Author Topic: ECU warranty replacement  (Read 86586 times)

Offline romeo one

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: ECU warranty replacement
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2016, 19:51:03 »
Asked if I could have the 002 ECU when I take it in for the electrical recall and they changed it no problem but in a mix up could not do the elec recall the same day so have to take it back down for that, rode the bike back home and there is a noticeable difference in throttle response in first and second, so I`m a happy bunny.
Good old Thunder road Bridgend.

Offline Billabong

« Reply #241 on: October 01, 2016, 19:52:02 »
I phoned a local dealer who said mine is on the list for an ECU change but that they have to submit a report to Suzuki Technical for approval first. Fingers crossed...

Offline bigusdickus

« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2016, 13:56:27 »
Just had my ECU changed by Saltire Suzuki in Edinburgh. My old ECU was not playing up and the bike was running great, but I got it changed as a precaution. The change in the performance is very noticeable in the lower gears. You can sit in a 30 zone in 4th no problem. with the old ECU this was only possible in 3rd. The bike has better torque in second and third gears. The bike seems to rev a lot more freely than before. Just done over 100 miles going home "The long way home" and I am very impressed. :lala:

Offline Jez

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2016, 10:05:42 »
I was/am interested in moving up from a glee to a Veek after doing a few thousand miles on motorways getting to where I want to be (I.e. France, Scotland) and could do with the extra power. Don't think a new Veek is worth the money but there are a few 18 month to 2 year old Veeks with low mileage that are. (perhaps due to the ECU issue). Having read this thread though I'm now v concerned and may look for something else. So if I understand this thread correctly if a Veek is still under warranty(I.e. 2 years) the ECU can be replaced with a complaint. If I purchased one just out of warranty or near about does that mean Suzuki would refuse to replace the ECU or would they still consider replacing it?

Offline trotts

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2016, 11:06:12 »
Good question Jez!

From around end of 2015 they all have the decent ECU's anyway, older ones do not.  Many owners, who do not look here on these forums,  are oblivious of the issues and put it down to a 'V twin' and that's what they are like.   If you find one which does not have the updated ECU either walk away or get it changed before a deal is concluded. That would be my advice to any prospective owner.

Do not be put off.  I recently did 2000 miles around Spain and loved it. There is another thread as well running about would you recommend one to a friend or similar. Some informed comments on that as well
2016 V Strom DL1000 A4. Heed  protection Bars, Sargent Seat, Scotoiler, Power Commander Fuel Controller, Delkevic 320mm Tri Oval and Decat, Givi Air Flow screen, Givi Tank Bag, Shad Top case, Suzuki Panniers, Centre stand, hand guards.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #245 on: October 08, 2016, 20:19:30 »
Or use you knowledge for an automatic £500 off price, if that covers cost of replacement and if they are available.

Offline Billabong

« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2016, 11:55:40 »
Jez - if you buy one within warranty and it has the original ECU you can phone Suzuki customer care with the registration number and they'll tell you if that bike is on the list that qualifies for an ECU change  :thumb:

Offline Jez

« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2016, 14:00:40 »
Just called Suzuki Customer Services new number 0808 501 1959. Spoke to a very nice lady who informed me that any work out of warranty would not normally be considered. However, she informed me that Suzuki are now fully aware of ECM Unit issues on certain DL1000 AL4 and AL5 models and have a list of AL4's and 5's that would be considered for a new ECM unit even if now out of warranty. I then asked so if I were to purchase a two year old DL1000 which was now out of warranty could I check the list before the purchase? She said no problem if it was on the list then they would inform a local dealer to change the ECM unit. Result! :lala:
Any one want to buy a 14 plate 650?

Offline snapper1000

• Bike: vstrom 1000 2015
« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2016, 17:47:27 »
Just had my replacement ECU fitted to my 15plate (14 build ).
Vstrom1000.
Much better idle from cold , now revs to 2000rpm( which is how you know it's the latest 002 Ecu)
Much smoother acceleration, particularly in 2nd/3rd gear.
No stalling at junctions
As yet no cough through air box.
And can see exhaust valve operating when bliping throttle off the bike.
( definitely wasn't working before )
So thanks for all other contributors to this thread.
GET YOURS done before it's too late .

Offline Jez

« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2016, 16:54:04 »
Snapper, just as a matter of interest, which garage did you take it to? 

Offline snapper1000

• Bike: vstrom 1000 2015
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2016, 13:40:39 »
Sorry for delay Jez, been away.
Even though live in Cheshire decided to use
Streetbike in Dudley, WestMidlands. (Chris Garland)
0121 506 6800

Their name cropped up by other members in thus discussion.
Excellent service and replaced it while I waited and got free breakfast in their in showroom cafe!!
They need your Reg and chassis number before they speak to Suzuki warranty dept.
Was going to use Road and Racing in Hyde..but were a bit slow at calling back. Would have used them, but already booked in with Sreetbike.
Really does run a lot sweeter now

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
« Reply #251 on: October 19, 2016, 19:32:01 »
The service there is superb. I have my bikes major services done by them. My wee is like a new bike again when they work on it. Even had my 2016 Veek from them.

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2016, 19:13:17 »
Had my ECU changed yesterday, bike is more responsive and runs better at lower revs in traffic  :thumb:

Offline veeferme

« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2016, 14:07:06 »
Ecu done today along with a 12 month service and wiring recall.
Mid range is def improved more response on overtakes :thumb:

Offline sapper

• Bike: 2014 dl1000
« Reply #254 on: November 15, 2016, 11:29:23 »
Had the ECU replaced this morning,bike seems to be running smoother especially at low speed,...that's the wiring loom replaced,throttle bodies replaced,now a replacement ECU,what could possibly go wrong now!!!!!

Offline L3nny

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2017, 11:59:51 »
I've been trying to keep up with this thread but it's getting a bit long and I don't have time to read all of it.

I have spoken to Suzuki customer services who kind of hinted at a replacement ECU but said I will have to speak to my dealer. I have contacted 2 dealers and they deny all knowledge. Funnily enough these are the two closest dealers to Suzuki HQ here in Milton Keynes.

I am very surprised at the way Suzuki have handled this. If there is a problem why not just recall all bikes?

Offline Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #256 on: January 14, 2017, 07:42:50 »
Suzuki published the ECU info on their service portal ages ago. The dealers weren't notified and will deny all knowledge if they haven't seen it. They tend not to like customers, who know nothing, telling them what needs to be done.

I spoke to someone at Suzuki without much luck until I mentioned someone there who knew what was going on. They put me through to my dealer and a week or so later I had a new ECU fitted. Bikersworld at Daventry did the work.

Offline L3nny

• Bike: 2015 DL1000
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2017, 19:26:02 »
It would be good if there was a stickied post on here with a list of all the work people have had done via a recall as the dealers don't seem to have a clue

Offline Loz

• Bike: DL1000 & Beta300rr
« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2017, 20:06:14 »
When I had no luck with my dealer Suzuki, the nice lady at Suzuki said all dealers had been sent a memo in ref to the ECU replacement, I guess my dealer does not read his  :dl_smiley_banghead:
After much denial from my dealer I asked Customer services if they would ring dealer as I was being fobbed off by them, CS lady said she would do this for me  :thumb: 5 minutes later the dealer calls me to say I am approved for an ECU change  :happydance:

Maybe I'm a sceptic, but if anyone else has problems getting an ECU change from their dealer give Suzuki customer care a ring on 0500 011 959 and ask them to ring your dealer to sort the issue.

Also worth saying to CS at Suzuki that you have looked at your ECU and know it is an 000 version and that it has often caused you to stall the bike, which results in you nearly dropping your bike and you are worried that if it stalls at the wrong moment it could result in you having an accident. Mention this forum and thread, they are aware of it.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2017, 22:49:38 »
Nice one, that's a helpful post Loz

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk