Author Topic: Run out....  (Read 987 times)

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
Run out....
« on: August 24, 2016, 21:58:51 »
Quite literally!

As the bike had done 235 steadyish miles on the tank, I thought I'd take the opportunity to run it out, properly out, see how many miles until it does so and how many litres to brim. So with a measured 5ltr in a can off I tootled.

The second reserve started flashing at 275 miles so I turned round, headed for home & tootled some more... some more, it got dark & tootled some more...
Just as I pulled out of a junction next to a busy pub the bike suddenly cut out, I had momentum to freewheel into the car park & park up within view of inquisitive onlookers to pour in the 5ltr.
Distance to running out: 325 miles
The bike re started instantly.

Brimming at the next garage took a further 15.8ltr @ 330miles.
Tank capacity brimming to the top of the neck is 20.8ltr or thereabouts.
Mpg works out at 72 (imp) mpg which is 2 more than I've had before over a distance - probably a psycological effect. I wasn't riding with a view to getting the best economy possible, more a steady, flow of the traffic taking in the scenery type of pace, with the odd brisk overtake for good measure :)

Sorry, no pics!

Offline Bratton

• Bike: 2017 MT-09
Re: Run out....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:15:18 »
That's good to know  :thumb:

I've been tempted to do it to mine but I've got so much junk bolted to it now I reckon I'd be lucky to get 200 miles out of her  :GRR:

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
Re: Run out....
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 21:18:34 »
325miles - very impressive  :).

Tried that myself a few times about a year ago, as my commute is ~ 56/57 miles a day and I can't quite get a week out of the tank.  I only got 285, 295 and 297 running it dry (I think - it was a while ago!) and then gave up... but I might give it another go if you managed to get 325! 

I guess it depends on how much I can keep to granny tootling speeds... :old:
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year