Author Topic: MRA Screen  (Read 3330 times)

Offline L3nny

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
MRA Screen
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:06:31 »
Anyone got one of these? Looking to reduce the windblast on my Veek but don't like the look of the huge touring screens and probably don't need one as I am only 5'8"

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Suzuki_DL1000_V-Strom_2014_Onwards_MRA_Adjustable_Motorcycle_Touring_Screens.html

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: MRA Screen
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:23:02 »
I have an mra screen on mine. Works better than the stock, is quieter, and better looking but its not as good as a givi airflow. Depends how and where you ride. The givi gives more protection on the motorway r over 80mph the mra is better below 80.
I use the mra most, I like the look and smaller size, I put the givi on for trips away. Your size will help, I'm 5 11 and run the mra on highest holes and middle tilt, blade all the way up. Givi on lowest evrrything.

Offline porter

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 11:29:19 »
Ps. At 5 8 the givi will not be in your line on sight but it will be  close,  I don't like this as sometimes I miss a upcoming manhole cover etc. Mra better as much lower.
Ps 2 wife likes the givi better as less buffeting for her.

Offline L3nny

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 11:38:38 »
Thanks, does your MRA have the little flappy bit at the top that this one has? Does this make much difference?

I try and stay off motorways as much as I can but at the end of the day it's a touring bike and when touring a little motorway is inevitable.

Offline Methusela

• Bike: DL650XT
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 12:49:38 »
I originally went for the standard larger touring screen which was OK but I did get buffeting at anything over 65. I am 6ft 2 and bought the MRA before going touring in Ireland this year. It made a huge difference, not only to me but to my wife on the back. I still get wind noise (it is a motorcycle) but no buffeting, and on the back my wife is in a bubble of quiet air which, she says, is better than on my PanEuropeans. I have it set on the highest holes on the arms, and in the first position on the ratchet. The small screen is set so that the top is just above the top of the main screen. Money well spent. If anybody saw the recent comparison test in Bike mag, the Strom got awful marks for buffeting etc. off the standard screen

Offline porter

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 13:01:59 »
Yes mines the one in the picture, other mra screen looks to much like the oe screen.
My wife likes the givi better, says its much giueter for her than the mra, she never rode on the bike with the oe screen, I rode the bike the 25 miles home from the dealers and removed it, worst I've ever sat behind!
The mra in light tint looks the best

Offline L3nny

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 13:51:43 »
Thanks for the help, I've just ordered it. Managed to get it cheaper via their ebay store, doesn't make sense but never mind.

Hopefully it'll be an improvement on the OEM screen which it terrible over 60mph, the wind hits me just at the top of the head and buffets me about giving me a literal pain in the neck.

The Mrs, is always listening to music when she's on the back so not worried about her. In fact the noise of the OEM screen drowns out her singing along!

Offline CymruGlenn

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 VSTROM GT (2008) K7
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 13:52:06 »
Hi,
I'm 5'8 have a vee and have added the MRA VArio xl screen. It is in the eye line but does not effect my line of site. It has totally cured all wind blast, buffeting and wind noise. I can zip along any road at 70+ with my visor up and it is great.
Would highly recommend!!!
Where are you based as you could try mine out as that is what another forum member did for me and it gives a whole new riding experience.
Crazy, but that's how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe it's not too late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Offline L3nny

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 15:35:08 »
I'm in Milton Keynes so a bit of a trek.

Do you have any pics of the screen?

Offline porter

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 18:11:00 »
Mine with mra

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 09:17:42 »
I bought the MRA X-creen Universal Air Deflector Flip Spoiler (http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-c ... ector.html) and clamped it to the screen. It's enabled me to ride with no buffeting (though a little wind blast, which is no problem) with the screen on the top setting, furthest away, in a peaked lid. The X-creen can also bolt to the screen once you've drilled it using the template supplied if you want a more permanent fitting. At £69 +carriage it was a cheap option, and if you clamp it and don't damage it I reckon you could sell it on and not lose too much if it didn't work out, since it fits any bike with a screen at least 265 mm wide (which obviously increases the number of potential buyers over a bike-specific alternative screen like the Givi etc).

Offline L3nny

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 17:41:25 »
Fitted the screen today and went out for a bimble. It was very windy so not able to tell if the wind noise had been reduced but the buffeting has disappeared totally.

It's great quality, as with MRA screens I have had in the past, and was easy to fit. Looks great as well. Overall very happy.  :lala:

Offline porter

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 17:53:50 »
Glad your getting on with it OK. I'd to do a longer stint on the motorway on Saturday than I had planned on and thought I must put that givi back on! It was hellish windy thou.