Author Topic: What do I need to Travel round Europe ??????  (Read 4106 times)

Offline ORANGEFUNMACHINE

What do I need to Travel round Europe ??????
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:14:16 »
Hi
Off on my Vstrom around Europe in a few weeks.
Can anyone tell me what I need to take with me when riding in Italy, France & Switzerland apart from the mandatory documents.
Passport
licence
MOT
Insurance
Personal Insurance
Vehicle Registration
Breakdown Cover
EHIC
Warning Triangle, High Vis Vest, First Aid Kit, GB Sticker, Headlamp Adjuster (tape)

Do I need to buy an International Driving Permit (IDP) for Italy when I have a new driving licence.
Also do I need to purchase reflective helmet stickers for riding in France.

IS there any other areas I need to be aware of ???????
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Regards
Gary

Offline buzzkirk007

• Bike: DL 650 2011
Re: What do I need to Travel round Europe ??????
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:26:43 »
Bulb kit. Not sure you need the headlamp tape on a bike.
Try this site. http://drive-France.com/faqs/motorcycling-France
I was also told if you need glasses to ride you must have a spare pair in case you break them.

Offline Ricky1000

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:23:02 »
Have a look at Tourtime EU Essentials for europe.
It lists all requirements.
Keep her lit

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:49:25 »
Map?

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:51:38 »
Headlights tend to be a straight beam so no deflectors needed. Breathalyser, Bulb Kit, your V5 and an Insurance printout. Details of your breakdown cover.
Then, once all packed, remove half of the clothes you have packed because you won't wear them  :thumb:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 13:39:59 »
After taking all that you might just have room for yourself to ride the bike . !  :shrug:.

I used to take all of that but now just high viz vests , documents and a first aid kit .
I have GB made into my plate , a couple of bulbs under my seat with my tool kit and I don't need beam deflectors because my lights don't have a kick up.
The chances of you being stopped are minimal at best but it's the chance you take. 
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 21:48:53 »
I always take photographs of my paperwork on my phone. Puncture kit is a must in my book.

Offline ORANGEFUNMACHINE

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 21:50:54 »
Thanks everyone.
Some good points.
Does anyone know if I need an IDP (International Driving Permit)  for Italy or will my photo driving licence surfice.

Offline ORANGEFUNMACHINE

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 21:52:35 »
So do all Vstroms not require beam deflectors then.
My bike is a 2009 650 X k9 model.

Online kwackboy

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 22:16:56 »

I've been to Italy twice by bike and didn't even know you needed one . I would have thought your UK licence would be fine .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline ORANGEFUNMACHINE

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 22:20:04 »
OK Thanks.
Do you mind me asking if you used the toll roads and roughly how much they cost  if you did use them.
Going to try keep off the beaten track for the roads and scenery

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 08:47:34 »
When I go I take my
Passport,
UK Driving licence: covers all of Europe,
Insurance documents: both bike and travel insurance,
EHIC, and European breakdown cover,
V5 and vehicle MOT cert , and have a photocopy of each kept in a different pannier to originals.
No need for a warning triangle on a bike,
Also keep a florescent vest in top box with a couple of the disposable breathalyzers ( they're not required by law apparently but saves any arguing if your asked for them)
First aid kit is always handy for plasters, bandages, insect bite cream, anti acids and tablets for the trots if your eating strange foods.
I usually have Goop in my tyres to stave off punctures but still have a repair kit with me.
I also have a tool tube installed on inside left pannier rail with few spanners, pliers, cable ties, tape etc.. typical emergence stuff that would keep your bike together if you have an off or a small breakdown,
Spare bulb kit under the seat,
GB sticker or not if it's shown on your number plate,
My Glee is a flat beam headlight, not sure about the wee, but don't think the beam tapes of old are applicable on bikes, so wouldn't worry about it,
Apart from that make sure you carry at least 2 credit cards or debit cards in case you find one doesn't work when you go for fuel,
Nor do you need any reflective stickers on your helmet for France.
I find keeping a longish 6ft cable lock under the seat is also handy as I use it to lock my gear to the bike when I'm sightseeing, I put the cable through the arms of my jacket and my helmet chinbar and lock it to the bike, nothing worse than trying to carry a helmet and wear a heavy warm coat when your out walking and shopping in 30 degree heat.
Go and enjoy...

Online kwackboy

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 19:28:00 »
OK Thanks.
Do you mind me asking if you used the toll roads and roughly how much they cost  if you did use them.
Going to try keep off the beaten track for the roads and scenery

The autostrada motorways are expensive, even for a bike . If I can remember we travelled around 70miles on one and it cost nearly €20 !!
I tried to avoid them but sometimes they are unavoidable as most other routes take hours .

With that said though the best autostrada we traveled on was the A7 between vocemola and genoa , it's the best in my opinion bit of motorway there is . It's called the knee down motorway with twists and turns for miles that go up and down hills through lots of tunnels , it's a bit like a fairground ride .  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline ORANGEFUNMACHINE

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 21:19:55 »
The autostrada motorways are expensive, even for a bike . If I can remember we travelled around 70miles on one and it cost nearly €20 !!
I tried to avoid them but sometimes they are unavoidable as most other routes take hours .

With that said though the best autostrada we traveled on was the A7 between vocemola and genoa , it's the best in my opinion bit of motorway there is . It's called the knee down motorway with twists and turns for miles that go up and down hills through lots of tunnels , it's a bit like a fairground ride .  :thumb:
Thanks.

When I go I take my
Passport,
V5 and vehicle MOT cert , and have a photocopy of each kept in a different pannier to originals.
Also keep a florescent vest in top box with a couple of the disposable breathalyzers ( they're not required by law apparently but saves any arguing if your asked for them)
First aid kit is always handy for plasters, bandages, insect bite cream, anti acids and tablets for the trots if your eating strange foods.
I usually have Goop in my tyres to stave off punctures but still have a repair kit with me.
I also have a tool tube installed on inside left pannier rail with few spanners, pliers, cable ties, tape etc.. typical emergence stuff that would keep your bike together if you have an off or a small breakdown,
My Glee is a flat beam headlight, not sure about the wee, but don't think the beam tapes of old are applicable on bikes, so wouldn't worry about it,
Apart from that make sure you carry at least 2 credit cards or debit cards in case you find one doesn't work when you go for fuel,
I find keeping a longish 6ft cable lock under the seat is also handy as I use it to lock my gear to the bike when I'm sightseeing, I put the cable through the arms of my jacket and my helmet chinbar and lock it to the bike, nothing worse than trying to carry a helmet and wear a heavy warm coat when your out walking and shopping in 30 degree heat.
Go and enjoy...

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Offline ORANGEFUNMACHINE

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 21:23:05 »
When I go I take my
Passport,
Go and enjoy...
Thanks. Good point with the cable lock.

Thanks.

Offline alan29

• 200th Member
  • Bike: DL650XT M0
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 19:49:20 »
I take copies of all docs on the phone in case some fecker nicks the originals!

Offline L3nny

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 12:48:08 »
Top tip, some toll roads in Italy are free for motorcycles, if the barrier doesn't cover the whole lane and there is room for a bike to get through it normally means it's free for bikes. Most of them have clearly marked motorcycle lanes but often these are faded.

I only realised this after paying to go through two of them  :bawl:

With regard to things to take, I just have my passport and driving licence, everything else saved on my phone and in "the cloud" should my battery die. Which brings me on to the one thing I always take on a tour and that's a mobile phone battery extender I have one of these, you can even jump start the bike from it if needed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DQQZO2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Sam

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 21:03:30 »
I take copies of all docs on the phone in case some fecker nicks the originals!

What about if someone nicks your phone.....?

Online kwackboy

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 22:00:53 »
Top tip, some toll roads in Italy are free for motorcycles, if the barrier doesn't cover the whole lane and there is room for a bike to get through it normally means it's free for bikes. Most of them have clearly marked motorcycle lanes but often these are faded.

I only realised this after paying to go through two of them  :bawl:

Neither did I..  :bawl:

Have to say that's news to me , I didn't see anything of the sort when I was out there ?  :shrug:
Anyone else confirm this as I'm riding around the whole of Italy next year .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 10:13:19 »
IDP is only required outside of EU countries where the Roman alphabet is not standard. I even didn't need it in the USA.