Author Topic: Tall rider help required  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Old Biker

• Bike: DL650A L3
Tall rider help required
« on: April 07, 2017, 23:35:34 »
Many thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. Having had a quick look around the site I notice there are some other "tall" blokes out there with v-stroms and noticed that you seem to favour the Givi screen option so will check this out. On a similar vein how did you get around the rear view, I find the standard mirrors next to useless. Has anyone done a conversion to mirrors on the fairing rather than the bars? Seems to me that the official extenders don't do enough to overcome the situation.
Cheers Old Biker aka Harry

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Tall rider help required
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 06:20:02 »
Harry, I've just Googled "v strom mirror stalk extenders for tall riders" and there are a few links available. Since you may have already done this, an alternative maybe is to contact an engineering shop and ask them to machine custom mirror stalks to suit your requirements. It's not that difficult to make yourself if you have the tools and the thread taps.
Just a word of warning on the thread tap, take note of the stalk thread direction for your model bike. I remember reading that the earlier models have a different thread direction on the one mirror stalk to that of the later models. The normal mirror extender may not be the solution but a proler stalk extender may do the trick. Sorry I would have to search for these links and the web sites. Perhaps one of the members can help you with a link to the relevant info.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 08:46:51 »
If you've got the stock mirrors (square ones), many people change them to Aprilia Tuono mirrors. A quick search for 'mirrors' in the search box at the top should bring you up a few threads on them e.g. http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=26505.msg300799#msg300799

Tuono mirrors on mirror extenders (c. £10 from M&P) work well for lots.  :thumb:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 10:27:06 »
I am one of the taller riders Harry - I just went for the Tuono Mirrors and normal extenders. I've not found a screen version I like and have given up looking.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:01:25 »
In my case:
- Aftermarket mirrors on extenders from eBay
- Footpegs lowering kit
- 25mm handlebars risers
- Givi Airflow screen
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 14:33:23 »
Hi Harry & welcome.

I'm 6'2, a peg lowering kit is worthwhile, I have a Givi Airflow and while this seems the best option that I've tried, I still get a light buzzy trembling kind of turbulence at motorway speeds that becomes annoying after a while - so not a one stop fix for me but I'm still tinkering with it.
The winglet deflectors do make a surprising difference at removing wind to the upper body & are quick, cheap and simple to make and bolt on, details are over on 12-16 section on stromtrooper.

Now - the mirrors, I tried the BMW/Aprillia shaped knock off mirrors. To me they offered no noticeable improvement in buffetting/turbulence (although they look like they should be better) but to me, the rear view from them was dreadful compared to the stock Suzuki items, which I find the best in the class for giving a good wide view
I don't have mirror extenders but may make something to raise & push them out slightly for an even better view (but keeping them no wider than the bars for filtering). I very much doubt you would be impressed by the smaller mirrors if you find the oe ones lacking - are you sure they are oe and not already been changed? 
I do find the stock mirror ball joint has very limited adjustment and the stems need positioning 'somewhere near' on the threaded mirror stem, using the mirror end ball for fine tweeking (if that makes sense).

We are all different and I seem to stand alone in my dislike of the smaller aftermarket mirrors!!!

Regards Phil

Offline lekyuk

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 18:17:23 »
Hi. I'm 6 fpot 9. I have stock mirrors which keep me alive. I have the lower kit added to the pegs and and the very cheap round stick on lens on the rh mirror. Does the trick.

Leky
2012 AL2 650 V Strom

Offline 500mg

• Bike: 2011 DL650 AL1
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 16:59:12 »
I'm 6'3 and suffer with the usual buffeting, spent ages trying to sort it but eventually gave up and just accepted it ! I have the Givi Airflow, Tuono mirrors and extenders fitted.  Today I bought a Shoei GT Air helmet and what a difference, not perfect but a vast improvement, I now believe the type of helmet makes a significant difference. Just wish I bought it 3 years ago.  :lala:

Offline JonJo

• Bike: DL650 AL4
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 20:31:00 »
6' 3" here and find the stock mirrors are fine - nearly as big as barn doors. As Hondaman says, get the stalks in the right position and fine tune with the ball joints.
+1 for the footpeg lowering kit - it's amazing what that extra inch does for comfort (fnaar fnaar). Got mine from http://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/. Mark's a great bloke and only makes top quality stuff.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Offline Graham B

• Bike: DL1000A L6
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 21:07:03 »
500mg, I cured the buffeting with an MRA X -Creen Sport, it is an excellent piece of kit and you can either clamp it on top of your existing screen or bolt it on. MRA also have a touring version but the sport does the job.