Author Topic: Test ride findings DL1000XT  (Read 1264 times)

Offline motokr1s

• Bike: BMW R NineT
Test ride findings DL1000XT
« on: March 23, 2019, 22:18:11 »
Hello again everyone.
Of course you don't need me to tell you what's good and bad about the bikes you already own, but I did say I'd post my thoughts after my test ride, so here we go:
Good:
Riding position/comfort, although arms could be a bit lower. I seemed to get used to it.
Engine - great - I expected loads of torque and wasn't disappointed, but was pleasantly surprised by how smooth it was.
Brakes - phenomenal!!
Suspension - just right - firm enough yet compliant enough
Steering, handling, ground clearance and grip - all excellent - I could hardly believe how much it can be thrown around in the bends and still feel totally planted. I'd say it was at least on a par with a Triumph Explorer or BMW GS, and it costs a fraction of what they do.

Bad:
Throttle response at low speed/power - riding in town at 30mph limits seemed to be right in a lumpy spot in either 2nd or 3rd gear - is this normal and is there a cure?
Wind buffetting - wherever I put the screen it didn't make a huge difference
Sound - nice but a bit subdued - is there a good, road legal, after-market can that can be used at the same time as alloy side panniers?

So, on balance pretty good and I am still considering taking the plunge. I just want to try the Yamaha Tracer GT first as it should also suit my needs and is the same price once heated grips and a centre stand are added to the V-Strom (both standard on the Tracer GT as is cruise control which isn't available on the V-Strom).
Now, if I go for the Veek (have I got that right?) I've then got the dilemma about colour! Dealer has Yellow, Blue or Black....

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Test ride findings DL1000XT
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 06:55:19 »
I'm sure the Tracer GT is a great bike but comments I've read about them on the Super Tenere forum all say that they engine is superb...for about an hour. Once you get past the acceleration buzz and thrashing it for grins, as a tourer it is a bit tiring as the gearbox needs working to keep the engine in its sweet spot. I'm not saying it's crap, only that you need to take one on an extended test ride to be sure you can live with the character of the engine long term. Cruise control on a motorbike is bloody brilliant!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:54 »
Why the XT? The standard model is still, as far as I'm aware, more or less identical apart from the wire spoked wheels. I've got a Delkevic 450mm end can on my 2016. Not noticeably louder but the note is somehow deeper and there's a removable baffle for more noise if required. Standard panniers fit fine and it's much easier on the eye than the standard suitcase shaped can.

I do agree with your assessment of the bike, particularly the brakes, handling and suspension. Long days on Scottish Highland roads are my thing either solo or with the wife and it's the best bike I've ever owned for this purpose.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 08:18:41 »
The lumpy low down can be greatly reduced by instaling a healtec tre device, about 100 quid and takes maybe an hour or less.
Alternatively a power commander and dyno setup, but that is different money.
I believe there are exhaust cans that work with the luggage,  someone will no doubt confirm.
If you feel you want more, an arrow link pipe, a can, and power commander +dyno setup will give more oomph right through the rev range, making it much better higher in  the  rev range, as well as smoother.
I did mine, and swap between the stock can for touring abroad, and aftermarket for most of the time , the stack can will take some of the top end poke away with this setup.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 08:22:05 »
Just putting an end can and xtre on will give crisper throttle response and smoother low revs, that would cost about £400 with new parts.
Some people report good results going to Hilltop tuning for dyno work alone,but I can't vouch for that myself.

Offline motokr1s

• Bike: BMW R NineT
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 14:56:16 »
Thanks again for the replies - good tip about the Tracer engine - I will be mindful of that because I don't like frantic bikes.
One last question - does the strom 1000 tend to burn much oil?
Cheers
Chris

Offline wurzel

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 15:31:18 »
Mine uses no oil.

Offline porter

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 16:42:08 »
No  oil use here either. 26k miles, oil change every 4k, filter every other, never top up between.
The 2018 might be different than the 2014 as it's euro4 complainant but on a 14 a x-tre and a g2 throttle tamer sorts it out. But it'll  never run at 30mph like a three- four cylinder bike it's just to lumpy below 2500rpm and to tall geared.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 18:03:40 »
Mine doesn't use any oil.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 18:17:46 »
V twins often use oil. My wee used about the same as the Varadero 100ml per 1000 miles. Anything under 150ml is perfectly fine.

The tracer is a good sporty bike, but the clutch rattle, rock hard seat, terrible screen and vibrating engine make it a crap tourer.
I was glad to give it back after an hour.
The DL650 he 'made me' take out later was far the superior tourer, just asked for a bit more throttle to be applied. The DL1000 would have the power and better brakes than the 650, the tracers brakes were excellent, but very sharp if you weren't expecting it.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Mooshty

• Bike: DL1000XT AL8
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 20:51:21 »
I'm surprised you found it a problem in a 30 limit. Mine is absolutely fine and no it uses very little oil.