Author Topic: Have I been done over with servicing here?  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Lobrau

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
Have I been done over with servicing here?
« on: August 10, 2016, 12:48:30 »
I bought a brand-new 2015 Veek in July of last year. Had the 600 mile service then another at 4500 miles as per the manual's (and the dealer's) instructions.

It's coming up to 7500 miles now, so time for another service. I've noticed the service addendum on this very site, having been wanting to see if the plugs needed replacing, but also that MCN reported the service interval change to 7500 miles back in January 2014!

Question is, have I been misled as to how often I should be getting my bike serviced or does the adjusted interval only apply to certain models?

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
Re: Have I been done over with servicing here?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 12:52:15 »
Yes. I had the same problem, I highlighted this to the service garage and they did the 7500 at a much reduced price.

Offline Lobrau

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 12:57:32 »

Cheers, marra. Will mention this to the dealer and see what they say. Imagine getting them to reduce the price will be like getting blood from a stone though  :groan:

ProfG

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 13:03:09 »
If you've done it at 4500 miles you may be able to skip the 7500 one and just do the 14000 mile service. Ask the dealers.

When I took mine in for the 14000 mile service they said the valves did not need checking. They just did the normal service.

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 16:45:28 »
I had similar confusion when trying to sort out the servicing for my 2015 bike. When I bought it I was told that Suzuki had changed the intervals to 7,000 miles, but my dealer (who is first class) has set it at 7,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. Seems to make sense and I think I will stick to that.

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 21:39:20 »
7000 miles or one year whichever is the sooner.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Lobrau

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 08:17:13 »
7,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. Seems to make sense and I think I will stick to that.

Quote from: ziggy
7000 miles or one year whichever is the sooner.

It's just over a year old so it's due a service, without doubt. Just narked that they didn't mention that the 4000 mile service didn't actually need doing and just took my money!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 09:46:39 »
I think early oil and filter change is good. I have no scientific or mechanical qualifications to support this. It's just my view that new engines need to wear in and that wearing in process  contaminates the oil. After the first service I change the oil and filter at half service interval and then at normal service interval thereafter. Although for the half service interval, I do it myself, using genuine parts so it does not cost dealer servicing rates. Not all dealers are crooks and sometimes "updates" go unnoticed. So tell them what you know and ask them what they are going to offer you.
You can go to another dealer or an independent.

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 13:49:20 »
Look at a Honda service schedule. A lot are 8k mile intervals and have been that way for many many years with the same equivalent oil volumes/engine capacity as other makes like Suzuki.

But what you don't hear unless you own one and get involved with the owners groups is that most of us change the oil every 4k and filter every 8k.

I forget who posted it, but someone did ask Suzuki why the 3.5k service interval... Suzuki basically said it's an overall check of the bike as most owners don't do full checks of the bike at regular intervals, so the bike gets a full going over and an oil chage while it's there.

So basically Suzuki admitted they don't put them together all that well and they need to checked over to make sure the wheels don't fall off.
Well that and owners of motorbikes are that inept and ham fisted they couldn't possibly hold the correct end of a spanner to complete a service and oil change and make sure the bolts are all tight.

As long as quality oil in the right quantity and the correct parts are used anyone who can hold the correct end of a spanner could service a V-Strom. But time restraints and busy lives make people want to be rid of the hassle.

Personally I do all my servicing. 4 bikes and a car would be a painful expense for annual services let alone the fact my main bike gets at least 3 services a year.

As far as not informing you that you don't need to have the 4k service carried out on your year model bike.
Do you see crocodiles changing their minds just after the lundge for a wilder beast and realise they aren't actually that hungry for a whole one?

Ride Coordinator

Offline Lobrau

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 15:16:47 »
Confirmed with Suzuki this morning that I should be on the 7500 mile intervals. So there's that.

Agree with you about servicing yourself, Diver. Did all my own servicing on my Bandit before I got the Strom. The only reason I'm having the dealer do it now is to keep the warranty. As soon as that's up I'll be in the garage with it, getting my hands dirty come the service interval.

Do you see crocodiles changing their minds just after the lundge for a wilder beast and realise they aren't actually that hungry for a whole one?
I know. God forbid anyone would be honest with their customers in this day and age. Presuming that they were aware of the change, that is