Author Topic: Carrying pillion on Glee for first time?  (Read 2969 times)

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Carrying pillion on Glee for first time?
« on: May 15, 2016, 07:28:08 »
I'm planning on going for a ride later with my wife as pillion for the first time since buying my Glee. On my Bandit I just had to put a bit of extra pressure in the rear tyre and see from handbook Glee is the same but couldn't find any mention of adjusting rear suspension despite reading in tests, when looking for a new bike, how easy it is on Glee with remote adjuster.
She is about 8.5 st so would this be necessary or only adjust tyre pressures? Thanks.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
Re: Carrying pillion on Glee for first time?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 07:57:54 »
I shouldn't worry about the suspension, try it like it is.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:07 »
Hi. I took my wife as pillion for the first time last Sunday, she is a similar size. Didn't do any adjustments, just wanted to see how the bike would handle it. Apart from the extra weight and slightly slower overtake the bike handled almost the same and she said it was a lot more pleasant than being on the back of the 650 bandit I had before.
This bike is great  :lala: the more I ride it the better I like it. Have just completed 2000 miles after my ride out yesterday, only had it about 6 weeks and I only use it for pleasure can't seem to leave it alone, average 69.5 mpg.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:38:02 »
You do need to add preload on the rear with the added weight if your preload was set properly for a solo rider. You want the suspension to sag about 40mm from full extension when loaded. Change the load markedly and the sag will change markedly. Even if the suspension does not top out solo or bottom out dual, your headlight aim will change and rough roads may result in an unwelcome surprise. Typically, you'll check the sag for both loads and know how much to change the preload setting before each ride depending on the load.

Changing the rear preload using the knob will handle the entire job as long as the weight does not exceed the ability of the preload knob to compensate. A change in seat or luggage load really has little effect on the front suspension sag.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 21:09:38 »
I agree. It's worth winding up the preload by turning the adjuster through a few clicks (I usually turn through 6 clicks when carrying the wife). You will notice the difference on bumpy roads and fast tight cornering if you don't adjust it - the bike will wallow a bit. Also add a few PSI to the back tyre.

ProfG

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 21:13:20 »
^^^

Either that or just put the wife on a diet. No need for constant adjustments  :grin:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 22:17:00 »
Fully loaded for a camping trip my Glee's front end got very light and that was not 8st.  :shock:    I cranked the pre-load on the rear spring** and the steering  returned to normal. But it did make the seat taller so be aware of that..

** ( actually it was done by Fatrat as I could not turn the adjuster due to weak wrist (don't ask)). :old:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 11:42:37 »
Hi, thank you everyone. We went out Sunday and only increased the rear tyre pressure and although not too bad could feel a change in the handling so will experiment with the rear preload next time.
I am away on my own in a couple of weeks for a few days and will have both panniers and top box on so presume the advice would be the same but as it will be lighter presumably not so much preload adjustment needed?
By the way she was very impressed with the comfort on the Glee compared to the Bandit so another positive for changing to a VStrom!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 22:06:33 »
Just have a play. Wind it right up to max, go out and have a ride, see what it does. Stick some preload on the forks too? Same, go ride. You soon get to learn what feels best. I have both front and rear preloads set quite high on my Glee and wind the rear up to max with luggage, no pillion.