Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 241372 times)

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #1360 on: April 11, 2020, 15:55:16 »
Some more dicking about with stuff that's really not needing looked at, but I was bored enough to. Removed a load of bolts from the KTM to checks thread corrosion and cleaned a few before a little grease then back in. Not needing to replace any with stainless as the originals aren't Japanese cheese, which is not helping my addiction. Although I did swap the bolts for the rear paddock stand bobbins as they weren't original.
I also reminded myself that carbide end mills and hand drills don't tend to be a good combination when I was making a drain hole in a garden swing seat thing. It didn't need the mill, but I was in the mood to make the hole neater than just drilling it...

Ii was able to punch the broken off bits out of the hole at least, so it wasn't all bad.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #1361 on: April 11, 2020, 21:31:29 »
Removed the lhs shock of the GSX14 to refill the hydraulic preload collar.

The rhs worked fine all the way to 5 rings showing. The left only went just past 1 ring.

Refilled with a bit of DOT4.

Lets see if it holds the fluid now or else it's a new set of twin shocks.

Ride Coordinator

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #1362 on: April 11, 2020, 21:51:21 »
I have a BMW F650GS used for commuting on dirty, wet, single lane shi*y roads in Devon. The rear caliper needed a good clean and rebuild so I bought a cheap used one off ebay and rebuilt it, intending to change them over then rebuild the original ready for next time.
Well, after a few cups of tea rebuilding the caliper, I went to fit it only to realise it is the wrong caliper. It seems to be off a F650CS. So, tomorrow I will be removing the new parts from the caliper, fitting the old, removing the caliper from my bike then rebuilding it. 

Oh! and I cleaned the Strom too.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Sage

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #1363 on: April 12, 2020, 21:23:01 »
Had a good hour or so around some local lanes

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
« Reply #1364 on: April 12, 2020, 21:54:36 »
Virtual camping meet - should have been at Strontian this weekend  :angry-banghead:

Steve T

:icon_razz:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #1365 on: April 13, 2020, 19:41:03 »
I was on annual leave last week and didn't touch the Bastard. I did machine polish both cars and replaced the rear parking sensors on my V70 though. Today being winter again I ventured into the garage, the only thing I could find to do was to clean inside the front sprocket cover.

I was enthralled for minutes.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s & SH300i
« Reply #1366 on: April 13, 2020, 19:49:47 »
I got both my bikes out the garage today  :lala:, started them up and let them run for 15mins or so, I then sighed heavily, turned them off and put them back again ...  :groan:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #1367 on: April 13, 2020, 20:10:16 »
That feeling hit me today. It's the first time I've had two consecutive days off since they turned the screws. At least I can ride to work, and spend a day at work, then ride home. No work + no riding would get me a bit fidgety, at the very least.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1368 on: April 13, 2020, 20:21:48 »
Fidgety you say. lol

To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s & SH300i
« Reply #1369 on: April 13, 2020, 20:28:06 »
It's been around 18 days since the last time I rode.
Like you, I ride every day so yes, I was very Fidgety and sooooo tempted to go for a spin ..  :dl_smiley_banghead:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #1370 on: April 13, 2020, 21:41:36 »
Stay at home, save lives, protect the NHS, and eat pies.
This is now the longest period I haven't ridden since I passed my CBT in 2006... whilst I'm getting withdrawal symptoms, I'm going to use the time to do maintenance I've been putting off due to not having enough time.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #1371 on: April 14, 2020, 05:18:30 »
Time.

That's it.

I can adjust the clock the this weekend. :lala:

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #1372 on: April 14, 2020, 06:31:46 »
Do me a favour - set it to August 23rd 1985, and talk me out of turning up at my wedding.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #1373 on: April 14, 2020, 08:00:47 »
I'd have been 6 weeks old  lol
:old:

There is an up side to all this.
The mrs has been stuck in the house with a 2 month old from a few week before the lockdown to be safe.
I've done a few bike maintenance things on my week off (first week of lockdown) and sort the garden for us to use while in lockdown.

But the situation has given me so much more time in the early months with my Daughter. So much of this time I'd have normally be in work and miss.

As soon as this lockdown is over the little one is getting handed over to one set of grandparents and we're going for a ride  :auto-dirtbike:

I never thought I be looking forward to a ride to work, but I can't even do that.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #1374 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:47 »
You'll never believe how long it been since I last rode my bikes. But that's my fault for being such a well known purveyor of terminological inexactitudes  :whistle:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #1375 on: April 20, 2020, 12:34:58 »
Busy weekend:

Pulled the rear undertray & lights out of the KTM and re-greased all the fixings as they are exposed to whatever crud gets picked up by the wheel.
Repainted the top triple clamp on the V50 where the socket had marked it tightening the top nut.
Sorted through my stainless fasteners and made use of an old parts drawer thingy for the excess that wouldn't fit in the boxes I mainly use.
Tidied up the bits of chipped paint on the Motolug and then applied grip tape up the length of it to help protect the channel, and provide some more grip, funnily enough...

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #1376 on: April 20, 2020, 12:54:06 »
@Mr Nick.  I do, truly, bow to your skill, knowledge and experience, but I find, when loading my SV onto the motolug, the bike sits cocked over to one side of the channel and it is then not easy to get the rear wheel in the middle of the channel  and the bike sitting upright. Adding extra grip tape might, I fear, make this even more difficult.
Have you ever found this to be a problem  and if so how do you deal with it?

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1377 on: April 20, 2020, 14:34:25 »
Thanks for the feedback Mr B.
I have to say I didn't have an issue with the bike leaning over or sitting squint when I used it last month, but the V50 is light enough that I can just push it around to where I want it. The problem I had that prompted the tape was unloading when it was a bit wet and the front wheel locking & sliding on the paint. I haven't gone beyond the second raised bit to where the seesaw clamp lives.

I'll see if it does adversely affect using it - I can always take it all off again if need be.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

« Reply #1378 on: April 20, 2020, 17:31:56 »
It only seems to affect the back wheel.Front wheel slipping when loading/ unloading must be avoided. Yes I've had that moment when the front didn't 'home in' over the ramp and it all came back for another shove. The front brake was really needed. So what you have done is all good.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1379 on: April 23, 2020, 22:59:48 »
I splashed out about £15 on a car tyre pressure monitoring system from Banggood a while back and never quite got around to doing anything with it until today. I have split the sensors between the 990 and V50 for now and will probably avail myself of another set later for the other 2. The setup has a solar or USB powered display and 4 sensors that replace the valve caps - the display will get stuck on a window and it's an easy way to see what's up before heading out without needing to get the gauge out. 

The right side of the 'car' is the 990, and the left is the V50. Pressures at a glance & no faffing.
As it also shows the temp, I'll be interested what they say after a run...

Orange Bikes Matter!