Author Topic: Is the XT 650 only a styling exercise?  (Read 10304 times)

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Is the XT 650 only a styling exercise?
« on: December 16, 2015, 03:53:08 »
I'm sure this must have been asked but have gone through 40 pages and can't find it.
Is the XT 650 just a styling exercise or does it ride differently to the std Glee?
If it's a better bike I will consider getting an XT but I prefer the look of the std model and the extra money saved would buy most of the extras I would want.
Thanks for any help and advice.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Is the XT 650 only a styling exercise?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:53:10 »
Spoked Wheels and a stupid beak. I think that's it.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:53:56 »
They're the same except for styling. The XT has spoked wheels which may be slightly more suitable to off-road riding (though with the type of off-road riding most owners do [if any] it probably doesn't make a difference).

If you prefer the look of the standard model then buy that one  :thumb:

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 13:04:51 »
The XT has four things the standard bike hasn't, none of which will improve the ride quality of the bike.

When I bought my standard model recently I decided to put two of them on my new bike (the crash bars & the bash plate) which cost me an extra £395. Didn't particularly like the look of the beak and didn't fancy trying to clean those spoked wheels although they do look good (imo)

Here's a photo showing the bars & plate fitted to my standard bike -

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 17:54:55 »
I priced up the difference between a spoked front wheel and the alloy one. Just out of curiosity... All prices excl vat.

Alloy wheel - £406

Spoked wheel (not available as a unit so has to be built up) - £925. The rim alone if more expensive than the alloy (£444). Add in £8 a spoke & nipple :shrug:

Even the 21" front on my KTM is only £428 as a built unit!!!  :crazy:

Moral: buy alloy, replace if needed & be better off....  :thumb:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Tigerjohn

• Bike: '17 DL650, CB500X, CB500F, R1200R, RE Scram
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 18:27:25 »
Essentially, it's a styling difference, but..... For the extra £600, you get the same bike plus handguards, quality bash plate, engine protection bars, spoked wheels and beak. The spoked wheels allegedly provide a better/stronger offroad ride, the beak allegedly improves airflow to the radiator, the other extras are undoubtedly useful additions. Most riders won't take the bike into serious offroad territory, so it's really about style and optional extras that you might want to add later. I thought the extras were worth having and I liked the spoked wheels (and even the beak!). The extra £600 was worth it for me, so I went for the XT. They'll be plenty of others here who would prefer to keep their £600, I'm sure! Either way, you'll have a fantastic bike.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 19:43:38 »
The deal on my std Glee was 1€ more for engine cowl, handguards and a natty Suzuki tank bag. I don't know if such an offer still exists but I'd rather have that than those spokes to clean!

As for the beak............ :icon_no:

:grin:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline petestrom

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 19:55:14 »
Having had 2 Yamaha Super Tenere's with the same make wheels, I think for the Glee I'd stick to the Standard cast alloy wheels and add the necessities with the money saved.  The wire spokes are a problem to keep looking nice and clean.
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 20:04:33 »
I believe spoked wheels are supposed to have a little flex & less likely to be damaged by rough terrain, it would be interesting to see if they improve ride quality over potholes etc but I doubt it.

I hate cleaning spoked wheels, don't like beaks & don't like spending money so it would be a no brainer but fortynately, we are all different :)

Offline macamx

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 08:05:07 »
The rim flange where the spokes attach will be a pain to clean and unless you are hooked on the aesthetics the  benefits to the average punter (I.e. you and me) will be non existant. More concerning for me is that the "bash plate" negates the fitting of a centre stand which for the average user is pretty important.

Geoff.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 11:04:03 »
:beak:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline mrp192

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 11:32:20 »
Thank you everyone. As an ex MX'er I find the off road look attractive but there is no off roading in my future due to an injured back so academic really.
Test ride day tomorrow, along with several other bikes, on an XT version but if it turns out to be the bike for me I think I'll go for the std bike and spend the extra on luggage etc..
Thanks again, hope it stays dry for tomorrow in Cambs....

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 12:26:10 »
More concerning for me is that the "bash plate" negates the fitting of a centre stand which for the average user is pretty important.

Geoff.

Centre stand fits fine with original (sw motech) bash plate
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline macamx

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 17:40:53 »
Centre stand fits fine with original (sw motech) bash plate

I stand corrected.

Geoff.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 19:28:57 »
I've just watched Visor Down review of the 650 XT and although it comes out as a pleasing do most daily work bike it still looks like a 'rubber duck'..........;   :whistle:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 20:12:58 »

don't forget spoked wheels need regular attention-especially when bedding in from new or off-roading

Suzuki may have increased the service time of XTs to allow for this.....

Its an  easy enough job if you can get the bike off the ground though. They should all make the same note when tapped.

If not start spannering.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 21:00:32 »
It is good that Suzuki are giving people a choice in preference for the beak/non-beak version though. They just need to do a non-beaked Veek (maybe with the rumoured engine upgrade...)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 10:38:17 »
IMHO all things these days end up as style exercises.
The "designers" role is to create variants of a motorcycle that will appeal to those not content with the base model. Sometimes a "package" of extras can be less expensive than adding them on later.
It is not uncommon for the beauty in the eye of the beholder to completely overwhelm  all other senses ( including common sense) Cars, Houses, Partners, Clothes etc. and not just motorcycles.
All businesses must understand their target customer base. Motorcycle manufacturers are no exception. I would argue that while "road tests" can indicate what not to buy, the motivation for interest in the product starts with the "look".  How many times have we read comments suggesting a bike is ugly?  Versys 1000!
Fashion inflicts a great deal of tosh on Motorcycles just as much as any other products. Take a look at the average front mudguard. Quite hopeless at keep crud of the front of your bike. However if they fitted an effective guard it would look "odd" . Ditto rear huggers which are getting smaller and less effective so that I had to fit a "hugger extender" as well as a mudguard extender to my SX.
As I wrote previously I would like a fully enclosed chain case but to most that is unacceptable because "racers" don't use them. So the poor old chain has to operate in the rain, the road grit and winter salt and still needs changing every 15 to 20 thousand miles ( DID say at 15 thousand Km).

This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Brucey

• Bike: 2013 V-strom 650 (Voyager pack), 1971 Honda C90.
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 20:17:36 »
What were the other bikes you were considering, and what was the verdict after the test-ride MRP192?

Offline mrp192

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2015, 00:23:09 »
Today I rode an XT VStrom, Tiger 800 XRX, Yamaha Tracer, Versys 650, BMW F800 GT and a Honda NC750X DCT.
My favourite was the Tiger followed very closely by the VStrom. I now have a dilemma of heart saying pay the extra 3k and get the Triumph and my head going 'don 't be a twat, get the Suzuki' and buy loads of other stuff!
Of the others the Tracer I didn't gel with at all, can't see why it's on such a pedestal but the heated grips were fantastic! The BMW I really wanted to like as it looked so nice but had a really heavy clutch and had to dance on the gear-lever to keep it going. The Kawasaki I liked but was like taking an over excited puppy for a walk as opposed to the well trained VStrom slightly more sedate older dog. The Versys screen was the best though in full up position. The Honda was the surprise. I didn't think I would like the auto box and the demo bike had the optional foot change lever fitted as well as the left bar buttons. It worked fine in full auto, made a lot of sense for the short rev range available, and I couldn't get on with the semi auto setting with either the foot change or buttons. However if I was looking for a commuter it would have been great but as a leisure bike for day runs it would have been limited.
Not sure which way I'm going to go but will have to decide pronto to take advantage of some great prices on the VStrom at the moment if the Suzuki wins my order...