Author Topic: Temperamental Headlight Glee  (Read 2046 times)

Offline harmony

• Bike: DL650, VFR1200X
Temperamental Headlight Glee
« on: October 23, 2018, 21:31:56 »
A couple of weeks ago, the main headlight (high and main beam) went off on my Glee.  I cycled the switch a few times after spraying some contact cleaner in the switch gear and it came on again.  It's been fine for a couple of weeks but as I commute into London at Dark O'Clock every morning, the first thing I do when I open the garage doors is power on the ignition (not starting the bike due to loud pipe and neighbours) to make sure the headlight's not having a issue.  It's been coming on so off goes the ignition while I suit up.  When ready, fire it up and ride off.

Anyway, this morning I turn on the ignition and only side lights.  Spray more contact cleaner and cycle the switch a few times... nothing.  So the VFR got a ride to work this morning.

Tonight, I've wiggled and sprayed every wire and connection I can find from the ignition to the relays, checked relevant fuses, checked both headlight bulbs, re-seated everything, taken the switch-gear apart and sprayed contact cleaner fully (everything looked really clean).  Still nothing.

Just for the hell of it, I started the engine and the bleedin' headlights come on.

Is this an issue?  Shouldn't the headlights come on without starting the engine?  The batteries strong and the bike does 450 miles a week.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Re: Temperamental Headlight Glee
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 21:52:30 »
I have this occasionally if checking my lights are working without the engine running. Normally just the main beam not illuminating. However start the engine and then they work.
Have started keeping battery on Optimate3 as bike not used everyday.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 22:07:21 »
Hello . The problem you have is a known issue. The problem is sometimes the main block connectors behind the radiator, they are fixed to a plastic cover (I think)
From memory it's either a black or a yellow block connector that's got about 9 wires going through them, also when you press the start button the headlights should temporarily go out to give max power to the the battery and on rare occasions the contacts within the start button can get corroded but these wires go to the main block connectors as described earlier so maybe worth a check.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 22:17:24 »
Or possible the starter switch, do a quick search :thumb:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:47:05 »
An old post maybe, but it has a good write-up and pix of the start switch maintenance: https://blacklabadventures.com/2012/02/19/start-switch-maintenance/

Offline harmony

• Bike: DL650, VFR1200X
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 21:47:25 »
Yep, it turned out to be the yellow connector pictured on the left.  Just tapping it lightly with my finger was enough to turn the headlight off.  I'm shit with electrics and the plug's really in an awkward position with not much play, so go the bike shop to fix it.

We have a headlight again.  Hoorah!!!

Thank you for your help peoples.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 05:46:58 »
Might be worthwhile fitting a headlight relay kit to prevent it happening again. I make them to order if required.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 08:08:11 »
+1 on the relay headlight kit. Best to cover those connectors, with inner tube or similar. Perhaps heat shrink tape would also do, if you can find the correct size.