Author Topic: A few thoughts after a month of ownership....  (Read 3307 times)

Offline Jack Meoff

• Bike: 2015 Dl1000 Adventure
A few thoughts after a month of ownership....
« on: July 01, 2018, 16:53:37 »
Very pleased overall. Handles far better than it should for such a lump on stock tyres. Fantastic brakes, comfy riding position, nice torquey motor. Averaging 53mpg same as my old 650wee .
Couple of down sides, the seat could do with a bit more padding, maybe there's a gel seat available? And lastly the screen. How the f*** did this ever get past the design stage! The ratchet mech to adjust it is a great idea but the screen is sh1te, absolutely useless at anything over 60 whatever position you put it. It really does amaze me how they can get everything else so right and the screen so completely and utterly wrong.
Anyway I've been read through the posts on here and have a few mods on the go now.
First of all the horrible road legal baffle in the yoshi pipe "accidently fell out", big improvement in sound straight away. I've also got a TRE which will be fitted in next week or so. Then maybe off to hilltop for a remap. Finally the screen.... I'm thinking givi adjustable. I know its a bit of an eyesore but I'm at the age now where looks are secondary to comfort and being able to see where I'm going. Any thoughts on the screen before I take the plunge?
 Also a big thanks to Infidel for some much needed advice.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: A few thoughts after a month of ownership....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 17:25:19 »
This review would make more sense if you updated your profile to show what bike you own  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 17:44:43 »
Nobody will notice the "eyesore" Givi screen. You've got a beak to distract them.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 20:05:46 »
Givi airflow is a good screen, arrow link pipe, getting rid of the exhaust valve,  and power commander with the tre will give the best results for power gains on the Veek.

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 20:15:51 »
This review would make more sense if you updated your profile to show what bike you own  :thumb:
Good point!

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 20:17:29 »
Quote removed

What does getting rid of the exhaust valve actually do? Does the arrow link pipe come without the valve?

Offline wurzel

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 20:44:42 »
Basically I think it's there for sound emissions,the bike runs way better with it gone, but it affects fuelling to the extent you need to have a decent fuel controller set up.
Arrow do a link pipe without the valve, they can be hard to find, but they are out there.
Basically make a bike go substantially better you have to make it breathe, and that is the biggest restriction, the stock end can holds it back in the upper 2000 rpm, so an alternative end can in conjunction is even better for power.
Just having someone flash the ecu will possibly improve the fuelling,but it won't remove the physical restrictions,which hold the motor back, if you're looking for performance gains.
Just a tre and opened can will make the bike rev more freely, and that won't need the power commander.

Offline porter

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 07:30:56 »
 The givi airflow screen works the best but looks the worst.  I have it and the mra screen.  I've the mra on at the minute but you get more wind and noise over 70mph than with the givi, looks cool thou.
Tried two seats now,  Shad comfort and Suzuki tall but no improvement over the oe to be honest.  I just use a air cushion on the oe seat.   Maybe one of the more expensive seats would work better.
Not much done to engine here,  tre and a throttle tamer to smooth her out a bit and a remus end can with the baffle still in. I'd go the power commander way with a custom map rather than a re flash.  You'd get a map for your bike and come the end of ownership you've something to sell on. Good luck

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 11:59:34 »
Screen - Being 5'6", sitting on the standard seat, with Tuono mirrors and with the Suzuki toruing screen set at the second highest height I find I can keep the visor up all day when it's dry, at all reasonable speeds, and not suffer any buffeting.

Seat - having ridden many, many miles on flat, enduro style seats that are standard on XRV750's and F800GS's, I find the Stroms seat a delightful place to sit whilst riding long days and biggish miles.

Sound - have to admit that a breathing pipe that lets a v-twin "growl" properly is a joy to the ears - the Arrow can on mine grumbles beatifully without the baffle fitted  :happydance:

just my tuppence worth.

Steve T

:icon_razz:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline tony d

• Bike: DL1000 L5
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 21:42:27 »
sargent make a seat for this bike its expensive . but what a difference.

Offline Jack Meoff

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 06:25:28 »
Have you got a link?

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 14:11:40 »
I upgraded to a touratech seat, night and day difference for my posterior.

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 18:58:57 »
A pretty fair assessment of my experience on the new strom as well jack mate.  :text-goodpost:

More than happy, more than I thought it would be with 100hp. Its engine and suspension are great, especially the front - now dialed in, its ridiculously confidence inspiring for such a tall machine on dry roads. Stock tyres suck in wet imho.
Overall a joy to ride on a+ B roads and the one b.o.a.t I've tried. But this engine is seriously 'throttled' stock, with good reason in 6th, but can improve significantly if made to breathe.

ABS/tc is actually OK despite my reservations and brakes are probably the best I've owned - but need to replace horrid rubber lines as they won't stay that firm for long.

On the aerodynamics - its shocking. Like they didn't have a wind tunnel or anyone over 5'3" in the R&D department that day. I can get comfort with a piug, set to top position, on lowest elevation to a bearable 75. But that's it.The lower seat helped a bit, but is firmer than the stock one I'd say.

Before you change screen - try a blast with the mirrors removed first, then the screen, then both. I have a few times now, and it seems to me (so far) they both enhance each others problems. Lose-Lose if you will.

The puig is luxury with no mirrors, and I can live with mirrors and no puig (except in rain). With both on I experience something akin to a proton in a cern accelerator. Puig deflects air onto both fore and upper arms more than stock (pleasantly in this heat) but in the rain may be a to$$er. 

Also thinking of scaling up on chain size also. Not getting enough feel from that little scrawny thing. 

you pays Your money....
If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 18:59:23 »
I've got a Sargent seat and both me and the wife noticed a big improvement.

Offline paulja

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 23:45:20 »
The Givi is fugly, but works. Be aware that it can't be fixed (lower part of screen) in every position because some options blocks the lock to lock of the bars.
In my defence, she did leave me unsupervised.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2018, 05:23:08 »
"Scaling up on chain size"? Never heard anyone comment on "lack of feel" from a chain. If the back wheel turns when the right wrist turns, the chain is doing its job, surely?

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2018, 06:12:32 »
 :text-goodpost:

Heavier chain = less power to rear wheel and possibly less slick gear changes. Pointless exercise at best.

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 08:37:25 »
The only chain I'd scale "up" on is the one it gets locked up with ;)

Offline porter

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 09:25:38 »
I have my givi on all its lower settings ie lower screen on lowest holes,  screen all the way back and upper section right down too and nothing hits on full lock. I have no sat nax thou.
I know folk fitted a 530 chain on the older stroms but my oe chain is at 22k now so I think she's good enough.  Hopefully it'll last till the end of  the year and about 25k, I'm more than happy with that on a big v twin.

Offline Graham B

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 21:36:14 »
I have an MRA x creen and it works a treat, you just attach it to your existing screen. I attached it to my Suzuki touring screen.