Author Topic: Improve Acceleration on DL1000  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Graham B

• Bike: DL1000A L6
Improve Acceleration on DL1000
« on: October 06, 2017, 19:25:52 »
Any advice on how to smooth out the snatchiness at low revs, is it worth using a dyno and a power commander or flashing the ECU? I used to have a fireblade and miss the acceleration. I would like to increase the throttle response and acceleration.

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
Re: Improve Acceleration on DL1000
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 22:08:26 »
according to expert Dale Wallker at Holeshot performance, Suzuki seemed to have created this motor to produce about the power/torque figures it does. With all out performance exhaust and other tweaks it may approach 100 hp at rear wheel (instead of 90/91) and more evenly lineal torque but that's about it.
But its quite a quick bike anyway; just effortless so it gives no great adrenalin rushes.
You could go a tooth less on the front sprocket or maybe 3 extra on a rear (some blokes here would know from personal experience) to enhance acceleration and get rid of some hiccuping down low but that's about it. 
My advice is to run it in bravely, not nursing it nor lugging it but running it freely up and down through the rev range. Then get used to it over time.
A riding friend and myself both have this model and do not find stop/start/crawling traffic the least bit of a problem. Whether you have problems we don't or whether it's down to familiarity with product I can't say.   

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 23:05:34 »
My Fireblade had 175bhp. My V-Strom has 100bhp. A V-Strom is never going to come close to a Fireblade's relentless urge. The Fireblade is the best all round performance bike I've ever or will ever own but I have to be honest. I have much more fun on the Suzuki. Maybe you need a new Fireblade?  I can understand this  :)

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:58:57 »
The low rpm running can be helped  with a tre ( timing retard eliminator) and a G2 throttle tamer.
For more power you need the header pipe changed for the Arrow system and a power commander of some sort. But it'll never be a fireblade it not that type of engine.

Offline Graham B

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 18:44:16 »
Thanks for the advice, I probably need to rev the bike more and get used to it or change to something like a Ducati Multistrada. The Fireblade just became too uncomfortable after about 50 miles in the saddle.