Author Topic: One step closer to my V-Strom!  (Read 3662 times)

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
  • Bike: DL650 - AL3 (Blue)
One step closer to my V-Strom!
« on: March 07, 2016, 19:47:04 »
I visited the dealership today and got a good look at the V-Strom up close, definitely a much better looking bike then people give it credit for! I found out that they'll throw in the A2 restrictions for free, so that's a major bonus. The only massive bitch is I won't be allowed to test ride one. They won't let you on without a minimum of one year with a licence, unfortunately I don't. So it looks like I'm going in blind  :groan:

But other than that, I'm probably days away from taking the plunge and buying one!

Offline Wayne_202

Re: One step closer to my V-Strom!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 20:07:26 »
Personally I don't think u will be disappointed. Is it a brand new one you are looking at?

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 20:21:13 »
I'm sure you will like the bike, so easy to ride, and yet involving and capable, I was most impressed by the few days I had on one.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 20:55:39 »
I bought my Wee without a test ride as I passed my test on Friday and bought a Strom on Monday.
60k miles later, I was still enjoying it and I was looking for another one when the old one died. But I joined traitors corner with an 'onda.

I haven't ruled out another when the time comes to replace the Varadero.

They are a very comfortable, capable and fun bike.
Many riders on here are riders with years of experience who chose the Strom after test riding the competition and the Strom's test ride was to rule it out, but it proved the best all-rounder.

I sat on everything out there while still a learner. I wanted a Triumph America cruiser, but I sat on a 650 Wee and it just felt right. When the time came to buy a big bike I saw a blue Wee in the corner and recalled the 'right feeling' when out nosing at bikes. Had to have a sit on it and yep that was the one. (crap, I'm getting all teary eyed here)

She helped me learn to ride and I mean taught me a few lessons they don't tell you about. Took me all over the UK, 2up around Scotland carrying everything and the kitchen sink. She went places a V--Strom has no right to go. It took a real pasting.

In effect I'm saying it's a fantastic first big bike, it might not be for everyone, but it's a bike that's capable of a little bit of everything letting you have at least a little taster of whatever riding you fancy.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 00:50:18 »
What about hiring one for a day  :lala: ? That's what I did.

I was all set (having looked at loads of online reviews) to buy a BMW G650GS, when a friend of mine visited England and wanted to go for a short tour on a hired motorbike. The nearest place to me didn't have the BMW, so I picked its closest rival (from their line-up of bikes) - the 650 V Strom.

We had such a great day's riding, despite (literally) gale force winds (last March) and frequent rain. I loved the way that I could easily handle the Suzuki (even when the wind meant that the bike was leaned over to nearly 45 degrees just so that I could keep going in a straight line against the side wind). It felt so 'planted', as well as being very comfy to sit on and let's not forget the easy going v-twin power plant and its decent pull from low revs in high gears  :lala:.

After that day, I was sold on having one, despite thinking that they were probably the ugliest modern motorbike I had ever seen  :shock: .

You can get a much better idea of how the bike might suit you if you ride one for a day, compared to a nervous and twitchy lap around the block from the dealer's showroom as he watches you from the window :grin: .

This place requires you to be 23 or over, but don't care how long you've had your licence ...

http://www.westsussexmotorcyclehire.co.uk/Suzuki-v-strom-650-grand-tourer/

Not sure where you are (can't see your location while I'm making this post), but there are bike places all over the UK.

Whatever you do, good luck  :icon_wink:!

(P.S. Buy a V-Strom, buy a V-Strom, buy a V-Strom ...)

Offline FluffiestPond

• The Stigs Welsh Cousin
  • Bike: DL650 - AL3 (Blue)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 15:37:12 »
I've looked into the kind of places you're talking about and they're pretty much all over the age of 23 and the rest want 1 years licence, which I have neither so yeah.

But! I have decided to buy a V-Strom anyway and presume that the 1000000000000000000000s of amazing reviews of it are spot on!

I just Got to wait a few weeks for my money to come in and then I'll be straight down the dealers making them drool over the amount of extra's I'm adding.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 15:54:10 »
If they give you the restricted ECU in with the deal, make sure you get them to give you the full power one too, so you can swap over when you do your tests again. I've heard of people doing the tests on their restricted bike and just making out like it is unrestricted, then it is just the test fees you are paying for. You could also swap the ECU in the car park for tests if it bothered you.

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 16:31:52 »
Yeah, if you've done your homework and decided that you like the idea of a 650 V-Strom then I can't honestly see you being disappointed when you actually own one  :). They are the kind of bike that few bikers really want to like at first (or so I've read), but once they've spent time on one (especially sports bike riders who are getting on in years  :roll:) they are very often 'converted' and want to own one.

If you're quite new to riding larger bikes (than 125cc especially), then the V-Strom is still not likely to ever be intimidating (some mid-size, in-line four sports bikes can be frighteningly quick when you first ride one  :icon_no:), nor is it something that you are likely to outgrow in a few months. At least, that's what I think.

In time, you may decided that you want more power (especially if you carry a pillion, heavy luggage or tour on motorways a lot), but if you're someone who respects the speed limits  :icon_wink: then a 650cc V-Strom will be all you'll ever really need for solo riding.

Finally, unless you can get a really good 'inclusive' deal, you might not want to add all entirely original 'Suzuki' accessories  :smirk:. There are other firms who make much better/cheaper (and sometimes both) accessories for the V-Strom. For example, the Givi 'Trekker Outback' top box looks very similar to Suzuki's rugged offering, but I think that the Givi is far better made - it also costs less and will be easier to sell again or to fit to another bike. Screens are another vey contentious area where many people prefer after market solutions to OME parts  :icon_wink:.

Well, good luck and keep us all posted with your progress.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 20:02:34 »
 Go easy on extras from the dealer. Often folk on here have bits available for reasonable money.

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 09:03:47 »
If you are looking to buy a new one the extras should be able to be added to the 0%  finance deal providing you get a good deal on the basic price of the bike and the total doesn't exceed the OTR standard price. My bike which arrives tomorrow :happydance: had all the extras I wanted fitted and was still under the standard OTR price so I was able to get it all on 0%.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 09:17:28 »
I was also told if you buy OEM accessories at the time of the bike they come with the 2yr warranty of the bike rather than the 1yr warranty they normally have.

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:02 »
Check out the auto-trader bike site, they still have some really good deals. :) New bike for under 5.5k, OK they are pre-reg but who cares if they still have 0 miles and its a good deal. Most dealers will now deliver anywhere in the country, mine is coming from Preston.

Offline jdcook

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 11:47:48 »
It's a bit of a trek for you but "Road and Racing" in Hyde let me test ride anything with a licence so new it was still wet. I bought my XT from them and have been very happy (with everything but the weather).