Author Topic: Headlights are alright aren't they.  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Rich:-)

Headlights are alright aren't they.
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:48:21 »
Standard bulbs but have the upgraded wiring loom (with relays). I was forced to ride home in the dark last night, along the A35 between Poole to Axminster, and then the small roads up country back into Somerset.
I was pleasantly surprised at the speed I could feel safe at due to the amount of light those headlights throw out. Much better than my last bike, which had a single round headlight and a misted reflector.

So, well done Mr Strom for having pretty good headlights.  :)

Might think about LED bulbs now - are they as good as standard (or Xenon) Incandescent light bulbs?

Offline Offtheclockuk

• Bike: DL1000 K2
Re: Headlights are alright aren't they.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:54:06 »
I have some led headlight bulbs in my strom and last night was the first time using them in proper darkness (coming home from squires at 10pm and avoiding motorways)

And I have to say they are the best lamp/bulb combo I've ever had on a motorbike.

If I can get a still from last night's video I'll stick it on here.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:05:56 »
Yes it's good light up the road, but I deplore this race to brighter headlights.

On a dark road an approaching vehicle with really bright lights that dazzle so much I cannot see anything of the road ahead is not, IMHO, a safety feature.

The standard lights are good enough so just slow down a bit eh!

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:51:18 »
Nah...., I think I'd rather just go brighter. :grin:

Correctly adjusted & focused brighter lights shouldn't cause unnecessary dazzling. LED bulbs should emit from the same position as normal halogens so the reflector should work as before. It's people fitting aftermarket HID kits that cause the issues IMHO.

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:06:04 »
I'm with Brockett. Never had problems riding at night till these bright white lights came on the market glaring in you face. Sigh.

Offline Offtheclockuk

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 11:30:36 »
I have these fitted and you can see that the led is partially blocked in the same area that a regular halogen is,

Looking at cars on my way home I found that my lights didn't light up the drivers face until the car was about 2 to 3 car lengths away from me so I can't imagine there's much dazzling going on to be honest.

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 17:37:36 »
I must confess, although the lights on the Wee are the best I have ridden with, I am always trying to improve things. I ride home after work at about midnight, on unlit roads across Romney Marsh, and if I can spot something further a way, that must be good (Badgers and Foxes my main adversary !!!)
I am, at the moment, considering an LED set up, but there are so many to choose from. I guess you pays Your money and take Your chances.

I used to be indecisive, now I am not so sure !!!!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 20:03:41 »
I think there are some good threads on the forum about which LEDs to get, joderest. Worth a search.

I'm with brockett on it, because there seems to be something intrinsically glaring about these pure white LED headlamps, no matter what their positioning etc...especially with rain on your visor...what a fecking pain they can be!

No doubt in a few years high-end cars will be fitted with white lasers, and our eyeballs will be getting melted.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 21:16:00 »
I'm with brockett on it, because there seems to be something intrinsically glaring about these pure white LED headlamps, no matter what their positioning etc...especially with rain on your visor...what a fecking pain they can be!

Are you sure you mean the LED lights on cars?

It's just that plenty of cars have HID lights and they are blindingly bright if you cop an eye full of them at night... however not many cars on the road have LED lights yet, only a few of the premium cars have them so far.

Offline Offtheclockuk

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 21:43:46 »
New shape astra and ibiza both have led as an option now, 

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 22:07:28 »
The missus' S-Max has adaptive LED headlights so they are super bright until they sense another vehicle then change the light pattern so as not to blind other road users. It also changes the light pattern to road conditions and speed e.g. a shorter light beam for urban driving, a longer one for faster A-roads, plus cornering lighting. Of course I only have Ford's word for that as I haven't driven it at night yet (or driven passed it at night on the bike). Won't be too long before this becomes standard on cars, and will eventually work it's way to bikes.

I just have really bright normal bulbs on my bike but might try LEDs at some point - think some bikes come with them as standard now anyway.

Offline Sam

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 22:12:13 »
however not many cars on the road have LED lights yet, only a few of the premium cars have them so far.

Really????? I have a 2 year old Seat Leon which has LED headlights! Never knew I drove a premium car :dance: :shrug: lol
I also have a Yamaha tracer with LED headlights...!

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 09:16:29 »
Do you know... on a previous version of that post I said "premiums cars, and a Seat" lol
but then I removed that before posting as I thought it may cause offense.
For the record I very much like the Leon and it was one of first to utilise LED headlights.

The point I was making is that complaints against cars with dazzling headlights is not a new phenomenon, it mainly started when manufacturers started fitting HID's. This was made worse when HID "bulb only" upgrade kits became readily available.
I don't think I've really noticed being dazzled by any car with LED headlights so I am assuming that the problem was just with the HID variety.

Offline BlackRockFox

• Bike: DL650A XT M0
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 19:18:11 »
Try these, http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-bulb-upgrades/motorcycle-philips-extreme-vision-130-bulb-upgrade
See attached photo, the slightly whiter headlight is the above  :thumb:

The slightly brighter/bluer sidelight is this  :thumb:
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-bulb-upgrades/bikevis-motorcycle-wedge-led-upgrade-v2

The other 2 are the OEM fitted

"LED Headlights – The FAQs & Facts!"  :violence-smack:
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/801658952/led-headlights-the-faqs-facts/

Hope this all helps

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 22:21:41 »
Here's my headlights,  LED slide lights, LED fog lights and Philips X-treme Vision. (Lights are on dipped beam). Very good at night