Author Topic: Ground anchor advice  (Read 8250 times)

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
Ground anchor advice
« on: January 19, 2017, 18:30:55 »
As some of you may remember I've had a couple of occasions where would-be thieves have sniffed around bike.

It's stored in an off site car park one Street over from my flat and I have it covered with a chain going through the back wheel and cover attached to the chain link fence post, and the front just has a chain going through chaining the cover to the front wheel.

Normally that seems to be enough, but for the last month the gates to the car park have broken and are locked wide open so anyone can just wander in. There have been a number of cars vandalised and had windows smashed and even bumpers ripped off and stolen. The housing association have sent out letters to remind everyone that vehicles parked there are at the owners risk, so it got me thinking about beefing up my security a bit.

I don't want an alarm as I had awful trouble with the data tool system 3 on my GSXR, and I don't want the constant drain on the battery. So I was thinking about getting a ground anchor for underneath the bike.

Problem I have is installing the anchor. I have no tools for the job... so I'll have to get those too.

So any recommendations for ground anchors that require minimal toolage I.e. anchors that are drilled in. And what tools (drills/bits) would I need?

Offline 650XT Pete

• Bike: DL650XT
Re: Ground anchor advice
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 19:41:32 »
Hi Paul, l have all the necessary tools but you would need access to mains electric for the drill. You are welcome to borrow them or l could pop across town and give you a hand. 
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 19:50:09 »
Would the Housing Association let you drill? Do you know what you'd be fixing into?

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 19:50:26 »
Thanks for the offer Pete! Mains could be an issue though... No mains for at least 100m in either direction.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 21:38:18 »
Where abouts in Sheffield are you? PM me if you'd rather. I'm in the centre 3 days per week. I've a dewalt and two batteries along with some large masonry bits.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 22:14:20 »
In terms of ground anchor, a Thatcham or equivalent. I've got a Red Alert Double Bridge ground anchor like this one in the garage http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/red-alert-double-bridge-anchor

If I remember, 4x M10 bolts drilled into concrete. The shield draws up and fixes into the concrete. Then you hammer steel ball bearings into the bolt heads and it'll never come out.

You can also buy it as a combo package with a chain here: http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/thatcham-combo-package

Hope that helps.

Offline Angustoyou

• Bike: 2013 Glee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 23:02:22 »
It is unlikely you'll ever regret fitting a good ground anchor and upgrading your chain and lock.  You may regret not doing it, especially if you think you should.  I kept thinking I should bolt up the bottom of my garage, and only did after some toe rags stole my mtb.  Guess how they got in?

Spending at least whatever your insurance excess is is a good rule of thumb.  If that sounds a lot, if the bike does go you'll lose that much money immediately, have to find another bike and upgrade your security aswell.  That's not just money, but time, hassle, and lost no claims bonus.

Almax do some good chain, lock, anchor combinations for various needs.  Highly recommended.

Oh, and if it was me, I'd be inclined to beg forgiveness for installing without asking, rather than asking and getting an answer I didn't like  ;)

Sounds like it wouldn't be causing an obstruction where you park, and you're only following their advice....

Good luck.

Good on you for the offers of assistance folks.   :thumb:

Offline Antipodean

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 23:38:09 »
Is there something like a HSS Hire near you? You should be able to hire all the tools and probably a portable generator from them.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 05:41:30 »
Hi Paul, give these blokes a shout https://www.yell.com/biz/a-m-k-fence-in-ltd-Sheffield-911482/, they're just round the corner from you. Cash works well. :thumb:

They'll give you a price for fixing the gates as well.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:18:20 »
Thanks for the tips! I'll get one of those anchors ordered!

@bigpie I'm in Kelham Island so Might just take you up on that offer.

Offline Turtleossie

• 46 + 58 = ??
  • Bike: Owt ????
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 09:22:34 »
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk

I can not advise you strongly enough to go to the almax website and then buy the best chain, padlock and ground anchor that they do, you will not be sorry.

I've had bikes stolen in the past and it highlighted to me most chains are a waste of time, also not having the bike locked to something immovable....
Ride bikes, drink beer, eat chips.

Offline revapi

• Bike: 2019 sv650
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 10:10:08 »
if you don't want an alarm fitted then why not get an alarmed disc lock , you don't have to put it on your wheel you can put it under your seat etc

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 10:13:49 »
I have this ground anchor, because it is removable
http://securityforbikes.com/removable-ground-anchor.php

Drill bits come with it, so you just need a good drill. Best fixed to some concrete slab or equivalent

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 15:37:26 »
Wow thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into each and see which would be best for me, I like the look if the removable one but I'm worried I might not have the correct chain tension and mess it up. So I'll probably get one of the others and leave it there When I move.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 16:10:38 »
I leave work at 4 Mon Weds and Thurs, give me a shout if you want me to stop by on the way home with the DeWalt.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 16:29:19 »
Remember to make access to the chain as awkward as possible, between bike and a wall etc. as a battery angle grinder will make short work of it  :icon_no:, a local lad had 2 chains round his bike and a lamppost, the toolmarks on the cut ends were from a cutting disc.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 16:45:44 »
@bigpie cheers I'll let you know when I've got the anchor.

@Robotstar I have no wall unfortunately. There's a chain link fence that has already been cut further down and repaired.  I was thinking about positioning it near the rear wheel on the fence side to make it as hard as possible but they could always just cut the fence...

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 17:13:15 »
Have you thought about getting a really big plant pot and filling it with concrete if you've not got anywhere suitable to attach ground anchor? Ideally they should be attached to concrete ground or low down on a decent strength wall.

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 17:18:59 »
I was planning on attaching it to the ground underneath the bike

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 20:26:07 »
What do you mean with you don't have the right chain tension? Too long or short?