Author Topic: Calling those that have come from litre plus bikes to a Wee/ Glee  (Read 4917 times)

Offline jbaptista

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: Calling those that have come from litre plus bikes to a Wee/ Glee
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 21:47:33 »
I have changed from a 1000R to a DL650.

The first think I missed was the power, and I still miss it to be honest. The DL650 get's the job done, has better fuel consumption, cheaper to keep.
For touring, well let's face it, you can do with a 650 no problem, but it's no 1000c power comfort. And it lacks technology, such cruise control, keyless, curve leds, etc. And the most disappointing to me, is the construction quality. My bike made last month 1 year, and  already have several points of rust, and Suzuki doesn't care.

If I could get back would I buy it? Yes, it's a fun bike to drive, mine looks pretty, very economical, very comfortable, easy to drive and it's the cheaper on his segment.
Great engine, more than proved.

I would recommend that you test it first, also try Tiger 800 or Tracer 700 and see what suits you better. My apologies to the forum, for recommending other manufactures bike for testing.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 22:33:22 »
No need to apologise - I'd test every make of the style of bike I was considering buying.

The Glee (650) is a great bike but it does have issues, especially around the wiring (connectors above the radiator to name one), but it is also keenly priced.

It's also worth looking at owners' reviews on any forum as I wouldn't be surprised if the Tracers, Versys etc also suffer their own issues too.

I used to have a 1300cc cruiser which was like a rocket, but it also steered like a bus and was a heavy bugger. I still think I'd like a bigger engine again however every time I've test ridden any bike (inc the 1000 Strom) I've always got back on the Glee and found it much more comfortable and fast enough with enough power if you use the revs.

Offline jbaptista

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 22:38:31 »
I can think one cold bike. KTM Adventure S, also read about some electric issues, but what an engine my god and lot of tech :icon_drool5:
Too bad that is very expensive, at least to me.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 22:41:48 »
That is the bike that would tempt me and one I won't test ride as I couldn't afford it  :bawl:

Offline Superbiker_uk

• Bike: DL 1000 AL8 ABS
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 13:12:45 »
I've recently moved from a Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa to a DL1000 AL8. It was a slightly reluctant move after almost 7 years with the big 'Busa but I have no regrets now I have the V-Strom.

The main factor was to have a bike more suitable to what I was using one for - two-up riding with the wife. She always felt exposed on the back of the 1300 which I can understand. The V-Strom is much better especially kitted out with the top box and side cases as there is some support there.

When I was umming and arring about the switch I just reminded myself how much I enjoyed riding anything on two wheels. I did try the 650 and the 1000 two-up riding on a couple of Suzuki rider day events in the past few years so I knew what I was getting into. The 1000 was selected as it felt (and is) more powerful for two-up riding. I will be able to say more about that once I have some more miles on the bike.
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 08:25:13 »
I'm a little closer now.  Have put a deposit on a 2014 650 over the weekend subject to a test ride and what they want to give me trade in etc.  It's a metallic grey one and only covered 4000 miles.  Looks mint as you'd expect.  Had a good push around and sit on it and I have to say it feels really comfortable.  The lower weight in comparison to my R1100S feels good too.    One thing I noticed is, with it being tall the handle bars and grab rear grab handles are at a nice height for pushing the bike around, made me feel much more confident.   :thumb:

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL1050
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 09:48:21 »
I agree, I nearly dropped my Beemer a few times as it was a heavy lump with no real easy places to hold/push her with. I hope your test ride goes well, the trade in should be good as the R1100S is quite rare these days.

DL1050 Grey (2020) V-Strom

Offline sjrainsford

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2018, 18:44:20 »
I hope your test ride goes well, the trade in should be good as the R1100S is quite rare these days.
That’s actually the problem with them now. They’re hard to value, especially good ones like mine. I’ve been offered 2k for mine so far which ain’t enough for me. But book price is lower based on age. Would have preferred to have sold private but I could be waiting ages and sometimes I wonder if the hassle is worth the extra money and time.  If they can get to 2.5k I’ll be talking with them seriously then.

Actually a little nervous about the test ride as I really want to like it.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2018, 19:31:15 »
Wow, that's cheap! When I was looking back in May this year I did look at the R1100S out of nostalgia. I know the costs can mount up if it goes wrong which is why I went Japanese  :)

I sold mine about 5 years ago. It was mint condition, full BMW service history, new tyres the works. It had done 32k and was a 2003 plate. I sold her privately for £5,500 and had so many enquiries, so I presume these bikes still sell well. Try it privately if you can first, trade will usually offer you £1k below real value unless they are very fair dealers. Good luck  :lala:

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 19:59:02 »
I looked around and found you had to spend at least £3k to find one in good condition. If yours is mint then I would have thought £3.5k+?

By comparison my DL650 was only £2,100 which I think was a steal. The bike is old (54 plate) but was immaculate, full dealer service history and only one owner from new. He only covered 8k in 14 years, some years he only rode her to the MOT garage and back  :icon_no:

Offline sjrainsford

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 20:26:42 »
That sounds like my Vespa GTS300 owner. It’s only done 1500 miles since 2010. 400 of those have been mine in the last 6 months.

Yep I had mine up for £3500. Problem is they’re slow to sell. I’ve been watching a few bikes for a couple of months being put up for sale and taken down. They’re a marmite bike.  That’s why I think £2500 is about on the money for a trade in.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 21:53:11 »
At the end of the day if they offer what you want then happy days  :lala:

If I had the money I would buy yours to have as a second bike, just for fun. Fingers crossed then that the dealer is fair and you enjoy the wee  :)

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2018, 17:52:40 »
Given what you are riding, and want to ride with - I echo all previous advice....

Ride them back to back. And back again if you are not sure. That's what dealers are for.  I did, and the decision was made after the first roundabout on the 1K.

..and it was a 'power'  decision.
If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline sjrainsford

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2018, 12:49:44 »
Well, I’ve done it!
Am now the proud owner of a 2014 VStrom 650 in grey. Am really pleased to be honest. I took it for the test ride Saturday and within 20 minutes I knew it was the bike for me. It’s better to ride in many ways than I thought it would be.
Will do a bit of a review when I get chance. It’s already got a few extras fitted but I’ll want the Suzuki under cover thingy and will have to do something about the screen. Anything over 70mph feels like my head is in between those things on a pinball table. Have got an MRA x-creen I’ve fitted which helps but doesn’t cure it.

Offline graingerblaze

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2018, 13:19:17 »
Congratulations! You won't regret it, great bikes and glad you're happy.  :lala: