Author Topic: Replacing sprockets/chain: what do I need to know?  (Read 8041 times)

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
Re: Replacing sprockets/chain: what do I need to know?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 08:16:44 »
Amber, if you have a glee with 16t front, you reduce the speedo & odo for any given speed or distance covered so you will calculate heavier fuel consumption, both on the onboard mpg display and if you brim & work it out.
If you correct the mileage fuel consumption remains similar to stock gearing.

I have a Sat Nav calibrated Sigma speedo which shows true speed & mileage for comparison between 15 & 16t.

Not sure if this is the same for veeks.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:50 »
Jt's bridgend... enough said.

Ride Coordinator

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 10:26:31 »
 :shock: :shock: :shock: !!!!!!!! Jt's Bridgend!!!!  :shock: :shock: :shock:
Definitely one more tick in the DIY column.

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 21:10:30 »
Amber, if you have a glee with 16t front, you reduce the speedo & odo for any given speed or distance covered so you will calculate heavier fuel consumption, both on the onboard mpg display and if you brim & work it out.
If you correct the mileage fuel consumption remains similar to stock gearing.

Cheers Hondaman, that's good to know. 

I was actually debating changing back to a 15t (purely on the mileage/mpg difference), but I'm kind of liking the more 'relaxed' feel of the bike, and the pickup isn't as poor as I'd feared it might be. :lala:

I have a Sat Nav calibrated Sigma speedo which shows true speed & mileage for comparison between 15 & 16t

Sounds great (hah! get that, filter!)   - do you have any data on differences in speed readout between 15t and Satnav though (I.e. indicated vs. true speed) because I've just fitted a Satnav to my Glee and it's showing (with the usual 2-3 second delay as it catches up with itself) identical speeds, across the complete rev/gear range.  Not sure what to make of that... :shrug:
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 11:20:43 »
Well done with the C&S change Cam! Couple of questions - how many miles did you get from your original set? My bike is on 14600 miles and rear sprocket looks like new, chain only recently (at14505 miles), had a minor bit of adjustment. I lube and clean it regularly and am wondering when I'll be needing a new C&S kit.
Also, did you opt for genuine Suzuki items or did you get aftermarket stuff?
Cheers!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 13:32:10 »
My k6 wee chain lasted 14.5k miles. Every replacement DID chain set lasted about the same.
Strangely the same pitch chain lasted 20k one the bigger and heavier Varadero.

Much depends on how you ride, where you ride, conditions you ride in and maintenance.
My wee was used year round with all the nasty salt, road crud with only irregular cleaning but with a scottoiler fitted.
My Varadero on the other hand stops getting used when the first salt hits the roads. So this may explain some of the difference.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Cam

• Bike: 2012 DL650
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 13:50:07 »
I'm not entirely sure how many miles the chain/sprockets did because I bought it with 8k on the clock and they may have been changed before then. I've put 11k on it, so they may have lasted the full 19k, but at least 11k. I went with DID chain and non-oem sprockets.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2016, 13:52:35 »
DID chain and JT sprockets is the way.

Gold looks funky and reduces rusting, but keeping the chain clean and oiled is the best option.

Ride Coordinator

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2016, 14:19:32 »
I'm inclined to replace with OE as the standard set up is great, lasts ages.
I've got 4 notches left on the adjustment scale, the chain and sprocket seems in great shape.

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2016, 14:21:04 »
Here's a pic:

Offline ukiboy

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 14:24:21 »
I use either chain wax or high end chain lube, motul is what I've used recently and I use gt85 to comprehensively clean the chain and sprockets at approximately 3 monthly intervals..

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 15:36:45 »
Most Japanese manufacturers will use DID chains as OEM parts.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2016, 16:07:49 »

Cheers Hondaman, that's good to know. 

I was actually debating changing back to a 15t (purely on the mileage/mpg difference), but I'm kind of liking the more 'relaxed' feel of the bike, and the pickup isn't as poor as I'd feared it might be. :lala:

Sounds great (hah! get that, filter!)   - do you have any data on differences in speed readout between 15t and Satnav though (I.e. indicated vs. true speed) because I've just fitted a Satnav to my Glee and it's showing (with the usual 2-3 second delay as it catches up with itself) identical speeds, across the complete rev/gear range.  Not sure what to make of that... :shrug:

As I recall the glee, with stock gearing (15t front) over reads by just under 10% 76/77mph on speedo for a true 70.
Mpg displayed used to be pretty accurate when brimmed & calculated when running 15t
 With 16t front, the display will underread mpg by 4-5 mpg (the display will show increased mpg), even if brimmed & calculated will be out unless you have a means of recording correct mileage covered (ie Sat Nav, calibrated cycle speedo or speedo healer etc)

Most Japanese manufacturers will use DID chains as OEM parts.
Not always, RK & Regina are also fitted.

I always go for DID x ring chain, gen front sprocket & whatever rear, and expect 35+k with year round use but well lubed (with old engine oil)

My glee needed frequent adjusting for the first couple of thousand, I was thinking it was maybe a cheap chainbut has since settled down & needed no further adjustment.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 20:39:41 »
My Glee OEM chain and sprockets lasted 24,000 miles / 4 years - used all year round. The chain had a few tight spots but was otherwise fine. The rear sprocket was fine. The front sprocket was a bit hooked though. Have replaced with OEM front sprocket )for the rubber dampener),  D.I.D. X-ring gold heavy duty chain and JT rear sprocket.

The OEM chain hardly got adjusted, it ran with a scotoiler from day one, and I usually use a paintbrush to oil the chain with the scotoiler oil every couple of weeks.