Author Topic: What to be expected from 2017 Vee2?  (Read 10318 times)

Offline bigusdickus

Re: What to be expected from 2017 Vee2?
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 14:09:57 »
Apart from the clever braking system, not a lot of changes. The performance will be nearly the same as my present Veek. Save yourself a fortune and buy a set of wire wheels if you want an XT model Veek. :icon_drool5:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 18:06:34 »
Having had wire wheels on my XT1200z I wouldn't have them again. They are a pain to clean, they rust and every now and then a spoke breaks  :fix:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 18:23:07 »
Broken or just loose spokes are the reason I have an aversion to wire wheels. Low maintenance is far more appealing.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 18:59:30 »
It does make wonder how a screen that has been wind tested and designed is such a selling point on a £10K motorcycle!!! Imagine a car manufacturer doing the same?

The relationship between a motorcycle manufacturer and customer must be non existent given that touring/adventure motorcycles are made which have OE screens which offer little if any adjustment and fail to actually deflect wind around the rider for the market they are sold in etc...in 2016 we have manufacturers who sell bikes that require another £125 spent to ride the thing in any comfort. It is shambolic.

Look at the continuing issues with finish, build quality and ecu problems. Without insulting current owners, (I would actually consider one) the Veek has been a total flop shown by continued discounting deals, financing etc and the values falling on the secondhand market. Many reviews stated the Veek was a good bike if it had been sold for £2-3K less new.

What do Suzuki do in response.....it appears by serving up another jazzed up dysfunctional dollop of the same (basically the same engine circa 1990's, low quality suspension, useless OE luggage etc)....hopefully I will proven wrong when it is ridden/reviewed

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 14:51:25 »
Flanners I've just read through your post and the only thing I agree with is the issue with the screen and obviously the issue with ecu's which Suzuki have been sorting out. Albeit after a fair few complaints from there customers. After reading your comments on reviews I did a Google search on reviews on the new Veek. After reading six reviews from motorcycle sites the only thing they all had in common was the snatchy throttle issue which is now cured with the replacement ecu. They all said how good the suspension was even to the point that it would see off a lot of sports bikes in the twisty stuff. Another point they made was it was great value for the money. My dealers have sold loads of them and at times can't get them quick enough. So not sure what reviews you read but I can't find one that says it would be a good bike at 2/3k cheaper. I have a 2009 wee and I have a 2016 Veek and I think they a both superb bikes in their own right and there are a lot of owners out there that would agree.
Just my opinion.

Offline Flanners

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 16:20:38 »
Your views may be more valid as you have one, I have only test ridden. However here is a view from this forum:

1. There was a vibration throughout the rev range the bars that caused my hands to numb.
2. Seat uncomfortable for distance work.
3. Screen/fairing not sufficiently protective for touring.
4. Fuel injection glitchy/fierce.
5. Too expensive for what you get.

Surely you cannot suggest the OE luggage is up to the job? Also Suzuki have failed as far as I am aware to actually recall models affected and are doing a low key dealer led replacement; many owners it appears were not aware of a replacement and others have been fobbed off by Suzuki UK.

I will try and find the review/s I read about the overpriced bit, Suzuki are not or are unable to give us anything 'new' and it shows. The secondhand prices/new discounts for a relatively new model are shocking; £5-6K (used) for a bike that someone paid circa £10K 18-24 months ago. My post sounds a bit harsh but personally I think Suzuki are taking the piss.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 16:46:36 »
The one thing you cannot argue with are trade in and second hand prices.

They are very low and that speaks volumes.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 18:33:21 »
For every dealer that claims to be selling them quickly there are two others who complain that they can't sell them at all. Maybe that was more prevalent back when they genuinely were taking the piss with the launch price.

I took advantage of their 'take £50 of merchandise for just booking a test ride' offer.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Flanners

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 19:41:40 »
Here's one alluding to pricing

https://www.visordown.com/features/road-tests/Suzuki-v-strom-1000-long-term-review

and the second part

http://www.visordown.com/features/road-tests/v-strom-1000-long-termer-goes-back-to-Suzuki

"If the Suzuki were £7,500 I'd think 'that's a lot of bike for the money' and it would be cheap enough to tempt me out of newer offerings. As it is, I'd find it extremely difficult to walk away from the £8,149 MT-09 Tracer."

I know they are the same author on a 'long' term test, will see if I can find the others

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2016, 20:03:21 »
Its an interesting 'debate' here !

I took out a Versys 1000 last Friday.  (because I loved inline 4's) and I bought my Veek in March as it was £2.5K cheaper than the Verseys. (and the rest if you chuck on luggage) and about 50LBs lighter.
The screen was simply shocking on the Versys (like my OE screen was until I replaced it) . Same buffeting and simply not worth having.  I see on Versys forum many do exactly  as what we do, change the OE one that is not fit for purpose.  The same could be said for Tigers as well and the Varadero that I have also owned. point is I think all manufactures bizarrely struggle with OE screens, why is beyond me.

I have improved my stock seat on the Veek as I found it a torture device (for my arse), but I did thesame with Varadero and Bandit.

I was actually pleased to get back onto my Veek.  Mine is sooooo smooth, no vibration, and I was surprised at the vibes that came through the bars over 5K revs on the Kawa.

I think the New ones out the box from Suzuki are now sorted. Mine needed the ECU which was done and it is a great cheap Bike for me, at £8K.   I saw at my local dealer that the Veeks are shifting out the door as they are such good value.

2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2016, 21:27:42 »
I guess no bike will please everyone.  The Veek has its haters and lovers. I'm middle of the road on mine. Sometimes I wish it was lighter and faster, smoother and more comfortable but then I remember I only paid 8.5k for my adventure model ( minus panniers). Versy and tiger1050 where 10k, gs and the like outa my range. Yes I looked at the tracer but there wasn't much room for two 13stone folk and the shock was rubbish.  I had a tiger800 and wanted a more relaxed ride. Yes you Got to change a few things but what bike doesn't?

Offline Simmo24

• Bike: 2020 KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2016, 16:29:13 »
Your views may be more valid as you have one, I have only test ridden. However here is a view from this forum:

1. There was a vibration throughout the rev range the bars that caused my hands to numb.
2. Seat uncomfortable for distance work.
3. Screen/fairing not sufficiently protective for touring.
4. Fuel injection glitchy/fierce.
5. Too expensive for what you get.

Never had any vibration on mine.
Did 2000 miles on mine last year through Spain & France and I find the seat all day comfortable.
Put a Givi Airflow on it to sort out the buffeting.
Fuel injection now sorted by a new Ecu, which I have to say works a treat.
I rode Gs's and KTM's before buying mine and it didn't come down to price for me, the Veek was just a better bike IMHO ( expensive for what you get ? I don't think so and I know I'll spend less time getting stuff fixed.).  Tried the Tracer too and it's small and uncomfortable.
Yes the panniers are a tad small, but I just throw stuff into a 40litre rollbag and no probs :)
If the residuals are 50% after three years I'll still lose less than if I'd bought a 1200Gs.

So from my point of view it's all good.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
Always try just one more time. -Thomas Edison

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2016, 21:45:22 »
Blah blah blah what dribble I read by opinions mainly journalists, well opinions are not facts. I've done 12000 hard miles on my 2014 Veek, three big trips around Europe, many tours in the UK, no vibrations, I have the stock Suzuki touring screen no problems with buffeting, 53MPG did the first big Europe trip on the old ecu yes a few fuelling glitches but the revised unit sorted that out. Traction control cuts in on the loose gravel and asphalt, never once felt the bike slide or lose grip. The ride gets better and better with mileage. The suspension ,brakes and handling are miles better than the 650 models and I imagine probably the old 1000 too! Before I test rode a Veek I very nearly spent a small fortune on my 650 wee on replacement suspension upgrades , brake upgrades, it urgently needed it. Forget it. I've never looked back once. All bikes and cars loose value, but WTF just use it and enjoy it!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2016, 22:04:22 »
...but WTF just use it and enjoy it!
+1 to that. If you like it great enjoy, if you don't hope you like your next bike better. I don't like the look of the Veek, but I test rode it back in 2014 and thought the engine, brakes and suspension were very good compared to the Glee. I don't think the Glee is perfect (poor brakes, dodgy electricts and poor finish) and I doubt I'll buy another Suzuki any time soon given the latest 'updates' to their range,  but whatever I buy has to be better (to me) than my current bike. Incidentally, while talking price my Glee was overpriced when I bought it but it was a new model that had just launched. Now you can buy them for much less than RRP.

(I also think Suzuki customer service is poor as they should recall all Veeks and upgrade the ECU as I believe anything that can cause the engine to stall is down right dangerous)

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2016, 22:27:22 »
I love my Veek, it is a good solid platform for two up travel, long distance.
I also find it a joy to scratch round the b roads, just so sweet handling and forgiving.
I'm not looking at selling mine anytime soon, it's a fantastic bike imo, and we'll worth the money.

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 19:27:23 »
I have to second  road rocket and wurzels sentiments, 10k on mine all good here !

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 10:52:33 »
I love and will keep my 2014 model Vstrom 1000.
But I see KTM will now produce a 1290 Adventure and Adventure R, but also upgrade the present 1050 (which most equates to our Vstrom 1000s) to a 1090 of 125hp.
Come on Suzuki, that variable valve timing and a horse power increase will be necessary for anyone who's seen 1050s as a contender to the Vstrom 1000 to date.
The Europeans generally are moving more quickly in the technology stakes it would seem

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2016, 15:45:20 »
Looking at some more photos at Suzuki Global site, I've just discovered that non-XT versions, black and white ones, have grey plastics on the sides and the top of the tank.
I mean, c'mon Suzuki, where did you get so much passion for grey??? They've ditched grey sub-frame and now we'll have grey tank plastics that don't even match the grey colour of rear rack. The bike again looks like it has parts from the other bike.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2016, 16:36:03 »
There must be someone very experienced in paint jobs reading this. Looking carefully at those plastics on my actual '14 DL1000, they look painted to me. When I purchase new '17 DL1000, can those plastics be repainted? Do they have to be powder coated or I can go to local car paint shop and ask them to do the job?
Purchasing new plastics from actual model, plus "S" emblem would be close to £500 that I'd rather save if I can get away with painting them and just buying "S" emblem.
I was so excited with new model as I was already planning to trade in September next year, but looking at the photos I decided I don't want new bike with that horrible colour scheme as I hate it.
Any help from some paint job "expert"?
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline greywolf

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2016, 17:26:21 »
Plastics get painted for the most part. They may just have their moulded in colour, but that is unusual. Plastics don't normally get powder coated. Powder coat is composed of plastic powder that is given an opposing charge to the metal it coats so the powder coats the metal as the charged parts attract like north and south poles of a magnet. Then the metal part is put into an oven until the powder melts together, coating the metal. Trying to powder coat plastic would melt the plastic part. There is a lot of repainted plastic on my old bike. All the yellow used to be orange painted plastic.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s