Author Topic: DIY DRL's  (Read 9980 times)

Offline Rallymad

• Bike: DL650 xt De-Beaked
Re: DIY DRL's
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 20:21:40 »
Made these up yesterday used 15mm copper pipe I'd got lying around glued to same lights as joderest used then filled with silicone sealant adhesive then used cable cleats to fix to engine bars and bigpies aux fuse box supplying the power.

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 15:48:46 »
Steady green light is not illegal - I checked many times and no cops have stopped me over the last six months of use, but they certainly get me noticed.

Does anyone have a link to it written anywhere to legitimise this claim?

I have just looked into it as I'd like to fit some on mine but within 5 minutes found several regulations this seems to breach.  :bawl:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/2/made

SCHEDULE 2
PART I
Requirements relating to obligatory front position lamps and to optional front position lamps to the extent specified in part ii

5.  Markings
(b) A solo motor bicycle and a motor bicycle combination in either case first used on or after 1st April 1986:  An approval mark

7.  Colour: White or, if incorporated in a headlamp which is capable of emitting only a yellow light, yellow

Also see this - if true it would mean that fitting twin fog/flood lights is also illegal..

PART II
Requirements relating to optional front position lamps

2.  In the case of a solo motor bicycle first used on or after 1st April 1991 which is fitted with one obligatory front position lamp, not more than one additional lamp may be fitted which must comply with the requirement specified in paragraph 7 of Part I and shall be situated as close as possible to the obligatory front position lamp.

I know things have changed a lot with regards to vehicle lighting and not a lot of this stuff is being enforced anymore but I do think fitting anything other than white light to the front of your vehicle is asking for one-wanted attention.

Offline JesterRich

• Bike: Veek 1000 2014
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 16:54:20 »
Have put these strip of LEDs on handguards decided to put them on separate switch just in case boys in blue get the tape measure out. They don't emit enough light to ride in the dark but I certainly get seen when filtering, high up and width of bike, also because they bend around handguards then each led is facing slightly different to the next.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 18:23:10 »
Presuming the lighting regulations  for running lamps hasn't changed then a car can have steady lamps of any colour other than red to the front so long as they define the outline of the vehicle.I would presume this regulation would apply to motorcycles as well but haven't got any reference material any longer to check.
This is why your boy racers get pulled up for coloured lamps in their window washer jets but lorry drivers don't for a 'Blackpool Illuminations' across the top of their cab.
I have just fitted BikeVis bullet LED's to my accessory bars ( I would think could be said to define the outline of the bulk of the bike except handlebars) and put the BikeVis podmod in line so they sort of twinkle. This makes them much more visible than the steady LED lamp.
I'm hoping the Police would turn a blind eye to this as they are not exactly flashing, but neither a steady light, but have wired them into my BP aux fusebox so that they can be plugged in without the podmod if I meet PC Pedantic.
Have been on two rides since fitted and have had no vehicles pull out on me from junctions which would normally happen a couple of times so seem to be working. Highly  recommended.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 19:01:56 »
Presuming the lighting regulations  for running lamps hasn't changed then a car can have steady lamps of any colour other than red to the front so long as they define the outline of the vehicle.I would presume this regulation would apply to motorcycles as well but haven't got any reference material any longer to check.

If you look at the next page on the link I posted I think it covers that too.

2.  Running lamps fitted to satisfy regulation 18 shall be in the form of a matched pair of front lamps, each of which–

(a)is fitted in a position in which an obligatory front position lamp may lawfully be fitted, and

(b)is capable of emitting white light to the front having an intensity of not less than 200 candelas, measured from directly in front of the centre of the lamp in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and of not more than 800 candelas in any direction.

I'm not sure where this assumption that "any colour other than red is OK" comes from?
That's why I'd really like to see it written in an official document as the one I found seem to be quite specific in saying that only white lights are acceptable.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 20:43:42 »
I think that the lamps I am referring to must have been superseded as in the original 1989 regs they were refered  to as 'running lamps' a definition which now seems to be applied to 'daylight running lamps' which seem to be the super bright led's that modern cars now come with and have to be fitted in the area allowed  for obligatory side marker lamps.
When I was working with these regs 'running lamps could be fitted anywhere on the front or rear of the vehicle so long as they defined the outline of the vehicle and could only be red to the rear and any colour but red to the front.
I have checks the regs online today and could find no mention of the lamps I am referring to under optional lamps where they used to be listed so can only assume they have slipped through the net on an update to legislation.

Offline JesterRich

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 21:41:40 »
Looking at regs I also can't find a mention to regs regarding motorcycle auxiliary lights. I would say that so long as aux lights can be turned off and not blue 'retina' burning that cause distraction and blindness should be OK.

Offline kels

DIY DRL's
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2016, 09:03:19 »
Have put these strip of LEDs on handguards decided to put them on separate switch just in case boys in blue get the tape measure out. They don't emit enough light to ride in the dark but I certainly get seen when filtering, high up and width of bike, also because they bend around handguards then each led is facing slightly different to the next.

Those knuckle dusters make a great place to install DRLs!

I did mine a few months back, when I was riding more at night and they made a big difference. Especially down one particular road where oncoming vehicles would fail to give me enough space. Had no problems after installing the lights.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2016, 11:57:45 »
They look good Kels   :thumb: where did you get them from (link?)

Offline kels

DIY DRL's
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 13:40:32 »
Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks

They are 8 LED units from here,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271665325395

A little too long for just the middle section of he knuckle guards, so they some LEDs point slightly out and some slightly in, lighting up the side of the guards and hi lighting the front to the Strom.

The double sided tape they come with it not so great, and I suggest you use proper stuff!

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 14:13:45 »
So would you say the 6 LED version would fit the OEM hand guards better?

Just checked mine and they don't really lend themselves to this as they have no forward facing flat surface. :bawl:

Offline kels

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 15:40:03 »
Unnecessary quote removed

Difficult to say really! I bought a few types of DRL LEDs and settled on 8 LED bendable ones as they were the ones with the least current draw and coolest in operation. Tried 3xCOB ones too, which where the brightest but far too hot for the knuckle guards. I didn't want anything too bright, or blinding, so settled on those in the link above.

K

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 17:53:53 »
Yeah OK... but if you look at the link you can get the 6 LED version of those as well. That should mean no need to bend them to wrap them around the corners so to speak..
So I'm saying if you were to buy them again would you get the shorter ones?

Offline kels

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 18:00:48 »
Nah, I'd get the same again, as I wanted to light the whole front and sides of the guards.

Offline JesterRich

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 21:01:57 »
I put mine slightly higher as the angle of the flat on my handguards caused the light to aim too low so I used a strip of rubber to fill groove then used black adhesive to attach light strip. Here's a picture of the pre bonding (attached with rubber bands to adjust)