Author Topic: SatNav powers down when I go on full beam  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
SatNav powers down when I go on full beam
« on: March 06, 2017, 20:45:34 »
I have a 2013 DL650 AL2, to which the previous owner had fitted a SatNav mount.  All works fine, until I'm riding at night and want to fire up the main headlight beam - the SatNav responds by telling "External power has been lost - switching off in 13, 12, 11... ... seconds; OK or touch 'cancel' "; so I have to either go back to dipped beam, take my hand off the bars to 'cancel', or allow the thing to power down - none of which are satisfactory states of affairs!

I'm assuming the wiring has either been done wrong or at least suboptimally?  I need to investigate obviously; can anyone advise what I might expect to find and how the SatNav should be wired?

Incidentally in case it's relevant the previous owner also fitted a pair of auxillary daytime running lights; however it makes no difference whether these are switched on or not; the SatNav always switches off only in response to the main beam.

Thanks!
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: SatNav powers down when I go on full beam
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 20:57:06 »
Sounds like someone tapped the dipped beam feed for your gps. If you haven't got heated grips the connector for them can power the satnav happily, and goes off with the ignition. There's also an accessory connector in the front r.h. side, which is a permanent live - if you leave it in the garage with satnav mounted, this can drain the battery but it keeps your map / route on while making fuel stops etc so it stays paired to your bluetooth kit. The connector locations are well documented on here and Stromtroopers.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
Re: SatNav powers down when I go on full beam
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 20:57:42 »
Opps .. by the sound of it the previous owner might have wired the satnav power to the low beam supply.
If you can follow the satnav wires to see where they go to.   
Chief trouble maker 🙂