Author Topic: Suzuki branded "soft" top box  (Read 1037 times)

Offline tomrxy

• Bike: DL650AGT K9
Suzuki branded "soft" top box
« on: July 21, 2019, 14:51:10 »
Has anyone on here have or know of a solution to the annoying triangle that sits on the lover portion of the top box, I have added a universal pad to the lid part but the wife still complains that's the triangle bit still digs in her back a bit, I've done the usual mod of fitting the Cymarc plate to relocate the top box 80mm back, which has made an enormous improvement. I can't see any reason why that triangle is thereon the inside of the top box its hollow into the triangle, seems like a stupid design and I can't find any reference to a "soft" specific pad that is designed to fit over it, I've added a photo to show what I mean

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Suzuki branded "soft" top box
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 15:52:23 »
Can't help with that, but your panniers are on backwards  :grin:
Does the Mrs's jacket have a back protector? That might stop the discomfort, it has worked for someone on here, can't remember who.

Offline tomrxy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 16:01:08 »
yea her jacket has one but don't think the protector is low enough,
I realised later on that day I had put panniers on the wrong way around, was in a bit of a hurry that day and just slung them on, bit of a doh moment lol

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 20:28:02 »
Soft was a name Suzuki came up with with the Italian maker of the luggage. (Not givi)

They were made specially for Suzuki for the V-Strom, and other shapes/sizes for the bandit and Sv650.

Unfortunately it's been a long time since they were in production and someone asked for exactly the same backrest pad when I was still working in a dealers 2 years ago. No stock left.

I've seen a few people have fitted Givi backrest pads, but it'll mean messing around with Givi/Kappa websites, finding a box of similar size and shape and taking a punt on which one to get.
You may get lucky and get one that's a perfect fit, on not quite 100% but will solve the problem.
They only screw through from the inside the box.

The mrs had the same issue with the top box on my Wee, but I bought the pad back when Suzuki still had stock. Suzuki have a habit of doing silly things like that sodding triangle bit.

Ride Coordinator

Offline BigAldo

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:44 »
I have a Givi soft backrest you can have. I'm in Blantyre, so pretty close to you.
PM me if you want it and I'll give you my address and phone number.
Aldo

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 19:36:30 »

I have to admit - I had no idea that Suzuki top boxes included a lover portion... especially an annoying triangular one, have you tried asking her to shave it off?  ...and what exactly does the missus think of it?
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline tomrxy

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 21:10:31 »
 :shock: I really should proof read or switch of auto correct lol

Offline tomrxy

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 20:09:52 »
may have solved the issue thanks to big Aldo’s generosity, removed the cheapo top pad and cut out a triangular hole in the back of it and fitted it to the lower part of the box over the triangle mould and fitted the new givi pad to the top section of the box, the wee wifey says it’s  comfier and more supportive sitting on the bike so just a road test needed now