Author Topic: is there anything good about these bikes?????  (Read 9164 times)

tychris523

is there anything good about these bikes?????
« on: January 18, 2017, 18:32:00 »
I read these post and there is pretty much not one thing on these bikes that someone has not changed modified or moaned about. Now I have had loads of bike from 50cc up to 1300cc mainly jap but a few brits . Now I have a Glee 2014 this bike is a really good allround bike I love it the only thing imo that was not right was the screen its comfy handles well goes well stops well I keep up with my mates on bigger sportier bikes when we go out. I ride 2 up comute tour play around Day trips out its great I love it one of the best bikes I've had I can't believe the amount of things people moan about and want to change. You need to ride more bikes to realise how good these bikes are. Stop wasting your money on inferior parts. Chasing problems that are not really there. Did you not spot all these problems when you test rode your bike. leave them alone and enjoy these great bikes.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: is there anything good about these bikes?????
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 18:36:55 »
You are making some broad sweeping assumptions there.

One person may suffer  buffeting, another may not. Others, like me, enjoy titivating, experimenting with suspension, tyres, exhausts or whatever.

Each to their own.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 18:52:42 »
I've played around with all the bikes I have had.
The V-Strom is a good base bike to add to to make it suit the individuals needs.

Look a 5 different BMW GS's and you'll see they all have various aftermarket parts to make the bikes suit the rider better.

What makes a fun no fuss, no add-ons weekend play thing may not make the best 2up tourer when you have to camping gear to lug.

There is such a wide variety of aftermarket parts out there because we like to fettle and modify things... that's what made Britain the inventors to the world before Thachers lot stopped it all.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 18:55:48 »
lol - if you looked on Honest John about the number of known issues with the first Ford Focus you'd think it was a pile of S***. Yet it consistently won awards for best selling, most reliable, most satisfied customers etc..
If lots of them sell then more issues will surface, yet these only represent a very small percent of the total number out there.

tychris523

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 18:59:45 »
lol you're not inventing anything you're taking a good product and it most cases making it worste by adding all sort of bits and bobs. Some may be OK but some I see not only look crap they seem to lead on to other complaints

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 19:11:55 »
SweepingstatementsRus, do you want to narrow it down a bit?
It seems you are taking a pop at those who choose to change things on their bike to make it suit them better, I don't see your point.
As std they are a great bike, by no means perfect but then what bike is....?

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 20:03:42 »
Chris, I have fixed your diabolical spelling for you but I still can't grasp the point you are trying to make. In fact, if this was your first post I would have assumed you were some loon and I would have deleted your account.

Make a point if you have one please  :shrug:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

tychris523

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 20:11:39 »
I seemed to have touched a nerve here. because I find the bike great in its standard form you call me a loon and want to delete me lol. I.m.o if you need to change the bike in so many ways you have the wrong bike to begin with

Offline Ali p.

• Bike: DL650 XT AM1
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 20:27:29 »
Well that's actually not true. As bikers I think we like to fettle our bikes to suit us. To make it individual to the owner. Some like there bikes lower. Like me because I am a short arse. Some like different screens to assist with buffeting that some riders suffer. Some like to change suspention because they ride two up with full luggage. Some like. Heated grips. Aux lights to be seen. Extender fenders to stop shite getting all over the engine. Scotoilers, handguards, fork braces, different tyres, crash bars. Some of us do 15-20k per year so we fettle. If you like your bike as it is that's fine.No one will diss you for it. don't tell us its a perfect bike to all men cos its not. We make them perfect to how we want them. If you don't like what you read on here then go read something somewhere else.. hi by the way.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 20:29:55 »

I seemed to have touched a nerve here. because I find the bike great in its standard form you call me a loon and want to delete me lol. I.m.o if you need to change the bike in so many ways you have the wrong bike to begin with

Is that all, thank f for that.
Can I get back in the garage now?

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 20:37:12 »
I agree that its a great bike in standard form. My guess is that 99% of the forum would echo the same sentiment. But, as the perfect V Strom hasn't yet been produced, most of us will tinker and fettle, nudging our ride towards our vision of perfection. The trouble is, no two of us will ever agree on the perfect V Strom, hence the diverse opinions on this site. Believe me, the moans and 'vital' accessories discussed here are nothing compared to the UKGSer forum that I belonged to in a former life - yet it was still Europe's best selling big bike! On the whole though, this is a very good forum for like minded enthusiasts to swap constructive ideas. Bear with us if things get a bit negative on occasions. Now, I must go and book in my stator replacement - how could Suzuki's engineers have been so inept? Oops, sorry, must keep it positive!

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 20:53:34 »
May I ask how many miles you have covered on your Glee since buying it and what is the longest single stint you have done in the saddle?

Offline Hugh Mungus

• Bike: Fazer 1000
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 20:55:27 »
My 'Perfect Bike' would not suit many people and I've never found anyone who sells it so I have to buy a bike. If I like the bike I then adapt it to suit my needs.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 23:13:27 »
We are all different shapes and sizes...use the bikes solo....some more with a pillion or loaded up...some commute whilst others mainly tour long distance....but mostly we are motorcyclists, and the vast majority love to fettle their bikes, it's not doing anyone any harm...loosen up and maybe one of the miraid of mods made might tickle your fancy... :welcome:

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 00:16:52 »
It's called personalisation. .. we all don't have our homes decorated the same, we don't have the same car ..... WE ARE INDIVIDUALS! !!!! :smirk:
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline listermint

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 00:49:41 »
I like messing with my bike because I have the time and it gets the mind away from the stresses of life.  OP you must live in bliss I assume.... 

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 07:42:04 »
Milz and Son of Milz both bought a black Veek a while back.
One now has engine bars, spot lights, taller screen and big alu panniers. The other has fancy sports exhaust, tank bag and tail pack.

Father and son with the same bike, who ride and tour together but with very different set ups.

Kit the bike how you want it, not how someone else would want it.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 07:59:37 »
Quite an interesting thread but sadly you seem to have removed your account now so may not see my reply.

I bought my Glee over 3 yr ago brand new and it was the perfect bike at the time ...based on a 4 hour test ride. Now my experience of bikes is not even close to yours and my Glee was an upgrade from my KLE500. The thing that turned my head was the power and comfort of the bike, and of course it was in blue which I know is globally recognised as the fastest nicest colour. After a few months of riding and some good distance trips I discovered that the comfort could be better and after some tinkering I have the foot peg lowering kit and bar risers. I now sit in the bike nicely and can ride for miles without any significant discomfort to the point that it got me on trips through Belgium, France and Ireland as well as plenty of UK riding too. The only mods I have applied that I'm still not sure of are the Aprilia mirrors which don't really kill buffeting for me and my own Sat Nav mount which probably disrupts the air flow and creates more buffeting but the Sat Nav is a neccessary evil for me on long rides.

To sum up... my off the shelf Glee was perfect for a while but some mild discomfort kicked in... I made the changes and now love it.

The important moral to this story though is if the good members of this forum didn't tinker and tweak their bikes and tell me about it, I would have had the bike in the same off the shelf guise, got bored and moved on by now.

I think it is a shame you have left the forum to be honest as I suspect you have also found the people, information and knowledge base here to be top notch and with the level of experience you could have contributed and shared to help people like me.

Finally...
The best mod though would to have you bike sprayed blue, you know you want to!

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 08:55:34 »
If I had a blue one I'd paint it white......

Offline roganjoshing

• Loving my first Vee Twin
  • Bike: DL650 L0
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 09:11:58 »
I bought mine used with panniers that I've never used but added a top box so I can still filter on my daily commute. Also came with tall screen, heated grips, mudguard extender, crash bars and other bits I probably wouldn't have bothered adding myself but all if which proved useful.