Author Topic: Ground anchor advice  (Read 8251 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Ground anchor advice
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 05:50:10 »
Your neighbour is probably a Wednesday fan, they all have that vacant look...

On the creative side an old cast engine block weighs a fair bit, stick some plants down the bores and make a feature of it, loop the chain first and you have an anchor. FreddyFruitbat's idea is sound, I buried part of a diff from a bus and back filled when I had my KDX200. Though that was nicked whilst I was riding it.....that's another story.....
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 12:33:53 »
You can't drop that one and walk away.

Ride Coordinator

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 13:38:49 »
Details!!!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 19:16:37 »
Kind of a relevant hijack Paul.

Many moons ago (96 or 97)I had a KDX 200. I bought this purely for greenlaning though if it was nice I'd go to work on it. This particular day I was on my home from work, the 'bike started spluttering so I flicked it onto reserve and decided to detour to the local ASDA. On my way there I noticed a new Cavalier SRi full of scummers, parked half on the road half on a verge, that's nicked I remember saying to myself.

After topping up with fuel and two stroke I set off for home, as I approached a mini roundabout I did a quick shoulder check (no mirrors) only to see the Cavalier alongside. The 3 occupants were now wearing ski masks, the one in the rear was hanging out of the window waving a wheelbrace, his 1st blow hit my right knee, the next one just above my right elbow. The car was now forcing me off the road, I ended up on the pavement. The car stopped, the one from the back seat was out and coming for me with the wheel brace, screaming give me the f*cking 'bike, I reckoned I could sort him but then the car started coming towards me as well. I had a split second to decide what to do, either nut this herbert with the peak on my open face lid, then kick him with my work boots by which time the car would probably run over me....

Discretion won, he got on the KDX and shot off towards Sheffield with Cavalier straight behind.

The entire incident was witnessed by a pub landlord from the upstairs of his pub, he called the Police as soon as it started they arrived a commendable five minutes later. As I was giving my statement their radio was ablaze with reports of a motorbike being chased by previously stolen Cavalier heading towards the Manor, a charming Sheffield suburb.

A quick hospital visit to stick my arm back together and a crime number finished my day. The insurance paid out the full purchase price, no quibbles within three months.

This happened at 5.30 in the afternoon in broad daylight.

In the late 90's off road 'bikes were being stolen left right and centre, many of  the blokes I rode with had also been victims. One had his wooden garage doors covered in petrol then set alight, the doors were then kicked in a couple of days later and his XR taken. Another kept his at his mum's place, the 'bike was manhandled over an 8 foot wall never to be seen again, one more was taken when he was jet washing it a petrol station. He left it to go for another token, he came back a 2 scrotes were pushing it down the road.

Be careful out there.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.