Author Topic: Up and down movement in swinging arm  (Read 1144 times)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
Up and down movement in swinging arm
« on: June 19, 2019, 07:13:56 »
I took my 2014 DL1000 for its MOT which it passed but the tester showed me play in the swinging arm. He did this by leaning over the seat and pulling up the rear wheel, there was very slight movement, thou's. He did say nothing to worry about so I do not know why he showed me then.
My reply was that with several pivot points on the system any slight play in each pivot point would be amplified at the swinging arm.
I have since had the links out to grease and check the needle bearings and cannot see any issue.
Comments and thoughts on this please.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Up and down movement in swinging arm
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:40:14 »
I have some up and down movement in mine too  always been there. I greased the swinging arm and link when the bike was new and do the link every winter so it's never been a lack of lube.
I recently changed the rear shock to a Wilbers and the up and down play is gone now. The Wilbers has no needle bearing in the lower shock mount just a rubber bush like the top mounting point.

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 11:15:28 »
I have the same up an down play on my 2017 Vee. Stripped and geased the bearing and re-tightened to the correct torque and it still does it. The pre0load adjuster on the rear shock also has periods when it doesn't do anything. But everything seems to work fine even when I'm off road.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 17:26:49 »
A little play is to be expected on any bike with suspension linkage.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 19:21:51 »
He did say nothing to worry about so I do not know why he showed me

Maybe he was being nice by pointing out a potential future problem..  :shrug:.

I see this issue in most bikes with the linkage system, depending on the amount of movement I just pass and advise.
This lets the customer know of future issues.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 22:31:49 »
Monoshock linkages and shock absorber bushes nearly always have a small amount of play, even on new machines, its nothing to worry about unless it becomes excessive which is actually quite rare.

Customers that know their way around their bikes usually get a verbal advisory from me for things like this, there are many other customers who ride in with either flat tyres or no visible tread (or both) chains and sprockets so worn they have run out of adjustment etc etc, these customers need any advisories writing down for them for two reasons 1. in the hope that any minor defects might be attended to before they become a major defect and 2. to cover my own arse!
Ziggy I would have done exactly the same especially if I didn't know you, its nothing personal, you could be a secret shopper (we've had 3 in for mot's in the last 6 months, and those are the ones we know about) and they would expect at least a verbal advise.
The DVSA has invested heavily in catching anyone guilty of incorrect operation of the Testing Scheme hence the covering of ones arse!