Author Topic: DL1000 won't start, 'CHECK' appears on the clock after ignition is turned on  (Read 5847 times)

Offline greentp123

• Bike: DL1000 K3
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in solving this problem. I've checked the side stand switch, kill switch, clutch switch all OK.
I have a Meta 357t v2 alarm fitted (14/15yrs old) that does not respond to the fob. If the alarm battery is dead would this throw up the 'check' message on the dash.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Offline oslin

• Bike: DL650A L5
possibly the immobilizer is still locked in, I do not think it would show up on the dash have you tried a new battery in the fob ?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Hi,
If your alarm and mobiliser is wired to the ignition yes it would. It's giving the same symptoms as if the kill switch was in the off position.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline oslin

I am not sure about that kwackboy I had a Triumph with a meta alarm fitted via the ignition switch and when I had trouble with that it did not show up anywhere, still I will bow to those in the know :-)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Hope you get this fixed quickly. Kwackboy is a proper Bike Mechanic so I would start with his advice.

Then rip the alarm out before it becomes too much grief and pop over to INTRODUCTIONS to say hello.

Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline kwackboy

I had a Triumph with a meta alarm fitted via the ignition switch and when I had trouble with that it did not show up anywhere

Most triumphs have a dedicated loom plug for alarms and on modern triumphs it taps into the fuel pump circuit and older carb models I think it's the kill switch circuit.
On budget models and some deluxe models triumph seem to scrimp on their electronics and make them pretty basic.
The dedicated loom plug for the alarm is completely separate from the FI system so when an alarm goes wrong it's won't recognise it leaving the owner clueless.

Older DL's have a safety system that throws up "check" on the dash if the side stand is down ,the kill switch is off and the clutch switch (I think).

If the immobiliser part of the alarm is faulty and it's fitted to the ignition or the kill switch it should throw up "check" on the dash as the ignition circuit has been cut off somehow.

Most alarms are fitted this way and if it's faulty it will leave an open circuit on the ignition.

Of course, I'm just assuming the alarm is faulty and it could be something else .? but, as the alarm is ancient it's more than likely that its on its way out. Just my opinion, I maybe wrong.

If so, have it taken out, they are more agro than they are worth.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline hector1000s

• Bike: DL1000K5 kmx200 350ypvs
I had a meta alarm on my v strom until recently as it was intermittently doing the same as yours. so I have ripped it out-theyre more trouble than theyre worth, Had one on my fireblade yrs ago and it just cut the ignition mid corner whilst riding!!
If I were you take it out cos It'll only let you down when least expecting it!!
cheers

Offline oslin

Thanks for that Kwackboy, I live and learn :-)

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
My Beta alarm does the same.It “goes to sleep” if the bike is not used for a few weeks.Simply turning on the ignition wakes it up if you do it before trying to “De-immobilize/turn off the alarm” or just shake the bike to wake up the “movement“sensor.Then simply use the fob as normal.
Ian Mc.

Offline kwackboy

Thanks for that Kwackboy, I live and learn :-)
I could still be wrong. Diagnosing a problem from a description on a forum is notoriously hard and it's great places like this that problems are shared and solved.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline greentp123

Thanks blokes for all your replies and so quickly. I'm going to pick up some key fob batteries tomorrow to try.
Farmer next door has jcb so I'll get him to shake the s--t out of it, that'll reset the movement sensor.
If no joy then I'll take the bugger out or plug it cos if it's not knackered now then it surely won't be long
I'll keep you posted on progress.
Thanks all

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Might be worth checking ignition fuse as well? Also, I would be double-checking the kill-switch, lol :grin:

You have been lucky with your alarm so far, I have always been let down by them much sooner - and always at the worst times! I paid to have the last one properly extracted from the wee, and slept better when it was gone!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline greentp123

Checked the fuses, they seem OK  Gassoon, will check the ignition though. Seems to be point to the alarm as pushing the fob button yields no response at all.

Offline olly18

• Bike: DL650 K5
Hi,
A lot of good advice from the blokes on the forum, just to add my tuppence worth,
I have a mate that had a meta giving problems similar to you  , it turned out it was the meta's battery that had died and apparently immobilised the bike, he was told the battery has a 10 year life span on avg, so you have done well to get 14/15 years out of it.
He just replaced the alarm unit which was plug and play, and his problem was solved.
Hope you get sorted.

Pat

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
“greentp123”
      PM sent.
      Ian Mc.
Ian Mc.

Offline greentp123

Sorted blokes, thank you all for your advice, and thanks Ianmc for sending me the link to the youtube video. Just ground off the AT screws and inserted 2 jumper wires, one in the white connector the other across terms 2&4 as per the video, and away we go!
Bye for now
Paul

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Glad you're up & running again..... But maybe there's a reason those instructions came by pm rather than being publicly posted?  lol

Offline kwackboy

Well , you can't get more public than YouTube ..  :shrug:.

Glad you got it sorted  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
I'm getting a bit paranoid now. I have a Meta alarm on my bike. I think this winter may see it being removed. Any chance you can PM me that YouTube link, Ian?!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Ssshhhhh! It's a secret!!