Author Topic: Indicator issue: advice?  (Read 13057 times)

Offline pr

• Bike: DL650A K7
Re: Indicator issue: advice?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2016, 15:34:46 »
Well, I tested the connector in the fairing (which I marked as 1) and that works. I get power on both the left and the right signal when I set the indicator switch. So the problem seems to be on the left side of 1 in my wiring diagram.
Or does that mean it could still be nr 3 :shrug:

ProfG

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2016, 16:04:01 »
What you have marked are connectors not switches.
Here is a colour wiring diagram

Offline pr

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 16:20:16 »
Yes, that's what I meant. So I unplugged connector 1, connected the multimeter to black/white and lightgreen on the unplugged connector on the bike side, ignition on and then the indicator to the right on. And repeated for left hand indicator. In both cases I got a voltage that was going up and down (I.e. lights were supposed to blink).

With the left side indicators (good side), the front left light was not working (because connector unplugged) and rear left was blinking at double speed (what you expect with 1 light 'broken').
When doing this on the right side, none of them are working still.

Does that mean it's probably not the yellow connector (because that one is responsible for the power of the whole indicator system, both front and back), and it needs to be checked on the rear connector? (I read there is one supposed to be under the seat in the back?)

ProfG

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2016, 16:39:26 »
Since you don't have a probe, what you could do is take a longish piece of wire, insert it into the end of the connector on the main loom side (not the one that goes to the indicator) and connect the other end to the indicator directly. See if it works properly. If it does then the problem is between the indicator side connector and the indicator.

Remember the problem could be the earth wire (black), not just the live. Check your earth wires also

Offline greywolf

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 16:44:25 »
You may be getting enough power to get the meter to work but not a light. That is common in marginal connections. Since both front and rear right side blinkers are out completely, the problem can't be in connectors 1 or 3 unless both failed simultaneously. Connector 2 is the most likely culprit or a crimp connection hidden in the loom or switch housing. There is a crimp connection on the light green wire inside the left handlebar switch housing and another near connector #1 in the diagram. Rig a test light with a signal bulb rather than a meter to add the load of the light to the test.

The black wire is the left turn signal wire. Earth is black with a white stripe and a break in that in connector #2 would either kill the horn or prevent the starter motor from working too.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 19:49:19 »
How did you get on Paul?
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline pr

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 20:04:23 »
I didn't manage to find out. After reading GW's post, I took the left handlebar switch housing apart. I didn't have anything to test it with a bulb so just visually inspected. The connections looked OK inside.

I had to put everything back together, because my man-cave is a garden and it might rain again tonight..
Maybe tomorrow I could try something if I have time. And that connector nr 2, is that the yellow one?

Offline greywolf

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 22:33:17 »
Connector colors are meaningless. The same connector can be had in black, white, yellow, green etc.. Look at the wire colors in the connector. The most likely connector behind the radiator will have a light green wire. Connector #2 is the only one with a wire that color.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline pr

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2016, 22:56:18 »
Good point. I was looking behind the radiator and couldn't really spot a large connector, but I was looking for a yellow one...

Thanks so far, blokes! Let's hope it stays dry tomorrow, so I can have another look.

ProfG

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2016, 23:08:47 »
There should be 2 connectors plugged into your radiator cover. One is smaller and comes from the start button. That will be towards the right of the cover. Then there is the larger one which is what you want to have a look at. That could be yellow or green or maybe any other colour. Like I said, mine is green. This one is easier to get at from the left side of the bike.

Then you have the larger connector below the left handlebar with a plastic/rubber bell shaped cover. Check that too. Infact since you have taken the fairings and other bits and bobs off, it might be a good idea to check all the connectors and spray them with a degreaser/anti corrosion and reinsert them again. This way you will protect and prevent them from corroding in the future.

I went through the same process as you a few weeks ago where I too had lighting trouble.

Offline pr

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 23:23:25 »
Thanks Professor, I did manage to get to the connector below handlebar with the plastic cover fairly easy and it looked clean. I could spray it tomorrow. Is a bit of WD40 good enough for that?

ProfG

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 23:35:42 »
You have to be careful that the spray will not leave a residue that would be a conductor as it may short circuit other pins. I used SOS 10 which is what a mechanic friend uses.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2016, 00:25:23 »
A bad connection in the large connector in the left side of the fairing will not kill the right rear blinker, only the front one. The right rear blinker would come on and stay on. The yellow connector on the left in this picture is the #2 connector. Yours could be any color though. The light blue common wire from the flasher is evident though the light green wire must be hidden to the rear. I think I see a hint of it between the two right predominantly black wires. The far right one looks black/yellow which is one of the clutch lever switch wires. The other two may be all black, black/yellow or black/white. Ignore the red arrow. It locates the heated grip connector.

Offline pr

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2016, 12:03:35 »
It's fixed!!  :dance:
Thanks all!

So I did one more test: rigged a bulb directly onto connector 1 in lhs fairing and that worked fine: both front and back were flashing normally. So I assumed the problem was in the wiring in the front part. Just stuck my hand in there, did some random wiggles and it worked? :shock: :fix:

If it happens again, I can start looking in the front part then. Will take it for a proper test ride now and see how she behaves :dl_bike:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 12:14:59 »
That's good news Paul but I'd be wanting to get to the source of the intermittent connection. If it's a loose connection or corrosion it's not going to get better  :thumb:

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline pr

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 15:22:46 »
I agree, but I didn't have more time to do any long jobs, so I'll put it on my to-do-list for a long sunny spring day.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 15:48:04 »
I think your biggest challenge there is finding a long sunny day  :rain:

Offline pr

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 18:10:37 »
I'm thinking of a gazebo

Offline pr

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2016, 23:59:38 »
Hi all

So I got back to my to-do-list and tried to fix the loose connector or faulty wiring. The right hand indicators are not working anymore and fiddling the wiring in the front doesn't work anymore either. (that was a matter of time...)
Because last time I already found that a bulb attached directly on the connector in front left fairing works well, I think the problem is somewhere in the front part of the wiring. I'm having trouble opening all the front up and taking all the panels off. I spent some hours, but there are some screws and plastic rivets that are not cooperating: they seem stuck. Any advice? I didn't dare to force it.

Is it an idea to bypass the wiring in the front and connect a new wire to the connector in front fairing so it bypasses the problem area? I realise this could result in the indicator light in the dashboard not coming on. But I'm going on a trip on Friday and was hoping to make it at least road-legal (and safe).

-Paul

Offline greywolf

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2016, 00:10:52 »
You can connect the light green wire at the front of the bike to the light green wire at the rear. If that doesn't do it, connect the black/white earth wire at the front to a wire of the same colour under the seat.