Author Topic: Tracer 900 vs DL650  (Read 5894 times)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Tracer 900 vs DL650
« on: November 15, 2018, 18:51:25 »
Today I did a shocking thing...
I test rode a V-Strom!  :shock:

Long story short, I'm doing a bit more 2up riding and though the Varadero is an idea all day comfrotable mile muncher with plenty of grunt.
But, I've been finding it very heavy at slow speed and awkward to haul around by hand.
So I've been looking for options to maybe replace it.
Said replacement must be comfy for two, capable of carrying everything and the kitchen sink but still be a fair bit lighter than the Varabeast.

So I went to the dealer to check out a Tracer 900.
It's the older model with the S10 style dash, but with the fancy blue forks and wheels. 
Did about 20 miles in the hour.
The Brakes were Great, handling very light, but planted. There was a small aftermarket sports screen fitted, which did supprisingly well until the national speed limit was reached.
The dash was a little dull and hard to read in bright sunlight but you could read it.
The seat was rock hard even though the bike had done 10k so you'd think it would have softened up a little. Though it was wide as the rear of the riders section and has 3 different height settings. The pillion seat also seamed adaquate allthough I think SWMBO would insist on a sheep skin cover until I had both sections refoamed and recovered.
The engine picks up speed really well but without the low down grunt of my Honda I found myself going into the first few roundabouts in too high a gear. Once I tuned into the lack of torque low down and kept the revs a little higher where the engine responded well all was good.
The STD and B fuelling modes are a waste of time. After you use A mode for the first time you just set it to A and ride on. I did find that the trottle responce was a little jittery in traffic, but no more than the Varadero, so I'd be able to live with that.
The handlebars seemed very low but fell nicely to hand and nice and wide foor me with my long arms an experience riding low flat bars on my dual sport bikes.
The silly looking handguards also seemed to work well keeping the cold wind off my hands which I didn't expect given the shape of them- though I didn't ride the bike in the rain.
The two main negatives for me was the noise of the clutch. It rattled like a shaken bag of spanners until you pull the lever in.
Also and more importantly the vibration from the engine. I didn't expect vibrations from an engine that people have called a rev happy smooth as silk ride. I couldn't live with a bike that vibrated that much regardless of revs or road speed.
I came away from it quite diapointed. It has a few extra HP from the Varadero and is significantly lighter yet planted and a capable machine.
Pity the thing virbrates so much.  :shrug:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DpTnBebTJvaLjj4D6

The sales bloke hands me the keys to a DL650 demo and off I ride.
As with most technical inovations, I think their bollo##s, but the Low RPM assist really does work and work well. If you didn't know about it you'd just think you gel so well with the clutch and engine that you make it pull away that smoothly.
Well done Suzuki- that's one inovation that really does work.
The fuelling on the DL650 was just as I remeber it on my K6 Wee. The Tracer was jittery on the throttle in traffic and low speed the DL650 was silky smooth.
If you worked the DL650 that little bit, it wasn't that far off the pace of the Tracer and felt just as planted.  OK flat out the Tracer will pull away from the DL650, but I'm talking real world feeling of pace.
The seat felt far lower than I remember, but I did also fit a Vee seat and usually a sheeep skin cover most of the time. I'd likely go for a higher seat option or have it refoamed and covered but I could live with the stock seat for a while.
The suspenshion felt that bit more robust and not as wollowy as the early models but my Wee had done 50k before I changed the spring for a Hyperpro one.
I liked the digital dash, where I always have wanted old fashioned clocks with needles. I also likes the way the buttons cycled through the user selectable display. The top section would cycle if pressed forward (up) and the lower selction if press back (down).
The brakes are still as crap as ever.  :icon_batterup:
The engine has got smoother since the early ones like my old K6, but saying that my K6 felt smoother, but 60k miles will do that. I'm sure the new models will be much the same with a few miles on them. This Demo bike only had 63 miles on it when I started out.
I didn't want to give the keys back for the DL650.
Anyways, atm a brand new bike is not an option while saving for an expensive holiday next year and for a new kitchen. But I may start looking for a 15/16 year model one.  :thumb:
Don't tell SWMBO!  :whistle:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BM1nYADM4UugVPat7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/do9WGELeVJsPbmoz6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g4y1BqZfQE5rkeNK7

Ride Coordinator

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Tracer 900 vs DL650
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 20:36:50 »
An excellent summary there Mr Diver with only one sensible conclusion.

KTM. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 20:39:40 »
 lol
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 20:42:14 »
Harsh.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 21:27:56 »
@TLPower  lol 

Nah, I can't force myself to buy all new bike gear in Orange to match the yob paint colours.
I'm not a fan of German products either. (And yes I know KTM is Austrian)

And what today's test rides have proven... I want something with depedability and a split personality rather than all balls out adrenalin.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 21:31:12 »
And no beak?

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 21:52:40 »
to be honest I really liked the new bike and the beak isn't so offensive as on the Gleek or Veek.

But I'd be looking for a Glee XT and remove the silly beak.
The Low RPM assist does work and is good to have but I've been managing without it up until now.  :shrug:

I did forget to mention the Screen on the Gleek2 is still a stupid shape, is too low and does feck all. A bit like the front brakes.  :icon_batterup:
It would be a matter of madstad/palmer screen mount and maybe MRA clear touring screen.

The brakes would have to be SV racing parts mounts and some early 2000's CBR600 4pot calipers. I've got used to brakes that are fit for purpose. (The new SV are getting better front brakes for 2019, they have been using the same calipers as the DL all along)

Anyone want a Varadero?
38k miles.
3 owners
Givi luggage racks (no boxes)
Givi engine bars
Bikevis bullet v2 DRL's
Palmer products screen mount
12v socket on dash
Oxford heated grips
Centre stand
Dominator exhausts (loverly sound)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cgSqY1LSsmvaMQLHA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Us5eTPtvo4rPwEtc9

Ride Coordinator

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 22:05:36 »
You want spoked wheels  :shock:

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 22:25:50 »
I test rode an MT07 before buying my Glee, a great bike to ride but lacking the usability I needed at the time for commuting.. a fairing, bigger tank & big comfy seat.
Having swapped jobs, and no longer commuting, I tried a Tracer 900 thinking it’d offer all the MT07 did, plus more. Wow what a disappointment.
I tried all settings, and my best behaviour, but couldn’t get rid of the horrible jerky throttle, I felt I was riding like an amateur, lurching away from stops and crunching lids with the missus on every gearchange. I really wanted to like the bike, but when I returned and the salesman said “So..?” I said “ Not a chance”.
While the Vstrom ain’t everything, it’s a blummin good useable compromise.
Whether nipping to the shop, or across borders, for my general use I still can’t think of owt better.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 22:30:49 »
I've had a few bikes with spoked wheels.
They are not a problem unless they come attached to and Africa Twin.  :haha:

Spoked wheels are better offroad. Only reason the Varabeast hasn't done much offroad- it's too fecking heavy to pick up!

The Varadero and it's eventual replacement will not be used for commuting as the XJ600n hack bike now does this. So cleaning the spokes won't be such weekly problem.

(It's great when another store asks for something in a rush nowing you have a bike that can cut through the traffic. Only to be told I have no luggage on the hack bike, no under seat storage and I didn't bring a backpack. "You want it, you come and get it")

Ride Coordinator

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 22:35:48 »
King Orry, I came away feeling exactly the same.
I really wanted to like it and thought those stupid handguards and the lack of wind protection would be it's only issues, but those perseaved issues were no problem and the throttle and vibration were a deal breaker.

The glee on the other hand lacked 25% of the HP and to an extent the rush when opening the throttle but delivered better on every other point other than the shiyt brake syndrome.

Ride Coordinator

Offline TLPower

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 06:19:40 »
Even peering through my orange blinkers I can see you just described a Veek as being your ideal bike. :)

(Or a bargain tastic 1090) lol

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 07:11:38 »
Nope Glee XT (taking beak off) or Gleek XT and pretending the beak isn't there.

KTM is a no go for me, I'll stick to Jap bikes.
Too many things to go wrong and very expensive to repair when they do... and they will. They need to be plugged in to turn the sodding service light out when I do it myself.  :icon_batterup:

I worked on the parts/service desk in a Honda dealer. I'd never buy anything European, they just cause issues, the parts back up is crap and I'm not one to bend over and take the cost of dealer serviceing the damn things.
KTM, BMW, MV, MG, Ducati, Triumph in the trade all by words for piss poor products, high prices and frequent repairs.
Don't get me wrong, Jap bikes have their issues, Honda with their reputation for build quality have made some major cock ups in the past and more recently (Africa Twin wheels) but I'm not willing to take the chance on something European.

Now if they put the new twin cylinder Royal Enfield engine in the Himalayan style frame I'd be first there to test ride one.  :happydance:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 07:20:32 »
I can't believe you called the instruments "clocks" and TLPower didn't pick up on it. Must be the glare or the morphine!

Offline TLPower

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 07:33:24 »
I let him have the "clocks" jibe seeing as he humoured me with the KTM suggestion.

I don't think he's ruled them out just yet... :stirpot:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:24 »
I have read on various forums about many people getting rid of Tracers because they are not comfy over distance.
I switched to my 650 for similar reasons to yourself, having previously run a BMW R1100GS.  I checked out the other options but the VStrom is by far the most roomy for two-up riding. It really is all the bike you need in my opinion.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 08:25:01 »
The Tracer I test ride when I was considering changing the Glee was a disappointment. The engine was good, but the suspension was harsh, the standard screen was worse than the screen on the Z900 I also test ride, and the riding position felt cramped. I remember getting back on the Glee and thinking 'that's better'

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 09:30:10 »
Very much agree with what's been said except my bike did not vibrate. That said I almost never rode it in "A" mode as it made it snatchy. The seat was just that bit too tall for my old legs and the bars a bit too aggressive. The photo below shows it loaded for a two week camping trip to Cornwall followed by the August camp in West Wales. After passing through six miles of standing traffic on the A303 near Stonehenge I gave it some serious beans to 100+ and as I slowed down was snapped doing 79 and had to do a 'naughty boy' course.   
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:34 »
I went to my Yamaha dealers yesterday to look at the tracer gt. Liked it a lot.  Liked the riding position,  more sporty, feet back slightly more lean forward, might help with the tail bone pain I get on my Veek. Sat back on the pillion seat,  not too bad,  good leg room, seat thin thou.
So demo next. Had to sign a bit of paper to say if I crashed it I'd buy it! Didn't go on the demo after they offered 4k trade on my Veek. After thinking about it I guess 4k is not to bad as mileage is at 25k but I think I'll just ride away at the strom now its worth so little.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 10:04:03 »
I found the Tracer to be like a naughty woman, lots of fun for a quick, naughty ride but lacked the long term qualities and comfort of a Wife. You wouldn't take a Tracer home to meet your Mum.