Author Topic: Calling those that have come from litre plus bikes to a Wee/ Glee  (Read 4920 times)

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
Hi all.  I currently ride a BMW R1100S and am considering a Gleestrom.  I quite like the 2012 plus 650.  A 1000 would be the obvious choice for most I'm sure, but it's a shame they didn't facelift them when they did the glee.  I need something much more upright and comfortable due to issues with my hands.
So there must be a few people who have done the same (or maybe just come from sports bikes etc).  How do you find it, especially the lack of comparable power?  Do you still enjoy it?  There's definitely something to be had from needing to work an engine rather than having one that when you work it you're doing 100mph + before you know it.  It will be used mainly for day trips and mostly just myself.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Based on your reply from the Intro section, it appear as though the Glee will suit you fine. I suggest arrange for a test ride if possible. Better yet, ask if a member near you would like to let you test ride their Glee and in return you can let them test ride the BMW. Who knows, you may even become biker buddies for the odd breakfast run.

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
I had a Kawasaki GTR1400 before the Glee and don't regret the change for a minute.

GTR was great for motorways but that was it..... 99% of the time the Glee is a better bike and a lot more fun...

For starters the Glee is more comfortable, even standard seat is more comfy than the aftermarket seat I put on the GTR, it's also a lot more economical, lighter, does everything I want it to.

Took it to Belgium and Luxembourg 2 years ago, 2 up with panniers and luggage and it never once felt underpowered...  saying that I am now 52 so no longer a boy racer, but the bike does have a great midrange which is where you'll be using the power anyway.

Great bike.... just a pity my nearest Suzuki dealership is crap.

Offline cb1300rider

• Bike: 2005 650 VStrom, ST1100, honda c90
Hello from Derby :)
I joined the forum asking the very same question!
I had come from a R1200GS, before that all my bikes since 2008 were 1000cc+, cb1300, Fjr, Pan, Varadero.
I was worried about downsizing.
Yes it is different, am I missing the extra power - 98% of the time no.  Am I missing the extra weight of the previous bikes - definately not!  Certainly not missing the service bills from the GS!
I like the big bike feel of my wee-strom.  It has done everything I have wanted it to do so far.  Haven't regretted down sizing once.
Hope that helps

I found my Suzuki dealer very difficult to get a test ride from them.  Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry.  I had to travel to doncaster for mine, not a million miles away, private sale, went out for an hour, left her indoors as a deposit, with in a couple of minutes I felt happy with size/weight etc.  Bike rode fine, money exchanged, her indoors retreived and came home happy.

***just to add, I bought mine not knowing 100% I would be happy.  There is always the reassuring thought at the back of my mind, IF I don't get on with the 650, simply sell it, good ones don't seem to hang around long.  It is not a bike that would be difficult to sell on.***

Offline Jack Meoff

• Bike: 2015 Dl1000 Adventure
I used to own a Triumph 955 Daytona and a 650 wee at the same time. to be honest I had more fun on the 650. I now own a 2015 vstrom 1000 and its a far better and more enjoyable bike than both of the previous.
My advice, take both a 1000 and a 650 for a test ride.

Offline sjrainsford

Thanks for the replies so far all.  Seems a nice and active forum.  Actually that in itself can help sway me toward a certain bike.  Good advice, and yes will definitely take a test ride when I've sold the R1100S.  They're a bit of a niche bike and difficult to value so may take a while to sell.  But 2001, full service history and only 16K miles definitely puts it ahead of most on the market.  And it's a BMW with character. 

The bike swap is also a good idea.  So if someone local to south staffs fancies a go on an R1100S in return for your V-strom, it would be much appreciated!

My only issue with the 2012 ish 1000 is that it doesn't look as nice as the facelifted Glee. Was the 1000 updated in other areas though?  As I'm aware the glee was updated in quite a few areas from the 1st generation 650.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
The (proper) DL1000 stopped at 2008 and then a daft, single headlight, pointy version was brought out in 2014.

The Glee was a significant update to the Wee in 2012,including a Gladius engine, most of the updates were positive with the exception of the XT version which has spoked wheels and the most ridiculous beak you will ever see.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
2012 650 here, came from a 1.7 litre Yamaha cruiser and a Suzuki GSX1100g. Never miss the weight, size or presence of the bigger bikes. Occasionally when nobody's looking and you wring it's neck, the 650 feels less powerful (because, of course, it is- no escaping that) but this is largely made up for in handling. The 4 plug Gladius - derived engines are very good, doing at least 95% of what you need at least 95% of the time. Of course there will always be that moment when someone comes belting past and you think you need more power, but as regards rideability and fun I've done more miles on the 650 than probably the last three bikes put together. They really are rather good. 2,500 miles in a week in France last year with luggage and mountainous gorges, no problems. Loads on here do Euro tours two up on the 650.

But always get a test ride on any bike you can, even if you're not buying. It lets you know what you may be missing out on, and allows real-world comparisons instead of relying on journalists to tell us what we want.

Offline sjrainsford

Can't agree more Rusty nuts.  I take reviews from journalists with a pinch of salt.  But reading owner reviews on various sites they definitely seem to get a lot of love from their owners.

Offline Jack Meoff

• Bike: 2015 Dl1000 Adventure
 :text-goodpost:  What you 2 said! Journalists are full of sh1t IMO

This next bit taken from visor down...

It also feels quite revyy, with power building linearly as the needle heads to the 9,000rpm red line, with a good, throaty roar from the two-into-one exhaust.
The brakes are capable. They’re unlikely to surprise you with their power but also no grounds for complaint.

The last thing I would call this bike is "revy"!!
As for the brakes being "capable".. I would give the brakes easy 9/10

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
Re: Calling those that have come from litre plus bikes to a Wee/ Glee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 16:38:58 »
I had a BMW R1100S and it was one of my favourite bikes of all time! I loved it, economical, super comfy, could eat the miles all day, lovely quality finish... until the drive spline shaft lost it's teeth.

I had to get a garage (not BMW as they wanted £2,500) to replace the shaft, ended up costing me £1,500  :roll:

The mechanic said it was a common fault with Boxer engines, the shaft vibrates back and forwards when the bike is at idle and wears the teeth away. Once gone, no drive and an expensive repair bill to access it. So I repaired and sold the bike, would love another boxer but the design is still the same today so wouldn't touch one unless under warranty.

That's why I sold mine, but the Wee is a great bike. It is just as comfortable, easily eats the miles and is just as economical. The only downside is lack of extra horses when your at 90mph+. Having said that it has more than enough go and feels much lighter.

The main benefit for me is the reliability and cost of parts should anything go wrong. It's such an easy bike to work on too, eBay will keep you going and you can customise to the hill. I would recommend one any day!  :grin:
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 20:33:16 »
last december I went from a bmw1200gs to a new 650 vstrom. the BMW was getting too heavy for a 71yr old. the vstrom obviously has less power but after a couple of hundred miles not a problem. the strom's brakes are lacking compared to the brembos but at least they have feeling unlike the tiger 800 I tried. I am very pleased with the strom, 65mpg, good handling once the sag and rebound were set. just needs a set of decent tyres instead of the deathwings, if buying new get the dealer to swap the tyres at the start.

Offline SimStrom

• Bike: DL650 K7, 2016 Triumph Bonneville T120, 2011 BMW R1200RT, GasGas 200TXT, 2016 BMW R1200GS
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 20:45:07 »
I've got a 1200RT (11) and a 650 Wee Strom (07) and the Wee is the 1st choice out of the garage 90% of the time, cracking bike!  :thumb:
This message was sent from my 650's on'board computer system

Offline sjrainsford

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 08:02:19 »
I had a BMW R1100S

I see you had the 'Dyson' model  :grin:
Yes it does seem to be a common problem on them.  But regarding comfort, I can't really agree.  Well not for me anyway.  The sports bike style ergonomics just don't seem to suit me.  I've got a peg lowering kit on it and have tried the bars below and above the top yoke but it just kills my hands and back.  Don't get me wrong though, it's a bike that makes for a talking point as you don't see many around and they're going up in value now.  I'd describe them as a marmite bike and I've certainly had a love/ hate relationship with it.  I'll miss it for sure in some ways, especially as my mate had it from new and passed it on to me recently before he passed away due to the big C.  You're the perfect bloke to talk to though as you've done exactly what I may be doing.

Offline sjrainsford

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:13 »
I have to say, you're all making a good case for the 650!  I know most people will be enthusiastic as this is a Vstrom forum after all, but it is very common to find a lot of negativity on forums - but I'm just not picking that vibe up after having a mooch around.

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 08:28:57 »
I will always love the R1100S, its just BMW repair bills that make me unfortunately avoid them these days (now that I have four kids).  :crazy:

I am only 5'8" so for me the R1100S riding position was great, but I do find the adventure style 'sit up and beg' even better. I cover about 600 miles a week commuting to work, I never get off the wee tired or have any aches.

My last bike was a 2004 Suzuki SV1000S, again a great bike but I couldn't live with the fuel economy. It was comfortable and had more go when cruising at motorway speeds, but I was lucky to get 45mpg! The Wee on the other hand returns 60mpg (same as the BMW), and if I behave I can get 65+mpg.

I would have probably bought the 1000 version just because I prefer bigger engines. However as I do around 35k a year, fuel economy, insurance and general maintenance costs are high up on my priority lists, not top end speed  :)

I never tried the 1000 version as I had the same engine before albeit in a different style bike. I went for a short test ride and loved it, plenty of power and light as a feather in comparison. I would say go for it! Good luck  :grin:   
DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 13:26:33 »
I've never ridden the 650 so can't comment but can highly recommend the 1000. I also suggest you test them both if you can. The 1000 has barely 100bhp and most of the time it's enough but personally I wouldn't like any less.

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 17:17:11 »
I went from BMW,s [ had loads of them ]  as I was sick of problems one after another all "new" bikes as well  :angry-banghead:..went to a 650 v strom  .I was a bit concerned about the power drop ..but shouldn't have . I've toured all over Europe two up loaded with luggage and the bike has been brilliant … AND.. never had a single issue , totally reliable [ BMW take note ].

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 18:32:51 »
 :text-goodpost:  :thumb:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Wolfgang

• Bike: DL650 L6
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 21:15:41 »
Almost a year to the day I sold my 1200GS & bought a new 650 V Strom, Glee.
While not as floaty over the bumps in road the 650 is a nice ride.
First thing you'll notice is the outstanding fuel economy for the performance.
The finish on it is great having come through a winter of short commutes.
Last month I went off to Wales with a mate who has a 1200 GS.
He was trying to keep up with me through the twisties.
Great machines, you won't need 1000cc.