Author Topic: Ground anchor advice  (Read 8252 times)

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
Re: Ground anchor advice
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 21:09:20 »
The Web site was very specific about the chain going through the anchor being the right tension on the double thingys. I wasn't planning on buying another chain so mine might not be the right length like you said.

Offline Turtleossie

• 46 + 58 = ??
  • Bike: Owt ????
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 08:50:45 »
What chain and padlock have you got? Like I said the almax website is very eye opening, most well known chains can be bolt cropped in a matter of seconds.

The only chain out there that is bolt crop proof is ..... the almax.

Chains are a total waste of time unless they are used to lock your bike to something secure, is there no street furniture you could lock to. Otherwise your bike will be into a van and away.

Unless you buy a good anchor, padlock and chain, then I'm sorry to say, in my view it's all a bit of a waste of time. You'll be better off fitting a tracker so you can find it afterwards, on that score look up Squanto. Discussed at great length in another post, and highly recommended.

https://www.squanto.co.uk

Buy one, and an almax padlock, chain, and anchor then you might actually get some sleep at night..
Ride bikes, drink beer, eat chips.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 09:25:06 »
My current setup is this

So I've got a motrax chain going through the back and round the fence post

Then I've got another chain going through the front wheel only

So is it worth getting a ground anchor so I can chain the front wheel to it? I was thinking I would put it under the bike so when it's parked the bike is over the anchor.

Or would I just be better off getting a better chain to go on the back and around the fence post?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 09:54:47 »
There's nothing really there of substance to attach a ground anchor to, those block paving blocks will easily lift. Might be better just getting a better chain?

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 12:27:32 »
I agree, you can pull those bricks out of the street, when you can lift a bike into a van. You could consider a thicker chain instead, or is this one already difficult to cut?

Offline 650XT Pete

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 12:35:15 »
Maybe you could rally around the residents that park there and get the lock fixed on the gate.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 12:38:21 »
On the gate, that as of this morning is now fixed! Still, the last lot who had a look at my bike just followed a car in. I think I'll invest in one of those Almax chains to tie around the fence post. I think that's the best I can do.

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 13:18:46 »
Paul: what sort of "ground" though?  Makes a huge difference.  Concrete slab? Tarmac? Earth?
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline Angustoyou

• Bike: 2013 Glee
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 20:29:12 »
I manage to get my Almax between swingarm, exhaust, wheel and subframe. Much better than just the wheel if you can do similar. The long links mean you can effectively shorten the chain to make it as hard to get to as possible.  2 minutes to remove the wheel and throw it in a van if there are 2 of them.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 16:57:56 »
Angustoyou What length chain did you get?

Offline Freddyfruitbat

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 19:34:18 »
Paul: what sort of "ground" though?  Makes a huge difference.  Concrete slab? Tarmac? Earth?
Look at the pictures, dimwit...  :violence-smack:

I agree not a lot of point in a ground anchor in that environment, unless you could maybe dig a pretty big hole, fill it with concrete, and then replace the block paving on top, with the anchor rigidly embedded in or bolted to the concrete?

Looking at the fence post; it doesn't look particularly robust to me and I expect a cordless angle grinder would make short work of it; therefore pointless in spending £££ on a lock chain that is much stronger than the post.

One other point - that blue car is parked right up close to your bike; presumably if the bike hadn't been there the driver would have parked it right up against the fence instead, thereby denying you access to any ground anchor you may have installed?

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 19:39:16 »
Yeah I am a little concerned that the fence post isn't the strongest. So even if I get a better chain then they could just cut through the post.

The blue car is mine, I park as close as I can to make it awkward for thieves. It's never going to be 100% safe, if they're that determined they're going to get it, but I want to deter the casual thief and make it look like it's not worth the effort. It's also parked under a street lamp, just not close enough to get a chain around it.

Offline Freddyfruitbat

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 19:42:27 »
Ah, fair enough.   So glad I have a garage and don't need to anxt about this stuff!

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 20:05:55 »
P/X blue car for van. Park bike in van.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 20:37:40 »
Fit a beak to it and leave the cover off. That'll keep 'em at bay....

How about attaching it to the lamp post?
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 20:46:07 »
The lamp post is in the space next to mine. Can't park there and it's too far from my space to stretch a chain

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 20:50:55 »
Would a swap be feasible?

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 21:01:30 »
Doubtful, I own my flat and parking space whilst others rent. I enquired about buying an additional space for my wife but the housing association basically said no. Also the man that has the space next to me seems to really dislike me. He just stares at me without blinking, doesn't even respond when I say hello...

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 21:22:39 »
Chain the bike to the car... just don't forget and drive off  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 22:03:27 »
A couple of things spring to mind.. as has been mentioned, locking it to your car would be better than a ground anchor set in 'liftable' blocks. You'd obviously need to have a positive memory jogger too so as to avoid driving off with it attached. The other thing is despite your cover, it stands out like a sore thumb. Is there any way to put sheeting or a tarp up on the fence to make it less noticeable.? If it's more difficult to see, it's less likely to attract attention of the scroates. I guess that may no be possible but just a thought.
One other thing for all reading, (though you're probably too far away so no much use in this case) Baby Monitors make great garage alarms. Cheap to buy, mains or battery powered, place the receiver next to your bed and they'll pick up every sound should someone be paying you a unsolicited visit. You can then call the plod, or call your mates and catch em red-handed.  :icon_batterup: