Author Topic: Alloy Suzuki lugage/frame  (Read 911 times)

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
Alloy Suzuki lugage/frame
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:24:46 »
I just stumbled across a video from the states saying that the pannier rack on the Glee is designed for rapid removal.
Sure enough it is, a quarter turn on the big screw and off they pop.
This means the locks on the panniers are completely pointless as you can take the panniers and frame with a 50p coin!!!!
Anyone else know this, I certainly didn't!
I don't know if it is the same on other models as this was for the Glee.

On that note, what have people done to make them more secure!
2008 650

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
Re: Alloy Suzuki lugage/frame
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:26:44 »
Some frames are quick release and some aren't, Givi do racks with both options too, I chose the permanently fixed option for security reasons, like you say no point in having locking panniers when you can just release the frames with them and walk away.

Offline Kayaker413

• Bike: 2008 650
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 18:11:24 »
Seems bloody stupid to me on that sort of bike maybe on a sporty bike you would want the option to remove it!
2008 650

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 19:24:17 »
I have the quick release ones as I don't want empty rails on the bike when not in use.  I doubt a thief would be wondering around looking to pull pannier rails off when a screwdriver through the lock on the box would probably do the job just as well (and less inconspicuous than wondering round with panniers with rails attached). That said, there is a locking point to allow padlocks to secure them to the bike too.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 19:47:28 »
I have S W Motech racks on the GSX.
They are the removable ones which you can also get for the Strom.

We got them second hand from a nice bloke in Germany who'd fitted the locking 'bolts' to one point each side.

That way they can be removed when not wanted and put back on for a tour.
The mrs has said to leave them on as she may want the boxes for "lady stuff" when she goes out for a spin.

They have givi mounting lugs but are not the nicest looking bit of kit but functional. 

You may just be able to see the locking bolt just behind the rear shock top mount.

Ride Coordinator

Offline MickyV

• Bike: DL650XT L6, 1977 TS250-HD Low Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 19:55:18 »
I bought my v strom this March with the luggage package. The panniers came with key operated locks on the frame in place of the quick release bolts. I think you can purchase them from any Suzuki dealer as I have seen them on their website with the various "ad ons" they sell.