Author Topic: Replacing sprockets/chain: what do I need to know?  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Cam

• Bike: 2012 DL650
Replacing sprockets/chain: what do I need to know?
« on: July 21, 2016, 13:19:49 »
Hello all!

My replacement sprockets and chain have arrived and I'll attempt to get everything swapped over this weekend. I have a '12 Glee — what extra bits of knowledge / advice can you give me beyond what Mr Haynes will say? This is my first 'big' job on the bike, so nothing is too trivial or obvious.

Thanks muchly!

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
Re: Replacing sprockets/chain: what do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 15:26:03 »
Don't break the chain until you've loosen the front sprocket nut. Put some wood through the rear wheel to prevent it from turning. Impact wrench will make light work of it if you have one.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 16:03:41 »
The front sprocket will be the hardest, good advice above using a piece of wood to block the back wheel, although when I tried it, the wood started to creak so I resorted to the impact wrench  :)
Clean out the sprocket cover while it's off as they get quite a build up of dirt/chain lube etc.

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 17:45:54 »
Agree, front sprocket can be a bugger to get off, mine was so tight, I gave up as thought might damage gear box or rear wheel. Took bike to local garage, with some tools to take cover off and bend back locking tab, they put their windy impact wrench on, took seconds to loosen it, I just nipped it back up, rode home, and then took it off.
Rest of job is very easy, just follow the book. Have you got a decent chain tool to do the link ?

Offline Kellogs

• Bike: DL1000 K7 and DR650se 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 18:06:53 »
Not sure what tool you're using to break the old and join the new chain but plenty of good YouTube videos on it. This part made me the most nervous so take your time and good luck. I bought this set and it worked treat
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Chain-Breaker-Riveter-Kit/dp/B00GG02YQQ

Good luck :fix:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 18:17:18 »
As has been said with previously, first time removal of the front sprocket requires an impact gun for the best and safest result.

I use:
2ft breaker bar and socket for removal of sprocket nut.
3ft bolt cutters (cut old chain once sprocket undone, also put through back wheel covered in old jacket sleeve to tighten front sprocket nut)
Chain tool to press together split link in new chain.
Various spanners and socket set.
Small ball hammer to flatten the rivet head once splayed out with the chain tool.

Should take about an hour when you get confident doing it.

Have a look at youtube for videos as a guide.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 01:35:56 »
Almost everything's been covered very well above, but I also found that if the front sprocket is a bit reluctant it could be that the red threadlock is doing it's job a bit too well - I found that the brief application of heat loosens it up a bit; 10 seconds or so around the nut (using one of those blue-flame kitchen doofers for caramelizing sugar is good) and a quick pull with a long breaker bar should shift it.

Good luck :) it's a satisfying job when it's completed, but be prepared for unexpected foul-ups... :fix: :dl_smiley_banghead: ###  the first time I did it (on my '12 glee) it took me over 4 hours! - although that was because I also discovered that the rear sprocket carrier bearing had lunched itself and was spitting bits of cage everywhere, and the second time (just a couple of weeks ago) also took me 3 1/2 hours, but this time it was a nut on the replacement sprocket carrier which wouldn't budge - I eventually had to chisel the bastard off!  :GRR:...still, it was satisfying having done it  :lala: 

also, I used a little dremel (old Woolies equivalent actually) to cut the chain, effortless and quick.

Oh, and I put a damped 16 tooth cog on the front, just to see if the reports were true...  (these being better motorway driving and better mpg)..... a thousand miles later, I can say that she does feel a bit less revvy at 70 (~5100rpm) but as suspected, the way I ride has increased the consumption rate [I.e. mpg's gone down from 68/69 to 64/65], but I'll stick with it just in case it's the summer making me more....throttley assertive....  :shy:
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 12:56:26 »
Good advice using something solid like bolt choppers to wedge the back wheel. Removing the front sprocket creates a lot of torque on the wheel. It laughed at the 2x2 I tried first. Agree about the kitchen blowtorch. One of my favourite 'tools'.
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 16:25:25 »
Back in the day I had the toughest tightest sprocket in the world. But once I changed the direction of undoing doing it up life was easy. I still groan about that day.

Offline Cam

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 19:17:12 »
Everyone: thank you so much for all the excellent advice. I started at 9am this morning and after a bit of fettling of the chain breaker tool, managed to get everything off (after a quick trip to Halfords for a 32mm socket for the front sprocket nut).

Had to pop out to pick up some things at B&Q, so took the opportunity to pick up a 1/2inch extension which made tightening the front sprocket nut a lot easier. Taking it off, it kept fouling on my crash bars, the the extension got it out past the bars and managed to get up to the required 145nm.

In total, probably took me a good 5 hours, but I was taking my time and also cleaned everything in there really well, so I'm confident it'll all run a lot smoother now. Also, no bits left over, which is nice.

All in all, delighted to have become this job under my belt, and now feel confident in taking on other jobs. Thanks again for all the help.

C.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 20:15:54 »
:clap:

I still wouldn't do mine though  :shy:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 20:25:10 »
Scaredy cat!

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 23:10:00 »
Good job  :thumb:

I wanted to do mine but the missus wasn't having any of it... so local shop did it - only cost c. £45 to fit and took an hour.

Offline Kellogs

• Bike: DL1000 K7 and DR650se 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 00:12:14 »
Nice job mate :fix:

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 11:19:18 »
I like those nice golden chains, me thinks next time !!!!!

Offline Cam

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 15:16:49 »
I went for the gold coloured one as I read online somewhere (so obviously it totally true) that the gold is an additional coating and therefore prevents rust for longer. Don't know if it's bs or not, but I figured I'd give it a go. There's barely any other colour on the bike that isn't grey, so it's a wee splash of brightness to liven things up. :-)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 20:21:57 »
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 21:05:38 »
£45 for garage to do it. £49 for that one particular tool. If you're not doing a lot, garage wins for me.

Offline Cam

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 07:37:13 »
Fair enough — can't argue with that maths. However, for me, part of the reason in getting a bike was to have something to tinker about on. I enjoyed doing the job and got a lot of satisfaction from the fact it's still hanging together after 100 miles of riding. :-)

Offline mobytrip

• Bike: DL650X K7
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 07:53:20 »
well just to add another 'front sprocket nut' comment......
I changed my chain last week (DID with gold pimping) and only took 1 hour.
but the interesting thing (read frightening) was that I took the front sprocket nut off with my fingers!!!!
Not only was it not tight the lock washer had not been peened over.
Last person to change the chain....... JTs Bridgend.