Author Topic: ECU warranty replacement  (Read 86567 times)

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: ECU warranty replacement
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2016, 11:06:40 »
Think I will leave the typo error, as it might raise a laugh, I was not going off subject there.  :eusa-doh:

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2016, 13:19:07 »
For those of you with issues please keep the pressure on to Suzuki, get it sorted before the warranty runs out. The more that they get away with now, the more difficult it will be for future complainants.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline wurzel

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2016, 17:14:54 »
I have today called Suzuki gb, manly regarding the earth point, and cable connectors under the tank,  corosion issues, and the cable that fray's on the tank underside, oh, and my select button.

They are not issuing a recall in the uk, and say the parts are different in countries where a recall is issued, in fact the say the aus bike is a completely different bike!

The attitude is, if it goes wrong in warranty they will fix it, if not a known failure waiting to happen will not be put right, so my advice is to do it ourselves asap to prevent the corrosion in the first place.

That is in my mind not satisfactory from Suzuki uk.

As I say, I love the bike, and will spend my own time and resources preventing these issues, so it is a diy bike in my mind, the airfix Veek!

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2016, 18:06:31 »
..The attitude is, if it goes wrong in warranty they will fix it, if not a known failure waiting to happen will not be put right..
I think they'd have a tough time in court on that one if there was prior evidence that a fault was likely to be present, particularly if it is safety-related.

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2016, 18:52:50 »
I've just picked mine up from the dealers post ecm change, whilst I was there the service chap wanted to show me something on the Suzuki  dealers website, unfortunately the system crashed but he was adamant that he saw a recall for the DL1000  ecu replacement issued  just today!  He said they'd  checked my wiring harness and were impressed by the bits of old inner tube I'd strategically placed.
   Couldn't say the bike performance seemed  hugely improved on the short ride home,  though I was taking it v easy on the dark icy country roads, did seem to hold on to a higher gear climbing back up through my village.

Offline Kevinc

• Bike: VStrom DL1000 Adventure, Royal Enfield 500 Bullet
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:22 »
Relevant11 - Hi Mark, I have just spoken to the same dealer as you about the electrical connector recall, and ECU issue. Have you had a chance to see what difference the new ECU makes?

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2016, 22:03:50 »
I've had a couple of decent runs post ecu replacement, it will definitely pull better in high gears/ low speed. I didn't suffer much from low speed snatching before anyway.
  I fitted an xtre  before the new ecu , it doesn't seem to make half the difference post mod.
  I hope that helps!
    I found Martin to be super helpful at the dealers.

Offline corkyballs

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2016, 19:49:05 »
Had my ECU changed today by B & B in Lincoln without any fuss at the same time as having the wiring harness/connector recall sorted out.

Great service from B & B and have to say the bike (March 2014) is a completely different animal. Non of the snatch that was present before and a hence lot easier/more comfortable to ride in traffic.

I did notice a reduction in engine braking which I guess is a byproduct of not having the bike running super lean when the throttles closed.

All in all I'm a very happy bunny :-) - off work tomorrow so off to the Peak District for breakfast me thinks :-)

Offline SuMo

• Bike: 2014 DL1000A4
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:20 »
I have today called Suzuki GB, manly regarding the earth point, and cable connectors under the tank, corrosion issues, and the cable that fray's on the tank underside, oh, and my select button.
They are not issuing a recall in the UK, and say the parts are different in countries where a recall is issued, in fact the say the AUS bike is a completely different bike!...
Wurzel, I'm pretty sure the recall will reach you too. Here in the USA we received the attached letter at the end of January listing the defects you pointed out. In Germany these issues have been recalled too.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:38 »
Thank you SuMo, my dealer sorted the potential issues, a recal was issued just days after my call with the uk division, so must have been in the pipeline, I was a little put out at the time with Suzuki uk telling me it was a completely different bike from the ones provided to aus and the us, and had no problems...someone there did not have their facts right... :) 

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2016, 08:19:41 »
They were just fobbing you off. Suzuki UK told me that I shouldn't increase the service intervals of my 2012 Glee in line with the 2015 as the latter may have had internal updates. When I queried what the updates might be, they claimed the factory doesn't tell them technical updates...

I am glad these issues are being resolved as I bet the various reports on here of them have put people off buying.

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2016, 20:39:29 »
RECALL UPDATE ON MY DESERT.
Had my bike returned to me from Thunderroad and this is what they did:
Harness set, DL1000A L4/L5/L6
Switch assy, handle RH
Switch, handle DL1000A/L4
Harness, wiring NO.2 DL1000AL4
Bolt (8x20)

Recall R16/02 POT2
Replaced LH/RH Switchgears/sub loom

Advisory notes:
Left hand and right hand switch gears replaced
Also sub harness from main loom to instrument panel

Recall 16/02 main loom harness and ignition loom replaced.

Lets hope that is the end of it as I am back on it from Monday onwards and have 13250 miles planned for this year.
Thank heavens I bought my bike from Thunderroad, thoroughly professional dealer in every respect I can't recommend them enough. I will update this forum when I have covered a couple of thousand miles in the meantime all you DL1000 owners out there get your bikes sorted.  :old:

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2016, 20:53:11 »
that's some thorough warranty work, nice one and great service by the read of it. Ride Safe and enjoy  :)  :thumb:

Offline Kimbles

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 1000 in red
« Reply #93 on: February 29, 2016, 07:56:19 »
Taking mine his morning to Padgetts Batley for the warranty work doing I said about the ECU but they weren't interested so will try again face to face but doubt they will bite the hook ????

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #94 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:38 »
Good luck with Padgetts. I asked them to check the rear shock linkage as part of the service but they only did it when I collected the bike and asked them if it was OK.  And by check, he got two spanners and tried to tighten it and said it was fine (though that's not what I asked him to look at)

Offline Kimbles

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 1000 in red
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:44 »
They aren't interested at all said can only do what Suzuki tell them as a recall so I won't be getting mine done even showed them this thread still not interested so hopefully it's recalled before warranty runs out in December this year  :shrug:

Offline porter

« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2016, 10:57:20 »
Kimbles my dealer was the same but he did aay a letter to Suzuki might help. So that's what I did, wrote to Suzuki after sales manager and said I thought the bike was  a danger as could stall at anytime and could result in a crash,  after a few checks, ie throttle body balance, I'd a new ecu in a week. So bypass the dealer and write to Suzuki uk

Online UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2016, 18:32:55 »
+1 and while you're at it go to Appleyards in Keighley or York Suzuki to get the work done. I'm a firm believer of going where you get good customer service. Appleyards sorted out a warranty issue with Suzuki for me even though Suzuki were being donkeys about it. I've also found York Suzuki to be very good too.

Offline porter

« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2016, 19:52:56 »
In my case the girl from Suzuki phoned me back and asked for me to book bike into my dealers r she could book it for me and if I wanted another dealer that was fine. So if your dealer is draggin their feet take it to another.

Offline Ratt

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2016, 10:35:00 »
 :groan:
Hi all, I received a recall letter last week as well, frankly I'm not a happy bunny at all. on reading all the technical design that went into the bike etc. to find that an "adventure bike" hasn't been waterproofed etc is not on. I did say to my dealer that there are significant issues and was told "that all bikes have " teething troubles" visiting twice. I then wrote politely to Suzuki UK and was fobbed off. At this point for the first time in years I went on a bike holiday Northern Spain with a group of mates, not wanting to be stuck, or worse I removed the tank and waterproofed as best I could using advice from this site I remember that a connection on the left of the air box was almost impossible to reach so ACF50 had to do. Now a recall!! does everyone realise that second hand they have dropped like a stone. I will pursue the issue and confirm the ECU exchange. I guarantee that the press will be involved as frankly Suzuki should take the financial hit not their(never again) customers. Let you know the result. Ratt :dl_smiley_banghead: