Author Topic: My DL650 story  (Read 8050 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
My DL650 story
« on: January 15, 2016, 20:22:47 »
In November 2014 a nice lady called Maggie signed into the site, informed us of the sad loss of her hubby (who was a member here) and was asking for advice for selling his DL650.  http://www.v-strom.co.UK/smf/index.php?topic=24819.msg243997#msg243997

I emailed Maggie and advised her to get some pictures up on the site ASAP, I also told her that (at that time) the Glee was starting to become available secondhand and that was likely to impact the value of the older model, so she should get it flogged ASAP.

That was over a year ago. I was searching for something in my Outlook inbox a couple of weeks ago and stumbled across the emails with Maggie so I dropped her a line to see how the sale had gone.

Bugger me the bike was still sitting on her driveway under a cover.  :shock: The brand new MOT she had paid for had expired and the bike hadn't moved  :bawl:

The fact that I went down and bought the bike is only half the story, I also want to mention the bike dealer Maggie used to Service, Valet  :shock: and MOT the bike. The dealer is Braggs of Surbiton, I have the Invoice here, they charged Maggie £368 to do a Service at 18,000 miles, no Valve check just fluid changes, usual check and oil Chain and apparently a Throttle Body check.

£264 was labour  :violence-smack:  £40 was for the Valet  :violence-smack: The MOT was extra  :roll: Plus parts, plus disposal charges for Oil and fluids  ###

I don't know if this dealer took advantage or whether they always charge like this, I can tell you the Chain was filthy, and behind the front sprocket cover was a mess (the bike hasn't done a single mile since that service).  I am in the process of draining all the fluids and doing everything she paid that dealer to do.

*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
Re: My DL650 story
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 21:19:19 »
Took advantage sounds like an understatement. What work do you think they carried out ?

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 21:34:56 »
The Oil looks new and so does the coolant (although that was low). Other than that, who knows  :shrug:

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 07:48:47 »
Tippets, the Honda dealer in Surbiton used to try similar tricks if you didn't stay on top of them. They take the **** of the unwary, no sense of helpfulness which I'm afraid can be common inside the M25. The good ones you always had to find by word of mouth and they were busy with regular customers.

I'd be looking for what they did do. Stuff they don't touch is no worse for it. The. Fact they can make big money doing nothing useful means what they do touch can be ****ed up. Tippets changed the VR on my CB100. It went from having lights " too dim to pass the MOT" to blowing bulbs. Having decided never to trust a dealer again and having learnt about such things, I suspect the 6V electrics were just ****, it would have passed a fair MOT had they started the engine and as part of their scam they'd fitted a wrong part to create further work.

Andy

Online Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 08:31:17 »
This naming and shaming can only be a good thing. These thieves make my blood boil.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:53:29 »
My local dealer's showroom and workshop share a glass wall so customers can stand and watch their bikes being worked on.
At the opposite end of the spectrum is when the workshop and the showroom is in different locations/ buildings/ streets. Two experiences of the latter have taught me to never (NEVER NEVER) have any dealings with such enterprises.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:10:47 »
When I had my M class Merc' serviced recently I returned home to find an email with a link to two video's. One showed the pre-service inspection and one to show the entire service (gripping viewing...). Nothing to hide as it's all on view and you could switch to a couple of different angles too. If only bike dealers did this, mind you most bike dealers don't charge £80 an hour... Although you do get really nice coffee !
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 13:41:08 »

Cotswold Motorad who do my Beemer video it and send you the link.

At their prices I'm glad they do.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 14:38:35 »
That is disgusting.
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Mick_P

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 14:48:30 »
I learned a long time ago to never trust a main dealer - with one exception - excessive charges, poor service, wrong diagnosis, wrong parts etc.

In my BMW days I had an R1200RT on which the output shaft oil seal went. Fortunately it was still under warranty (just) and it went to a dealer who shall remain nameless in Southport. While the shop staff were very good and I got a loaner with no problems, the mechanic fixing the bike was a complete tw*t. He decided to tell me off cos the bike was dirty, I wasn't wearing 'proper' riding trousers and had neglected the bike in his opinion. When I say tell off I actually mean he gave me a bollocking. After pointing out that the bike was used daily (and it was late autumn), what I wore was none of his business & the bike had a full service history he proceeded to throw me out of the workshop. When I complained about his attitude I was told that he was like that with everyone. I never went back there afterwards for anything & found out that a lot of others felt the same.
Blue AN400, Connie III
Proud Yorkshire/Welshman
Don't follow me, I'm usually lost.....
Caution, ABBA fan!

Offline ms666

• Bike: DL650 XT
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 15:24:55 »
I don't even know what to say. Good on you FR for taking care of it.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 15:36:14 »
Blimey FR, those bods give the average tosser a bad name...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 20:48:59 »
I grew up in Kingston, next to Surbiton, and had never heard of this firm so just Googled them and see they are a garden machinery place with a motorcycle service place attached. This poor lady was obviously stitched up at a very difficult time in her life and just goes to show the low lifes will always take advantage when they can.

Offline Andy M

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 08:11:21 »
Small world. I was at the Poly / University in Kingston.

Back then because you were in range of central London on a 50 or 125, bike mechanics were in short supply and anyone who could talk the talk could set up. I imagine it's got worse since the congestion charge.

The upside, as with many trades is that you get blokes with real skills coming in. The bloke who did my MZ was a Czech and really new his stuff. You have to find them though, which is close to impossible if you don't know what to ask.

Andy

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 13:29:31 »
A little more work today, remember, this bike hasn't moved, not one mile since the service.

Checking the Invoice, 'change Sparking Plugs and Air Filter'

Really?

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 13:32:52 »
Time to get that Lady some money back I think  :violence-smack:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 13:40:04 »
I haven't told her Martin, the last thing I want to do is add to her stress.

Offline Andy M

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 15:29:20 »
The 12 squllion bolts to get at the back plug annoyed me so no way is some  dodgy grease monkey going to do it unprompted.

The good news is you might still have a fairing that has all its plastic lugs and dot fasteners. Dodgy Dave would have been on cable ties to sort the ones he missed when he took the tank off with a crow bar.

Andy

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 15:50:02 »
A little more work today, remember, this bike hasn't moved, not one mile since the service.

Checking the Invoice, 'change Sparking Plugs and Air Filter'

Really?

Total disgrace.

I wonder if they are known by members and whether it's worth sending them a link to this thread?

I doubt they'll reimburse the lady but a public shaming looks certainly due. At least they could try to explain.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 15:53:12 »
How can you explain that away? Straight out lies are all you would get. The invoice proves it. Scoundrels the lot. They need a slap with a house brick.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...