Author Topic: C 45 fault will face lambda sensor work on DL650?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Salix

• Bike: DL650 K4, 1994 Bandit 1200
C 45 fault will face lambda sensor work on DL650?
« on: December 26, 2018, 01:04:16 »
Hello everyone, first post here so hello to all!

I've been trawling through this and other forums but can't find the answer to this question! I did read somewhere that you can use an O2 sensor off a gsxr on the DL650, but can't find the thread or any info on it since! Can anyone confirm if you can?
I have a 04 650, it has this intermittent c45 fault come up, which isn't in the list of fault codes for the year of the bike as far as I can tell, but tends to only come on when I'm holding a steady pace and always on particular stretches of roads where I'll be holding around 60mph, never on country roads or any short trips with a lot of starts and stops.
I'm currently barely getting 200 mile's out of a tank but I'd be crawling to the petrol station at that point! And I don't hammer it at all, I don't like the way the bike behaves above 60mph and would never really go above 75mph on the motorway.
Anyways all this has me thinking lambda sensor as it seems to be one of 2 things along with the Speedo sensor that C45 indicates, (I have greased the sensor).
So, back to my question does anyone know if you can use the lambda sensor off a gsxr? The DL ones are so much more expensive!
Also has anyone else found any other solutions to the c45 fault?
Cheers and thanks in advance!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: C 45 fault will face lambda sensor work on dl659?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 08:48:29 »
A good info page...

https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7061.0.html

Lambda sensor can fail, it's rare on bikes but can.
An ow eliminator for the bike may fool the ecu into thinking the sensor is still.connected and give it a normal signal it's expecting.
I've done a quick ebay search but only came up with 07 onwards ones. You could message a seller and ask if they do one for 04-06 models.

Ride Coordinator

Online Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
Re: C 45 fault will face lambda sensor work on DL650?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 09:10:45 »
The factory service manuals have a good few pages on checking the O2 sensor on my GW250 & DL1000 books. Its all done with a simple multimeter which you can get for £10 or less. It may be worth borrowing/downloading a copy of the service manual for your bike and giving it a go?

Offline Salix

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 00:10:56 »
Thanks for the replies there folks:)
I finally got a chance to whip off the fairings and get into her tonight, I checked what I could of the sensor and it seems to be in spec, she's getting power from the battery and is within range on the heater circuit, only thing I didn't check is with it running which I'll do when the tanks back on it tomorrow.
I changed out the spark plugs and they were hotter cr9e's and feckin knackered! So I'm thinking they might be partly to blame for the lower mpg. Tomorrow I'll check the Speedo sensor as well as that is also said to be a possible cause of the c45 fault on these bikes.
Cheers for the heads up on the eliminator, I have looked for one but also couldn't find one. If it does turn out to be the sensor causing the fault I'll message one of sellers if for nothing else just to get rid of the pesky fault code!
Cheers lads

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 18:26:49 »
Hello,
Research on this fault doesn't bring up much results as to a solution but more as others have experienced the same However, it appears C45 and C44 may be the same fault on older machines.
As already said exhaust oxygen sensors rarely go wrong but your drop in mpg suggests it maybe running rich..?

As to your question.
So, back to my question does anyone know if you can use the lambda sensor off a gsxr? The DL ones are so much more expensive!   

I really don't see why Suzuki would change oxygen sensors throughout their range and if you do a search with images they are almost identical apart from the depth of the probe that sits inside, even the loom plug seems the same.
I'm pretty sure if you found another sensor with the same length probe it would work. 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 20:31:34 »
Fowler's website lists a few models that use the same oxygen sensor as the 04 DL650 here: https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/18213-16G00-000

Offline Salix

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 09:53:33 »
Thanks a million for the link there, really appreciate it  :ty:
 I bit the bullet and ordered a heal-tech obd tool yesterday, I was too busy through Christmas to go drinking so suddenly was feeling very flush! And might as well spend it before I make my way to the pub again of course!
I also changed the front sprocket up 1 tooth when replacing the chain and took her for a spin going by a road that nearly always throws up the fault and it didn't appear, it always seems to come up when cruising around 100kms/60mph or 4500 rpms which makes me think it's the sensor, there's certain stretches of roads where it always seems to come on, I'm going to try get to a few of them.
Anyways thanks again all of ye  :thumb: