Author Topic: fuel gauge problem on glee  (Read 2777 times)

Offline vstroppy

• Bike: 2014 vstrom 650
fuel gauge problem on glee
« on: August 09, 2016, 19:24:08 »
Hi I have been running my glee with the tank raised and with very low amount of petrol, the square block indicator was flashing. I then noticed instead of the block flashing it was travelling across the gauge from empty to full, after lowering the tank and filling it with fuel it continues travelling across. I have checked the wires to see if they have snagged and they seem OK I have disconnected the battery and re-connected it and it still does not read the level just travels across from empty to full. Has any one else had this happen and if so did you find a fix.
regards
Adventure before Dementia

Offline vstroppy

Re: fuel gauge problem on glee
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 20:01:07 »
Also how do you enter dealer mode on the glee found the plug at the rear left side of the bike how do you know which to terminals to bridge to get it in to dealer mode? sorry to be a pain

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 20:45:41 »
Dealer mode won't help. It's white/red to black/white if you want to check. I believe what causes that is a bad connection in the wire between the sender and the display. It's red/black out of the pump and yellow/black in the main loom. The open connection may also be inside the tank.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Woodyflyer

• Bike: L5 Glee, Bandit 1200, Burgman 650. 1050 RR
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 20:49:53 »
Have had the problem of the bars flashing across the screen on my Glee, but mine was when I filled the tank , mainly in France when I was filling the tank to the brim or nearly full couldn't solve it buy switching on and off , just had to ride a few miles till it went back to normal , it seems to be a bit random as it does not do it all the time .been waiting for it to do it again so I can video it to show the dealer. Interesting to see what's causing it .
woody

Offline vstroppy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 21:14:04 »
thanks for the quick replies looks like I am going to have to check the plug and wires again I must have disturbed something. I one plugged the electrical connection to the tank and the display just moves across the same at least I know which wire to look at thanks GW

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 22:53:12 »
I've had that a few times but it seemed to stop randomly and hasn't reoccurred in ages. I did clean all the wires/connectors under the tank that I could find and filled them with ACF50, so whether that helped...  :shrug:

Offline vstroppy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 18:33:49 »
I thought this problem was down to me I thought I must have snagged or pulled the wires when removing the tank from the bike but I was wrong. One of the wires on the sender inside the tank had failed, the outer plastic coating looks OK but the inner wire must have failed were it joins the sender. It must have only been hanging by a couple of strands of wire moving the tank around seems to have finished it off. Removing and attaching a new wire is a little tricky as I am not sure how the wire is retained best I can think of so far is to jam a piece of copper wire in retain it with petrol resistant silicon then solder a replacement wire to the copper use some shrink sleeve to insulate. I did wonder if the copper wire piece would cause a electrical resistance but I have checked the ohm's across the sender and the values check out. Will post some pics of the repair/bodge tomorrow when I have learn how to post photo's.

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 22:08:30 »
I was trying to reply to your other post in intros about the vibs and noise after the recall work was done but thread seems locked.

Don't know if your bike has engine bars or not but I'd be trying to recheck all the bolts that the dealer would have removed to replace the cams.

Dealers have been known to give a bit less attention to some works than they should and if your bike was fine before the recall that's the first place I'd be looking.

Could be a simple thing of an engine bolt not tightened or the crash bars incorrectly fitted etc, double check everything you can think of that they might have interfered with.

I'd be reluctant to leave mine into a dealer, luckily I didn't get a recall notice... :)