Author Topic: Got home yesterday after first decent trip on Veek  (Read 1520 times)

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
Got home yesterday after first decent trip on Veek
« on: June 29, 2016, 15:49:45 »
The weather forecast was good, and with a mate finally went up north to the highlands.  This was about third time of asking, and in previous years ended up changing plans at the 11th hour due to crap weather forecast, and ended up heading to the channel tunnel and onto continent in search of warmer damp free environment.   That was not an option this year with accommodation at a premium due to Euros, and strikes on the continent in France in particular. It was Scotland or nowhere.

My mate has a Moto Guzzi Stelvio and last week we headed North.

The Veek.  Performed faultlessly. Quite frugal really.  The worst MPG I got from a full tank was 49.6 and the best 55.7.   I filled up on 11 occasions.  I would tend to fill the tank up around 170 miles onwards and always had 4 or 5 litres left.   The last bar on fuel gauge would come on.  That was a true MPG as well, not on computer, brimming the tank and resetting trip and working it out.   I have a  Dyno jet PCFC installed so mine is is set up properly.  It is no longer running lean, and I suspect MPG is about standard.

I loved the engine and it seems to be getting looser now.  2500 miles since middle March.  Had a couple of real dosing’s (bloody weather) but scotoiler kept  the chain in fine fettle.

On a couple of occasions I swopped bikes with mate and rode his Stelvio.  What a tank that was.  A huge screen but suffered appalling buffeting.  He mentioned that mine was amazing and still air!  Yes, I have a Givi Air Flow and out of all the additions I have put on bike this has made long distance stuff a stroll in the park.  He has already looked to see if Givi do one for the Stelvio (They don’t!!).

The Suzuki three-box luggage system is fine. (I would suggest if you are on your own.)  I think it would be a struggle if you took the other half.  I also had a tank bag. The panniers never leaked at all and made filtering on the M6 a breeze with the usual 2 hour delays due to incidents and so on.   Pleased I picked some up from a chap here on this forum selling his due to not enough room when two up .  They really look good on the bike and are nice and 'slim'.

The only issue I had was the seat.  It has not really ‘given’ in the time I have had it, and long days were not good for my arse.  I have made up my mind it will be going to Tony Archer end of the year who transformed my last perch into a 8 hour s day comfort seat .

The weather beat us a bit, atlantic weather fronts coming in so we stayed in the east to try and avoid worst of it.

All in still very happy with Bike and today gave it a clean and like new again  :smirk:
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Re: Got home yesterday after first decent trip on Veek
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 17:42:49 »
Brilliant report, thank you for sharing. I'm chuffed you enjoyed it.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 18:46:23 »
They are good at eating the miles with smiles, fine report. :)

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 20:58:40 »
Try an air hawk saddle topper, I leave it on for the long motorway bits and take it off for the fun stuff :)  makes a huge difference no sore arse.