Author Topic: What resistor to use for disabling oxygen sensor on K2?  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Martinest

• Bike: 'DL1000 K2
Hi!

I bought a bike with unfunctional oxygen sensor (wires are snapped from the base). I would like to disable it till I figure it out what to do with it.

I found writings form internet that just connect 2 white wires and things will be OK.

It is not working for me.

Troubleshooting C44 error from manual says the resistance between 2 white wires should be 4-5 ohm. I bought 4.7-ohm resistor and it burned on me when I started the bike (at least it started not like when connecting 2 wires together).

I tried 100k resistor and bike started and run OK  (didn't do test drive).

I understand, that when the bike is not working the O2 sensor resistance should be 4-5 ohm. When the bike is warmed up and running with OK fuel mixture then sensor has another resistance and this is giving ECU signal not to change the fuel/air ratio?

What resistor should I use for fooling ECU that O2 sensor is working fine and no changes are "ordered" from it?

With 100k resistor it was working but I'm afraid it might send ECU wrong information and "give orders" to change the mixture.

Regards
Martin

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: What resistor to use for disabling oxygen sensor on K2?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 10:27:18 »
You can buy ready made 'O2 Eliminators', however, people only tend to fit them if they are installing a Power Commander or similar.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Martinest

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:16:23 »
I know that there are Eliminators but aren't those just connectors with the resistor?
I have 600-700km trip coming this weekend and just wanted to disable the error before it so I can track trip etc.
When I have the opportunity to pay 20+€ for the eliminator and wait for weeks for delivery or 0.20€ for the resistor and solder it in place under 5 minutes myself I would pick the last option  :icon_wink:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:32 »
The only job the resistor does is turn out the error code . Tricking the ECU into thinking your bike is running OK is a whole different ball game and that's called a power commander .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Martinest

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:56:53 »
Quote removed

Well, the bike has run without working oxygen sensor for last few years. My understanding is that ECU as default map that it is running when O2 sensor is not giving feedback. TPS, IATS etc sensors are monitoring the FI system and giving feedback to the ECU. I have only driven the bike 100km and can't complain about the power lack or anything like that.
It is hard for me to belive that tricking the ECU to think it is running OK without PC is the only way to go. ECU gets the info from all sorts of sensors.

PS! Only EU bikes have O2 sensors. You are saying all the USA bikes run with PC?

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 13:58:27 »
Why not just get another 02 sensor?
Job done...... :fix:

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 18:37:16 »
When I fitted a Power Commander to my K8 Vee I needed to disable the O2 as the PC map required this. Despite lengthy rummaging on the internet I couldn't find any plug for doing this and I ended up unplugging one of the connections in the ECU itself to stop the FI coming up on the dash after disconnecting the sensor. Finding the right connector to disconnect on the ECU was also a headache as the only one suggested by Dynojet was not the right one. I understand that fitting a resistor across two of the O2 sensor can be done, but at that time no one seemed to know what value to use or what connectors (I think there a four wires) to use.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 18:48:23 »
I used something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Resistor-Adjustable-Resistance-Linear-Taper-Potentiometer to fool my ECU into thinking the coolant temp is higher than it is to come off the cold map earlier. I was able to adjust the temp reading by several degrees.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 12:03:34 »
Coolant temperature sensor is just a variable resistor which is easy to replace with a fixed value. The ECU is expecting a resistance value of some sort between the cables.

The O2 sensor is constantantly switching from a high to low output depending on whether it detects a rich or lean burn situation. To my knowledge its not a variable resistance value. This switching will affect injector duration and therefore the fuel trim.

I know the Vee  doesn't have the latest greatest ECU, but I can't believe that a resistor will emulate the O2 sensor in any way. You will also lose the fuel trim which could result in excessively rich or lean burn (unless running a different map).

In short I don't think it's a good idea even if you could get it to work. 

Offline Mudster

• Bike: Honda PCX125 and DL1000 K3
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 12:09:50 »

PS! Only EU bikes have O2 sensors. You are saying all the USA bikes run with PC?

I would suspect the US bikes run a different map which may be safer from a lean burn perspective.

To be fair, I have posted from my knowledge of car O2 sensors, as the Vee  is the first bike I have owned with one and I haven't fiddled with it.