Author Topic: Another question on screens  (Read 3511 times)

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Another question on screens
« on: August 01, 2016, 07:09:51 »
OK, I have finally got to admit, the wind noise and buffering is getting me down.
Bike, has a tall GIVI screen, replacement mirrors, Helmet is a Schuberth C2.

I am thinking of fitting the GIVI adjustable air flow screen, before I part with my hard earned, will it help ?
I am also thinking of fitting a pin lock to visor to help with misting up in winter, there is a kit I can get.

Comments ?

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Another question on screens
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 07:23:41 »
Tall isn't always the answer. I am a Givi Airflow convert, they do a great job, they are very adjustable and they allow air to flow between the screen sections as well as deflecting it away from your head.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline joderest

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:36:58 »
Thanks, I am about 5 foot 10" tall, and have a higher seat on bike. I could raise the GIVI tall screen up, but I do not like looking through the screen, preferring to see over the top. Sometimes the noise is so bad, my head seems to rattle !!!!!. I have been pretending it does not matter, but it does.
I suspect the airflow would be the best option, but I am very good at wasting my money on things that do not work, hence this question.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:03:44 »
It's not idea but you could flog it on with only a small loss if it didn't work for you.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 09:52:32 »
When I got Givi Airflow, it sorted all my buffeting problems. Few months later, I got Schuberth C3 Pro and buffeting was horrible. Tried everything with bike, screen positions, side flaps, bar end mirrors... Nothing helped. Then I decided to sell the helmet (lost a lot of money). Got AGV helmet and buffeting was all gone again. Strange, I know, Schuberth claims their helmet are superb in terms of noise and buffeting... Yes, the noise level was excellent, but the buffeting...
Well, all sorted now.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline joderest

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:15:07 »
that's my concern, the C2 when used on my old BMW, I had a lot of buffering, and I put that down to the screen.
Is you AGV a flip front type or full face ?
I am considering a new helmet as well.

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 11:07:10 »
This was my journey to fix that problem.

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=30025.msg297318#msg297318

I have also recently updated my lid to an AVG but I believe I had fixed the air buffeting just before then.

My set-up is now great - the screen is a good 2" below my eye line. On a recent trip to Italy everyone had to keep cleaning the flies off their visors yet mine remained bug free and only collected dust after a few days use - that tells you something about how well the air & bugs were being deflected. :thumb:

If/when I upgrade this bike to another 'adventure styled tourer' a pre-requisite now is that the particular model of bike must have good support for aftermarket screens and probably something similar to a Madstad.
Without funky adjustable screens these bikes just don't work IMHO. I also could not put up with having to look through a screen in order to avoid buffeting.

Offline joderest

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 12:51:49 »
OK, appears air flow the way to go, must admit, looks better than just a tall screen.

Crash Hat, is your AGV a flip up or not ?

I am led to believe a full face is better for noise

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 13:32:39 »
Mine is a full face, it's an AGV K3 SV. Not the quietest lid I've had. For me it was toss up between the AGV and a HJC i7.
The AGV felt like the better made but the HJC has wind tunnel bragging rites, even so some users have complained it's the loudest they've ever had.. so faced with such inconclusive noise reviews I just bought the one which I could get the cheapest. I found a great deal on ebay for a new AGV.
It is very light and comfortable once it had been broken in (nearly tore my ears off at first though).

Offline joderest

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 14:32:54 »
OK, thanks, may well buy full face for winter, and use C2 in summer

Offline greywolf

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 16:22:31 »
Playing with wind screens, helmets and mirrors can have some effect on noise but every rider should be wearing ear plugs at highway speeds. I can't stress this too much. Wind noise damage is cumulative and doesn't just worsen hearing. It can also cause tinnitus. I can't tell you how many riders I've seen report constant ringing in their ears. If you ride above city street speeds, wear ear plugs.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 18:11:32 »
I have two AGV helmets now. The first one was flip face one, AGV Compact Course and now I have the second one, AGV K3 SV. Zero buffeting with both of them but more wind noise now, then with Schuberth.
As for Givi Airflow, the best setup I found is tilted all the way towards the rider, mounted on top holes, sliding screen in the middle of the sliders. Buy the way, I'm 6"2.5.
Givi Airflow uses technology that creates invisible air screen. So, as there are two screens, high pressure is created by the air compressed between those two screens, that is then shot vertically, producing that invisible screen. The bigger the area where two screens overlap one another, the better the invisible screen. As the result of my test, it's not about how much you rise the sliding screen but how big pressure they create. So, to find the best setup for you, you have to play a lot with sliding screen. As I'm tall and knowing that I needed the biggest area possible where two screens overlap, I  moved the lower screen from mid to top holes and pushed down the sliding screen a bit. The pressure rose and noise went down a bit.
So, it's just a lot of testing.
Precautions: do not mess with sliding screen while riding. Only if you want to unlock it and hit it a bit to go down. If you try to rise it you may pull it out of the latches and there you have a big problem.
So, if you want to rise it, stop and do it.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline ccurts

• Bike: GSF650 K8
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 09:01:40 »
Mine is a full face, it's an AGV K3 SV. Not the quietest lid I've had. For me it was toss up between the AGV and a HJC i7.
The AGV felt like the better made but the HJC has wind tunnel bragging rites, even so some users have complained it's the loudest they've ever had.. so faced with such inconclusive noise reviews I just bought the one which I could get the cheapest. I found a great deal on ebay for a new AGV.
It is very light and comfortable once it had been broken in (nearly tore my ears off at first though).
AGV K5, also a great lid.
Whatever you do, Do NOT read this bit

Offline joderest

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 21:52:57 »
Pat, too late, ears been ringing for years now !!!!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2016, 22:01:14 »
One more warning example to heed.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline joderest

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 17:20:56 »
It more than likley was bikes, over 46 odd years that caused ringing (can't spell tinatus )
But I did work in some noisy places as a youth, this before things like ear defenders came about

Offline John Cassidy

• Bike: Suzuki V-Strom 1000A
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2016, 14:55:14 »
I fitted the Airflow to my 1000A a couple of weeks back...   I love it.   With the stock I was getting so much noise and buffeting at motorway speeds that I frankly felt quite scared, as I couldn't concentrate on what the bike was doing.

I attributed it to a long hiatus from biking and being cosseted by four wheels and a metal box for too long,  but it wasn't that.  The Airflow really does work for me.   5' 11'',  Shark Evo One flip helmet. 

Offline Lucan

• Bike: Ducati 939 Hyperstrada
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2016, 17:36:55 »
Standard screen on Veek a nightmare for buffeting and noise. I'm  6.1 with tall seat. Fitted the giving airflow "sorted".. ride with screen on lowest setting good weather, up in bad weather "perfect". Shoe GT air and Arai X tour helmets. The airflow definitely works for me. Hope you get it sorted noise and buffeting really a pain..

Offline BlackRockFox

• Bike: DL650A XT M0
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 18:45:20 »
Had Givi Airflow on 2 bikes...love it...works a treat...and so adjustable

I find I get a lot more helmet wind noise with the main visor down (Shark Vision-R)
Just have the inner sun visor down and it is fine
With the GAF you don't really need to use main visor except when dusty or raining

Hope this helps

Offline BlackRockFox

• Bike: DL650A XT M0
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 18:51:56 »
See above