Author Topic: Why should I buy the VSTROM THOU? :)  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Bedge

• Bike: DL1000 2019, GSXR750 2015
Why should I buy the VSTROM THOU? :)
« on: April 22, 2019, 20:12:20 »
Hello All... Tongue in cheek ask this as I am pretty much sure I am going to buy one anyway... :)

Taking one out for a test ride this week and although I rode one a while ago just want to be sure. I sold my AL2 650 a month ago and missing the option of a chilled ride instead of my GSXR..

And I was wondering why you all went for the Big VStrom rather than the other options BMW/Honda etc..

What accessories are essential? Should I go Suzuki original or after market..

Cheers,
Bedge.....

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
Re: Why should I buy the VSTROM THOU? :)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 20:50:30 »
All day comfy, great handling and brakes. Nice thumpy engine and just a nice thing to be on.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:43:07 »
What old git said, apart  from the seat which  kills me plus its cheaper to buy and run than the  rest.

Offline bako

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:23:19 »
V-Stroms are relatively cheap to buy and run. Handle well, mine seems to prefer being fully loaded with camping gear. Great for exploring twisty little back lanes and gravel roads.
Avoid OEM accessories, over priced, there's plenty of good, cheaper alternatives.
Wire spokes on the XT might look pretty, but are a pain to keep clean. The standard alloy wheels are stronger than you think.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 21:42:22 »
I should have mentioned that I've got a Sargent seat on mine that I got a great deal on but to be honest I didn't find the standard seat too bad.

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 12:47:32 »
Quote removed

sad but true, a lot of people buy them just because they aren't expensive to buy. Over the various forums people love to mention what a deal they got etc.  It doesn't happen on the BMW forums I also frequent.  It unfortunately gives rise to the standard quote that they are "good value" (sounding like "it may not be much but I can afford one").

In fact the 1000s and the 650s are both terrific bikes. They are reliable and long lasting. I find it comfortable, performs well and economically, handles well and, most of all, I never doubt I'll finish any long trip I'm on with my 2014 model 1000.  It's nice to feel confident with a product.
Centre stand, engine skid plate (both SW Motech in my case), Suzuki engine bars, get a 2017 screen if buying a pre-2017 model as they are much better at reducing buffeting.
Make sure you get a decent deal on any Suzuki accessories there and then as there is plenty of room for them to move on price.

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 13:16:35 »
They are a great bike all of what has been said is true, if you have ever rode the BMW F800 you will know is sounds like it has run out of oil a real bag of nails and expensive to maintain but they do have a shade more bhp but you do not really need it the v strom 650 is no slouch and the 1000 is better but it is the old saying "you pays your money and takes your choice" all I can say I am very happy with my 650 good luck with your choice.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 19:49:07 »
The thou is an accomplished touring bike, a big lazy v twin that will torque out of corners and overtakes with aplomb, handles very well on all road types, and stands up well long term.

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 10:56:23 »
Honestly.........
I put various options into the autotrader app 1000cc, budget etc. and up popped the V Strom. First impressions were it was arse ugly, however I could acquire a virtually new bike for my budget! After that it was just reading up about it, and finding out what the bike was all about.
I haven’t really been interested in bikes since I last rode (over 35 years ago), so completely out of touch. I’ve purchased the bike and it’s been sitting in the dealers for 3 weeks. When I finally get some time (self employed) and Sportsbike manage to send me clothing that fits I will collect it. I haven’t even ridden it (I haven’t ridden anything since 1981) so a bit of a leap in the dark.
But it does get some really good reviews and it looks full of character, you can faff around forever but in the end it’s just personal taste. It still an ugly bike though with a completely bonkers piece of plastic sticking out from the front of it :shrug:
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 12:27:04 »
Congratulations on your new steed. Without wishing to sound like a dullard and teaching you to suck eggs, please consider a refresher course if you haven't ridden for a while.

Enjoy your return to two wheels. :lala:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline tonybro

• Bike: DL1000GT L8
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 13:08:24 »
Just traded in my third Versys and opted for my first VStrom 1000. I absolutely love it. Second day out my mate took me over Wrynose Pass and Hardknott!
Said it would help break in for the first 600 miles!
Opted for scottoiler and topbox from dealer and since added Heed engine bars, Centre Stand from Moto, exhaust valve sensor plate and fog lights.
All for great prices and lots of choice and availability. Ride is fantastic, responsive and fun.
Wished I had discovered earlier.

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 16:53:59 »
, please consider a refresher course if you haven't ridden for a while.
I’m a chauffeur by trade and rack up some serious annual mileage 70k plus travelling mainly London / South East in an air conditioned gin palace.
But it’s all on 4 wheels not 2, and the standard of driving today is bordering on complete lawlessness at certain times of the day in certain areas. I freely admit the thought of riding a bike again is exciting but it’s playing on my mind. When I read posts on here quoting two kinds of bikers, those who’ve come off, and those waiting to come off it’s scary but I know it’s the truth.
Refresher training is being organised it’s the only the sane thing to do.
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 17:39:09 »
Cheers bud, my advice could have been taken either way. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Bedge

• Bike: DL1000 2019, GSXR750 2015
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 20:57:26 »
Thanks everyone for you comments and tips..
Had a long test ride on the 1000 today and signed on the dotted line so hopefully picking up next week.

Noticed the thread spun around to talk about training totally recommend Rapid Training. I go out with one of their instructors every other year.. Take a look at their website...

Cheers,
Bedge...

Offline D16PJM

• Bike: BMW R1250GSA, David Jefferies R1, ZX9R, Suzuki T20
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 21:34:32 »
having had BMW's I can tell you the bigger price tag no longer means better build quality, I have also had the big Honda vara, 5 of them to be precise, this is my first vstrom and it is much better than I thought it would be, better handling than the Honda, as comfy as the BMW and a better finish after a few miles, they are cheaper yes but it doesn't mean any less of a bike.

being a chain drive I see as an advantage as BMW bevels are good for around 40-45k before they start rumbling even with regular oil changes.

Pete

Offline Munchen

• Looking for a DL1000
  • Bike: VFR800
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 21:21:52 »
On the topic of training, I was surprised to find out that my neighbour takes a refresher course every year before the biking season begins.  This is a 40+ year old bloke, does at least 20k km every year on an S1000R but still feels like he needs to ease back in to riding every spring after a 5-month winter break.

I really thought that was odd considering his ability.  He's a more capable rider than I am, absolutely rags it whenever I've been out with him.

My natural reaction is to rib him a bit for being soft but then if it works for them, why not.  I'll have to consider it myself next year.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 22:24:16 »
"after a 5-month winter break"
What's one of these then  :shrug:  :grin:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Munchen

• Looking for a DL1000
  • Bike: VFR800
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 07:46:59 »
Quote removed

Very common in Germany my friend, means insurance cost is reduced for fair-weather riders who tuck their beloveds away at the end of October and don't wake them again until beginning of April.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 16:44:01 »
 :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline glenwatt

• Bike: Tenere 700
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 18:00:48 »
Traded up from a 650 K7 to the new 1000.
I also previously had a 1000K6, I have to say the improvements on the new model had me sign on the line after my test ride.

All that and on the road price for an Ex-demo, that came in almost half the price of some competitors.

I'm loving it so much much more grunt to play with  :auto-dirtbike:
Glen

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is an option !