Author Topic: What do I need to Travel round Europe ??????  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
Re: What do I need to Travel round Europe ??????
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 08:25:46 »
I'm off for a jaunt around Brittany and Normandy tomorrow morning, having looked at a previous post of 'Life in a TopBox' I have ditched the panniers and am going for the topbox and tank bag option as it is only me going and I am not camping this time. Means hotel check-ins should be easier as given the cheese-like nature of the 'Stroms pannier locks I don't leave luggage on the bike.

Read recently motorcyclists in France need a fluo vest which is accessible whilst sat on the bike I.e not in the topbox? If you get off to get it you get a fine? Not sure on that one though.

Downloaded the 'Ride' Normandy Day Trip route to the GPS which looks quite good. Some other one's on the site too:

http://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/tour-2014

Offline Parademic

Re: What do I need to Travel round Europe ??????
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 21:20:42 »
It's worth using a route planner like via Michelin to look at where your going. It can estimate costs for being on a bike and also tells u what the toll roads charge along your route.

It can help decide if u want to use a toll or do the beaten track so to say.

There's even an app for it on your phone.

I'd also consider an off line map app on your phone. U can download it before u go and then u don't need data whilst your away (or if not available).

Austria has a charge for using the motorways though. It's called a vignette. U can buy them before u go online and they post them to u. Sometimes easier just in case.

Gareth