Author Topic: Vee Batteries on Ebay  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
Vee Batteries on Ebay
« on: February 11, 2017, 18:36:33 »
Well it had to happen. The first week of riding my bike to work as I sold the 4 wheeler and when I finished work on Thursday (the bike had been stood outside for 2 days) the battery was flat - just enough to turn the motor very sluggishly until the click click of the solenoid.

Anyhow... Where to buy a battery on my travels...? Couldn't think of anywhere that I could park an artic near without causing major problems so I looked on the good old Bay of E.

I was sort of expecting to pay around £50/60 and indeed there were some Motobatt ones for £56 inc postage - Then I saw some for a tenner cheaper!!!

Always a little suspicious of a cheaper identical part I looked for the part number and although it's advertised as for a DL1000 it was a 12AH battery - The Vee is supposed to be a 14AH.
The thing was after checking the dearer battery the advert didn't give any description apart from Motobatt! Very helpful.

So I didn't buy either and trusted a supplier that I've already bought 2 batteries off.

Beware the cheaper battery - It might not be what you're expecting.

Offline FlyingPanMan

• Bike: KLV1000 2004
Re: Vee Batteries on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 00:27:16 »
I've had 3 Motobatts and all failed rather too quickly. Go for Yuasa, or try what I recently bought, a lithium battery. No probs with it so far and the lightweight is amazing.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:08 »
Yuasa is the way to go.
V-twin engines requires a fair bit of cranking power to turn over so get a decent make battery.
The Yuasa model for the Vee is YTX14BS.
The wee/glees takes a YTX12-BS.
Mdsbattery.co.uk have the 14bs atm for£49.95.

Just be glad you don't have to buy a YTX20CH-BS like I should for the Vara... usually over £100.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 23:16:13 »
So I didn't buy either and trusted a supplier that I've already bought 2 batteries off.

Oh dear. That's not quite what I said when I received that battery - it was MASSIVE. There was no way it was going to fit... So that's put paid to me trusting a supplier! They did offer to exchange but the cost of sending it back makes it a bit silly. So I'll have to sell it locally (having seen how many couriers will not accept a battery as a parcel it makes it hard work)

So I'm going to try one of these new fangled Lithium jobbies. Will let you know how I get on next week...

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 00:04:22 »
Sportsbikeshop selling Yuasa YTX14BS for £39.99 if you have not already committed to the lithium.
Just fitted one to the Wee, original YTX12 not giving any trouble but at nine years old thought I would try and preempt any.

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:42 »
Ta for that but I've ordered a lithium one, they claim extra cranking power so it's worth a shot. I've checked the dimensions and I'll be able to get the seat on with this one.

Offline Paul8

• Bike: DL 1000 K7 GT
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 14:07:07 »
As a tip to starting your bike, the mechanic showed me how to crank the bike with reduced battery power. Place the bike in neutral, hold the engine starter button in and then turn the ignition on. this stops the headlights coming on when you first turn the ignition on. Simply pull the clutch lever in and bike should start. It worked for mine when the stator wasn't charging the battery.

Offline Hugh Mungus

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 21:44:42 »
I've been doing that Paul and it's now my way of starting the bike as routine.

The new lithium battery has arrived and I know they said it was lighter than a stock one but it is amazingly light! Spins the starter motor with what sounds like a lot more oomph too.

I'll see how I get on with it.