Author Topic: Drive chain link  (Read 5860 times)

Offline ripsi

• Bike: 650AL2
Drive chain link
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:22:35 »
Hello.
Just changed my chain and sprockets on my al2. Didn't quite get the rivet link right (went wrong) so used the slide plate link instead. Question to you all. Would you leave the slide on / clip on link or get another rivet link and try again?
Simon
Stock DL650 AL2 (orange / foxy colour)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
Re: Drive chain link
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 09:31:12 »
I'd be down the dealer buying another link and getting on Ebay and buying a chain riveter

I would not use a clip link for other than in emergency to "get home".

I rode throughout the 60s and 70s with split links and never had a problem but those bikes were slugs compared to modern machines.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:39:24 »
+1 for what Brocket said.

Anything more than 350cc and I'd only use a rivet link.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 13:56:50 »
As already said, change it for a rivet link but keep the clip link under the seat just in case

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 14:35:42 »
Last time I changed a chain was on my BSA B31 in the days you would boil the chain in a can of grease on the hob. Used removable links in them days!

I would never have bought my Vstrom or Tiger if I had noticed they didn't have shaft drive. Silly me :xmasgrin:
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 15:12:47 »
If you havnt got one already buy a riviter. You'll  find friends you never knew you had. :)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 16:15:46 »
Everyone should buy a Honda CX500.

30 years ago they had V-Twin engines with shaft drive... just get the CCT looked at.  lol

I use the Riveting tool to press the plate on, then get out my little ball hammer to flatten out the head of the pin.
I've become quite adept at it. 

changing a C&S set takes me no more than an hour now.

Ride Coordinator

Offline ripsi

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 17:36:23 »
Thanks blokes.
Replacement rivet link ordered. I have a rivet tool / chain breaker. Just need to not push the pins through the back plate!  . I shall be riding cautiously till rivetted then lol. Thanks again

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 19:28:55 »
If you can then fit a properly riveted chain. However there isn't a lot of info about the suitabilty of a loose link as a lot has changed over the last few decades.

Like a lot of you I had the fun of boiling my chain in a tub of waxy subtance back in the 70's. Bikes were less powerful, you could argue, but a two stroke 500 or 750 put an awful lot of stress on a chain in the power band. Today's bikes are more even in power distribution. Technology has introduced O,X ring type so it's now fairly unlikely to make a loose link joint to match the precision/perfomance of a modern item.

What has been evident is that if you had to do it yourself, like I did on a Yamaha 600 once, you have to remove the swing arm to fit a 'complete' chain. No bad reason to grease the swing arm anyway but a potential money maker for the manufacturer..... :GRR:

OK, it's easier to have the chain riveted on the bike but I've been a bit cautious about that in terms of quality of fixing anyway. Might it fail if not done correctly or if done badly might it be too tight and cause premature wear?

I suppose the 'book' solution is the best...........; :whistle:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline paulb0785

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:07:27 »
I've been riding for 20 years, only used a clip link once , and it failed on me.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 16:43:50 »
I love the smell of Linklyfe in the morning....not.
Bloody foul stuff. Had only one chain ever snap, CG125. Lack of maintenance. Mea culpa. Never ever had a split link fail, that includes years of using miles of it in textile machines, sometimes running in reverse as well.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 10:02:18 »
Linklye did stink, my parents would always know if I'd "borrowed" the cooker while they were out  :whistle: funnily enough I found my old tin of the stuff while clearing a shed at my moms house recently, used to have 2 chains in those days, one on the bike and the other cleaned & lubed ready to go on.

We also use a lot of chains at work, mainly driving conveyors where the chain is the deliberate "weak link" to prevent expensive damage, it's usually one of the fixed links that fail not the split link.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 13:19:50 »
Linklyfe was the stuff.. Made a nasty mess of my mum's stove with it more than once and it could catch fire like a chip pan if you left it and went off for a beer. I don't ever recall a spring link failing if fitted properly and early Hondas all used spring links in their cam chains as well and I also don't recall them ever failing. I just think we've got so used to using riveted links that the idea of a little spring clip holding the joining link together can be a bit one-nerving. The first bike that did away with a linked chain was either the Honda CB750 in 1969 or the Kawasaki Z1. Replacement chains were in one piece I.e. no link at all and the swinging arm had to come out to fit a new chain. A lot of faffing about and costly even then.  However there is no reason why a spring link made to the same spec. as a riveted one would be any weaker or more likely to break.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 13:53:06 »
There are two types of clip closing master links. One allows the side plate to be slipped on and the other has a tighter fit that must be squeezed on. The former can allow the fixed plate on the other side to flex a slight amount. Over time and use, that can cause metal fatigue and cracking. It's an extremely rare problem though. The type that needs to be squeezed on with pliers or a chain tool  is less likely to fail but needs a tool to be removed and should not be reused.

I would not use a slip on master link myself as a broken chain can hole an engine case or lock up the rear wheel. I don't care how unlikely that is. It still isn't a risk worth taking for me. I would consider the squeeze on type along with a bit of stickum on the clip if I was too cheap or fumble fingered to use a proper chain tool. I haven't seen the different types advertised or otherwise differentiated and the only way I know both types exist is from having had both types on chains bought for a dual purpose bike I used to own.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 17:49:58 »
As has been said, good move to get the soft link instead of the clip-type. Greenlane riders tend to dislike clips, as they can be weaker. more vulnerable. A tiny bit wider, too, so can wear on bolts and chain sliders. At least that's the theory some hold to.  :shrug:
Like greywolf says, it's too vital a component to mess aboot with!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline ripsi

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 14:32:57 »
 :violence-smack:
New rivet link, failed to engage brain, messed up second link ! give up. I have an issue and I acknowledge failure, I'm getting it done in a shop somewhere local, sod the cost !! Had enough  :dl_smiley_banghead:

Thanks for the input though

Happy Christmas  :xmas: :humbug:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 18:00:13 »
That's a shame. It's not the sort of job that is done often enough to learn and build up the skill. Maybe your riveting tool wasn't up to the job.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 18:25:42 »
I did over 10k including 2 track days on my previous Strom on a clip link.I fluffed up the rivet link and tool so bought one to tide me over and never got round to riveting it.

Offline ripsi

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 12:18:17 »
 :lala: DID IT !!!

Took my time and didn't rush it.

Also didn't take my "Stupid Pill" that morning !!  :dl_hyperhysteria:

Yeah its definitely a skill that would be so much easier if done more often, managed to swage the rivet out from 4.8mm to 5.75 which I think is a bit much I think it should have only gone to 5.5mm but she isn't coming off, so much nicer riding at pace rather than pootling about, consumption is dropping though but all good.

Point of note is to always use the anvil, mind I put a small bolt in the end of the yoke to brace the pin against while rivetting

Thanks for all the input fellas

Simon

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 14:43:20 »
Well done!!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...