Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 241347 times)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #3380 on: July 16, 2023, 19:18:53 »
Took the "stone" to Grumpy's for a bacon and egg baguette and meet with a pal. Then on the Oulton Broad for a coffee. Windy, sunny, warm and rain free. Another nice 160mile ride out.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3381 on: July 17, 2023, 14:22:01 »
Meanwhile back on the XJ600... The rear sprocket looks a bit worn so I ordered a new set of sprockets and chain. Today I removed the front sprocket cover and 'my word' it is so full of grease and dust that it must weigh 25% more. The front sprocket which should be 80 ftlbs was loose. The tab washer had only one tab left and then only a small part of the "last leg" was touching the nut. The lightest of taps was administered ant the tab released the nut which was undone with my fingers. The front sprocket is rusty but the chain still has that new chain stiffness about it. I think that whoever refreshed the bike after its eight or so years lay-up renewed the chain, but not the sprockets or the washer or bothered cleaning what can't be seen.  The owner before me only did a few dozen miles on the bike and I fear another few more would have seen the engine sprocket  grinding it's way through the sprocket cover. The nice new rear brake caliper will now get a new braided brake line which is just as well as when I removed the it the banjo bolt was only finger tight.   The one job I haven't thought out is what to do about the main stand. On the standard twin exhaust system a spring holds the stand against a bum stop on the left side exhaust. As the is a four into one system fitted there is nothing on the left side to take the bounce of the stand. Marks on the underside of the swing arm bear testimony to this omission. It must have made a fair old clanking sound  as the stand battered the swing arm.  Maybe I'll just remove it.
Seems a shame to dump the rear chain but as I have opted for two extra teeth on the rear sprocket it wouldn't have fitted anyway.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3382 on: July 17, 2023, 15:20:16 »
Is there  the possibility  of self tapping a rubber bung to the stand itself?

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #3383 on: July 17, 2023, 15:35:36 »
Great job Brockett  that XJ600 will be like a new bike 👍 and I know you have enjoyed doing it fair play to you sir 👍

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3384 on: July 17, 2023, 20:55:28 »
@ nigel s  it's an idea but it would still bounce up and down on the swing arm. However if I can make a fixing point using the now redundant left side exhaust hanger then that might work.  It will have be a well done or it'll end up in the back wheel and I'll be legs akimbo in a ditch.

@ Asmith I will make the mechanical good but the paintwork is "rattle can imperfect" just to keep the rust at bay. So not "like new". I've just had good look at the rear shock and "shock" is the right word. I think I have to blow the budget on a Hagon.

on a brighter note I have found removing and fitting tyres with a set of Ebay spoons much easier than I imagined. I am now waiting for a wheel balance stand so I can finish the wheels off.  :fix:

Offline nigel s

« Reply #3385 on: July 18, 2023, 06:29:24 »
Brockett
Try MCT to see if Darren can rebuild the original,and maybe get a cheeky revalve ,01449 777161.You can post it,he will post it back.Though it is an excuse for a ride out.He is closed on mondays.
He did my std gen 1 fazer shock which others said was not rebuildable (with a posh ohlins yellow spring! )and transformed the ride for less than the price of a cheaper after market job.Always worth a call?

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3386 on: July 18, 2023, 20:44:03 »
Yes nigel s that's a good idea but I dread to think what condition it is in as it is caked in something not entirely unlke Hammerite when applied with a trowel. I'd be ashamed to throw it in the tip.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #3387 on: July 20, 2023, 17:40:17 »
Yesterday.

Went for a bimble, met up with a very tardy Endintears at Wetherby services (should have been between 7.15 and 7.30, he rocks up at 7.45 with excuse after excuse....) a quick run up the A1 to the A66. Then onto Middleton in Teasdale, to Alston via B6277 to meet at Hickins' café for breakfast with Rusty who made the very short trip from the North Lakes. Needless to say the café was shut despite me checking the day before. lol

Onwards via the A686 to (Nicky)Hayden Bridge then up to Kielder to "do" Forest Drive. A quick run along there ( I selected "off-road" and it does allow significant wheelspin  :thumb:), rightly or wrongly I travelled at 3 times the recommended speed limit and didn't die.

Out of Kielder onto the A68 North and headed for the border, crossed into Scotland and headed home.

Unfortunately for me the road I wanted out of Hexham was shut, no worries I sorted an alternative only for another part of my planned route to be shut. Toys were thrown by me and ended up A68 again and joined the A1 South near Darlington.

390 miles for me and just under 13 hours.

Many, many thanks to the rest of Orange Order for allowing me to ruin their ride with my shit planning, they are rather dim, I doubt they noticed. :lala:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3388 on: July 20, 2023, 18:59:30 »
Carter Barr looks nice.
Upt.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3389 on: July 20, 2023, 19:27:03 »
What is it with you and cafes?
I'm sure under normal circumstances it would have been open but they heard you three were on your way & closed before being Tangoed.  :icon_wink:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s & SH300i
« Reply #3390 on: July 20, 2023, 20:06:56 »
If you need to cut down on your grub on a ride out,  invite TL ...  :stirpot: :icon_wink:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3391 on: July 20, 2023, 20:10:17 »
Dim.

Harsh.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3392 on: July 20, 2023, 21:49:12 »
I remember you taking that fallen tree pic TL.
Or more accurately remember me and Rusty visors down trying to fend off the midges whilst you took it. :)

Offline TLPower

« Reply #3393 on: July 21, 2023, 10:23:15 »
"Dim"

Must have been the auto correct again, I actually typed accommodating. Sorry to all concerned.

One highlight for me with the closure of the B6278 was the A68, there are a series of blind summits, the steepest of which is akin to a rollercoaster. Going over the top was like a scene from "Deadliest Catch" when a ship falls off the top of a wave.

Another high point was the fruit cake kindly supplied by Mrs Endintears, clearly a dig at me as her Husband's ration was eaten at my house by Shithead.

Many thanks Mrs Tears. :ty:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3394 on: July 21, 2023, 11:52:46 »
Lost in space Northumberland.
Between us; three satnavs with GPS signal, three smartphones with phone signal [Google maps etc].

We end up looking at a nearly 15 year old water damaged A5 map that I'd almost forgotten I had stowed under the seat of the bike lol lol

Offline TLPower

« Reply #3395 on: July 21, 2023, 13:07:49 »
That map saved my sanity.

I was waiting for the stars to come out.  :lala:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3396 on: July 21, 2023, 13:24:56 »
Took it to work for the first time in months.

Also packed my camp stove and plan to go find a beach, cook my evening meal of sausage baps and cup of tea... pics to follow hopefully.

Ride Coordinator

Offline nigel s

« Reply #3397 on: July 21, 2023, 17:08:57 »
mr-diver
Tip of the hat,wild cooking from a bike at its best. :thumb:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3398 on: July 21, 2023, 19:39:37 »
Pic as promised... went to Ogmore-by-sea, sheltered on the the left side of the picture.
Can't see the bike in the picture, but it's about 30ft away on top of the outcrop.

I take a small Trangia mini stove out with me on the bike most of the time, a quite often pic up something to cook. This time I took the larger Trangia 25 as it's quite windy, still took an age to cook, but at least the view was worth it.

Ride Coordinator

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #3399 on: July 27, 2023, 09:36:12 »
Given the bike a little once over last night and taken to work last few days in readiness for camping at Andy's gaff this weekend.

Packing is done... all the important things packed.

Ride Coordinator