Author Topic: Repair stolen V-Strom  (Read 7813 times)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: Repair stolen V-Strom
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 21:24:25 »
Angelo,
mine has full insurance (theft, crash, fire...) in Portugal, at Lusitania Seguros.
Bike is now 2,5 years old. Price is €500 a year but they keep the same total value of the bike at €12.600 since it was new.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline angelo_lopes

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 23:08:26 »
We won't be an EU country for much longer  :lala:

That said, I'm curious, do you not have the option for 'Third Party, Fire & Theft? That is a pretty basic cover here.

All the best to you British People after leaving EU. I don't know if it will be better or worse. The future is always unpredictable. It was your choice, I can only wish you luck.

Regarding insurance we have but the price is prohibitive. With the devaluation of the motorcycle ceases to make sense. If you want insurance with more coverage the option is to make leasing or even renting, not to buy cash.
--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
Porto, Portugal

Offline angelo_lopes

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2017, 23:15:31 »
@bosnjo
For total loss Lusitania will pay the market value, not the price you paid for the bike. Confirm with the blokes   :icon_wink:
--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
Porto, Portugal

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2017, 06:07:45 »
That said, I'm curious, do you not have the option for 'Third Party, Fire & Theft? That is a pretty basic cover here.

There are some strange systems/practices in our European neighbour countries. I tried to figure it out, got confused & gave up! Their insurance companies have obviously not learned how to scam their customers quite so well as our own 'Honest Brokers'. I believe many have a system of insuring the vehicle and not the driver, so premiums reflect more on the value & performance  rather than how good you are at avoiding accidents and speed cameras, anyone can drive an insured vehicle and when you sell it the insurance goes with it. Vehicles are all 'Third Party Only' and if you want extra cover you have to buy it on a personal basis (more akin to our insurance system). I have no idea if this is the case in Portugal.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2017, 08:24:21 »
.....cue AndyM with "REGO NOW" !

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:04 »
Angelo, whatever insurance you have, you receive the Insurance Policy once a year. At that policy, there is the "Value Insured". Mine is €12.600 for a third consecutive year. They've confirmed it after I placed my doubts.
The same company (Lusitania) I have for my car. Now, that's different story. On the Insurance Policy I receive once a year, the "Value Insured" goes down each year and represents market value of my car.
That's pretty clear, isn't it?
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 14:10:12 »
I now have your bike in my shop (arrived yesterday).  It appears they (the scumbags) have tried to hot wire your bike by smashing the top yoke to get to the ignition but failed misserably. I've rescued your ignition and from first impressions to get your bike back on the road the minimum needed is ...
Top yoke ,  front brake lever , right front indicator , right hand guard .
Once these parts have been replaced I shall run the bike up and make sure there are no other issues .

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 16:12:43 »
It's a real shame all dealers couldn't post pictures of the work they were carrying out on our bikes  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline kwackboy

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 16:48:58 »
Only for forum members that live in Portugal. ...  :icon_wink:.
On a serious note though , some jobs I take photos as proof the works been done just in case I get a disbelieving customer.
Unlike Holmsey... he stands and watches you do the complete job ..  :shy:lol.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline greywolf

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 16:52:29 »
The thieves were destined to failure. A V-Strom cannot be hot wired by conventional means. Connect the proper ignition wires to power and all you get is a C42 error.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline angelo_lopes

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2017, 16:57:34 »
Thanks God they failed miserably, Brian. And very good that you rescued the ignition.
This morning I bought on eBay a new seat taken from a new (zero miles) bike that was used for a race project and wrapped up ever since, in perfect condition. As you know the b@st@rds destroyed the seat with a knife and broke it. It will arrive next Thursday or Friday.

Please replace whatever needs to be replaced and can not be fixed, and now that the bike is on your shop, please perform the periodic maintenance. I did it back in May 2015 when the bike has 27.133 Km. I think my son never went to another inspection. He is not at home now for me to ask.

It's a real shame all dealers couldn't post pictures of the work they were carrying out on our bikes  :thumb:

Yupp.  Thumbs up to Brian, to Burwin Motorcycles and to this Forum who helped me find a good mechanic shop in London.
--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
Porto, Portugal

Offline kwackboy

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2017, 17:16:47 »
Glad I could help .. :thumb:.
Once the repairs are done I will gladly service it for you .

They basically ruined the top yoke for nothing by forcing the steering lock . The ignition wires were wrench from the loom (behind the radiator) trying to hot wire the wrenched wires . Dumb idiots didn't spot that those wires went to the switch and not the loom.
The top yoke is going to cost a fortune so if you want to buy one on eBay  (there are a few ) and have it sent to my shop I will fit it for you . The indicator / hand guard  and the brake lever are minimal costs. Let me know .. :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 17:44:14 »
Nice one Kwackboy, reading this post shows what a good V-Strom forum community it is on here. :thumb:

Offline angelo_lopes

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 19:00:44 »
The top yoke is going to cost a fortune
Brian, do you call yoke to the HEAD, STEERING STEM part#51311-27G00?
If yes, it's good for V-Strom (DL650) from 2004 to 2009 plus 2011, costs about £240 and I am going to search it.
Curiously, the seat part#45100-27G00-H1N also fits Stroms from 2004 to 2009 plus 2011 whose price was about £323. Even more.

Ronayers website gives a great help searching for parts. Just insert part number on page http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/c/suzuki_motorcycle/parts and then click where used
They have OEM parts for the four japanese brands
--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
Porto, Portugal

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 19:26:06 »
Unlike Holmsey... he stands and watches you do the complete job ..  :shy:lol.

I only stay for the banter and cups of tea. ...

If I'm not welcome just say so and I'll take my bike to your competitors down the road  :stirpot:
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline angelo_lopes

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 19:44:38 »
Let me know .. :thumb:

Boy ... lucky me today. After finding the seat for £99, I just found in Italy a PIASTRA STERZO SUPERIORE Suzuki DL650 V STROM K7 2007  lol  not brand new like the seat but in a pretty good shape for £33.84 + £29.61 postage. All set now, steering stem will arrive UK Fri. Mar. 3 to Thu. Mar. 9 they say.

In Portugal the price of labor is as follows:
General Mechanics €29.99/hour
With Customer watching €39.99/hour
With Customer watching and guessing €69.99/hour
With Customer watching, guessing and helping €99.99/hour
These prices do NOT include VAT at the legal rate

Some pics

--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
Porto, Portugal

Offline kwackboy

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 22:27:47 »
If I'm not welcome just say so and I'll take my bike to your competitors down the road  :stirpot:

You are always welcome ...  :) . As for competitors, come on, seriously ..! . Our tea is far better..  :grin:

Angelo, the seat and top yoke are spot on ..  :thumb: , are you sending them to our shop address ?
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline angelo_lopes

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 00:59:47 »
Nope. To my son because his address is Paypal verified. Next day it arrives you will have the yoke. The seat will arrive sooner but it is not so important for your work.
--
Angelo Lopes da Silva
Porto, Portugal

Offline kwackboy

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 10:57:08 »
OK .. so she lives .. !! Running well .  I've now ordered your handgaurds , brake lever and indicator , Unfortunately the guards  come in pairs .

I know you said to do periodic maintenance so I've check her over. May need a fresh battery (although I'm trying to save your one) , new airfilter , rear pads , rear tyre and fresh oil and filter (it's currently very low) .
Would you like me to sort all of this ?

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 11:13:14 »
Which hand guard are you needing? I'm after a RHS one if you only want the left and want to sell the other? Not sure if the ones on the Vee are different to the glee?