Author Topic: Problem with instruments Vee K7  (Read 1072 times)

Offline P248

• Bike: BMW R1250GS (it replaced my DL1000 GT K7), KTM RC8, Suzuki GS1000EC (one owner from new in 1979, me!)
Problem with instruments Vee K7
« on: July 31, 2018, 14:53:09 »
Since joining this forum 3 months ago when I got my Vee I’ve read a lot about the problems with the electrical connector for the wiring harness carrying power to the instruments and lights. So I thought I’d follow the advice and open it up and check/clean it.
When I took opened it up all the connectors and wires looked clean and in good nick, so I sprayed both parts with contact cleaner and put it back together.
Now my instrument panel is dead and the engine won’t start, although it will turn over, the headlights and indicators are working and the neutral warning light and indicator repeated lamps in the instrument panel are working OK. The clock display has disappeared.

Any suggestions? Is there a clock reset procedure I need to do? Help, everything was working properly before I cleaned the connector.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Problem with instruments Vee K7
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 18:20:27 »
Sounds like you may have either cleaned them to death or you have dislodged something. There is a plug in the back of the instrument cluster too but that shouldn't prevent the bike from starting if it comes out. Just a case of check and double check.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline P248

• Bike: BMW R1250GS (it replaced my DL1000 GT K7), KTM RC8, Suzuki GS1000EC (one owner from new in 1979, me!)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 18:44:05 »
Cleaning consisted of spraying with electrical contact cleaner. I wonder whether I reconnected before the cleaner had fully evaporated and there was some sort of electrical short?

Everything in the Dowling seemed to work except the needles and the clock in the instrument panel, and the engine won't fire although it does turn over. And the alarm kept going off!

I can't get back to the bike until tomorrow morning, by which time it should have had a chance to dry out thoroughly. Fingers crossed it's OK then.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 19:30:49 »
The word "alarm" worries me.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 20:02:09 »
It "alarmed" me as well. I'd start there.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline P248

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 20:06:33 »
No problem with it until I reconnected the connector today. I had the connector apart and reconnected a few days ago without any problems.
What do you suggest I look at regarding the alarm?

Offline P248

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 10:00:18 »
Sorted! The 10A ignition fuse had blown. I've replaced it and everything (inc alarm) is working properly. Lesson learnt: contact cleaner needs quite a long time to evaporate, even in the climate change temperatures we're experiencing this summer.