Author Topic: Should the handlebars wobble when riding hands-free?  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
Should the handlebars wobble when riding hands-free?
« on: September 15, 2015, 13:08:58 »
A bit of a novice question this, but I couldn't find a definitive answer elsewhere, so I thought that I'd come right out and ask the experts  :) .

On my 2012 DL650 and the BMW R80RT that I had before it, if I took both hands off the handlebars (at speeds of about 20mph and above, sitting upright), the handlebars would begin to wobble from side to side with ever increasing severity (until I would have to hold them again to bring it under control). In normal riding circumstances (I.e. with both hands resting on the grips) there is no sign of any front wheel wobble.

My question is, simply, is this normal on a modern V-Strom  :shrug:  ?

And no, I don't mean is riding with no hands on the bars normal  :grin: , I mean is it normal for the front end of an adventure/touring motorcycle to wobble when all the weight is centred nearer to the rear of the bike and (in my case) there is a top box fitted, too? In fairness, I think that the V-Strom wobbled even before I fitted the top box.

However dangerous it may be  :shy: , I would sometimes like to briefly take both hands off the bars to pull my gloves on tighter or stretch my arms above my head to relieve shoulder ache, when on a quieter stretch of road. Because of the front-end wobble though, I am reluctant to even try this.

So, should I be concerned about the set up of the bike and be looking to have wheels re-balanced, tyres replaced, suspension/steering components checked etc., or is this simply 'one of those things that happens when you don't use a bike in the way it was intended to be used'? What are your experiences with doing this on your bikes  :shrug:  ?

All input welcome  :) !

ProfG

Re: Should the handlebars wobble when riding hands-free?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 13:13:32 »
There was no wobble on the Bandit and the Triumph Sprint ST that I had. I felt the wobble on Yamaha XJR1300 when I had a top box on so I assumed it was due to the bike being rear heavy, similar to riding on a bicycle with a pillion. Not tied it on the Vee though as I always have a top box on it.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 13:39:22 »
It shouldn't wobble under normal conditions but some tyre brands do wobble. Metzeler Tourance and Continental Road/Trail Attack front tyres are often reported to be wobblers for example. Any brand of worn front tyre can also cause a wobble. Another cause of wobble is too loose steering head bearings.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 15:23:21 »
Don't quote me on this but I had exactly that scenario with my bike and I'm sure it stopped when I changed tyres.

My brand new 2013 Glee on Bridgestone Trailwings would do exactly what you've described but stopped after I'd changed the tyres to Anakee 3's. Coincidence or what ?? I don't know.

A fortnight ago I traded that bike for a new 2015 Glee and guess what.... I'm back on bloody Trailwings again. Next time I'm out I'll see if that 'wobble' is there again. If so it'll be having new Michelins fitted pretty quickly as I also found it annoying you couldn't have a second or two no handed.

Tyre pressures were 42r 36f

Offline iansoady

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 15:48:00 »
Many many years ago it was well known that Norton Commandos wobbled (well actually not all of them did if the Isolastics were properly adjusted). But some factors that made it worse were top boxes and lightweight riders. The theory was that this put the CoG  and centre of pressure too far back as well as the top box acting like a sail.

It can also happen if the rear tyre is flatted off in the centre.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 15:59:51 »
Try doing the same without a top box ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 16:04:07 »
Quote from: "S2Rgar"
Don't quote me on this but I had exactly that scenario with my bike and I'm sure it stopped when I changed tyres.

My brand new 2013 Glee on Bridgestone Trailwings would do exactly what you've described but stopped after I'd changed the tyres to Anakee 3's. Coincidence or what ?? I don't know.

A fortnight ago I traded that bike for a new 2015 Glee and guess what.... I'm back on bloody Trailwings again. Next time I'm out I'll see if that 'wobble' is there again. If so it'll be having new Michelins fitted pretty quickly as I also found it annoying you couldn't have a second or two no handed.

Tyre pressures were 42r 36f

Yes, I too am on Trailwings that have done 4k - usually at 40r and 34f. I'd be really interested to hear if you have the old problem back again  :) .

My tyres have got a long way to go before they're ready to be changed, but I'll keep your comments in mind, thanks.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 16:04:32 »
Quote from: "kwackboy"

I had this problem a while back and removed the top box as suggested by a friend .... The wobble disappeared  :)
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 16:06:45 »
Quote from: "kwackboy"

Yes, I'll do that the next time that I get the chance. From memory, it still did it before I got the top box, but it went away if I leaned far enough forward on the bike (although that's not much help if you're trying to stretch your arms above your head  :grin: ).

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 08:56:19 »
Wasn't a you tube video posted on here some time ago about speed wobble? From memory it was an old (1970's film) but showed the result of weight (rider) and top box fitted.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline zimcruza

• Bike: 2016 Veek
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 18:27:10 »
My 2013 650 does exactly the same. Dealers said it was normal behaviour!!  I reckon tyres so will be getting rid of the Bridgestone offering shortly for pretty much anything else :)

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 18:39:17 »
My 2013 650 doesn't. It's fitted with Michelin PR4's  :)  

I would like to try one of those gizmos that latch the throttle open  :shrug:
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 18:52:56 »
Whenever it's happened to me (outside of the particular circumstance below) a new front tyre has cured it. From this experience I have to conclude that it's the tyre, worn, or maybe shite, I had this on a GSXF with an unworn old Maxxis ST tyre on, I put a different tyre on it, cured.

*Sometimes, on deceleration, down a hill with weight on the rear it can start a wobble, it's a weight transfer thing then I think.

As long as it doesn't hint at it when the bars are gripped lightly it's not a problem.

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 21:07:07 »
Thanks a lot for all of your replies  :) .

It seems that handlebar wobble is a bit like wind turbulence - something of a 'black art' to cure  :grin: !

Anyway, I took the bike out today without its usual top box fitted and I have to say that the bar wobble was far less noticeable, although it still did it a bit when removing my hands a 50-60mph. I think that it may be partly down to aerodynamics and that the (standard, 'barn door') mirrors may be playing a part  :shrug: . They certainly seem to be contributing to the turbulence I'm experiencing.

Actually, today was my first ride with the new Givi Airflow (AF3101) screen fitted and I have to say, that made a hugely positive difference to the way that the air flows over the bike. At 6' 4", I couldn't find any safe place behind the standard screen and was getting bad headaches after long motorway rides  :bawl: . The Airflow screen has made things a lot smoother and quieter, but I am still getting some rough air coming at me from the sides of the mirrors, so the famous Aprillia mirror mod is probably going to follow  :grin: .

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 21:18:06 »
I can only talk Tiger.. I never took my hands off the Strom.. The Tiger tracks perfectly at from around 20 to 45 mph.. never done it faster than that

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 21:25:00 »
Quote from: "Snapper"
I'd be really interested to hear if you have the old problem back again  :) .

Was out today Snapper and had a few 'no hands' moments (just to check for you) at various speeds and didn't experience any wobble at all. So it must've been my imagination that it disappeared when I changed tyres away from the OE Trailwings on my last bike.

That's been no help at all hasn't it  :shy:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 21:44:35 »
I tried briefly with my bike at 40mph and it did exhibit a slight weave. Nowt to shout about, but it was there.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Phil from Woodton

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 16:27:05 »
I had exactly what you described when I had a Metzler Tourance on the front...I even got the wheel ballanced to try and solve the problem. But a change of tyre on the front wheel meant that it is now wobble free.

Phil

Offline greywolf

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 16:50:50 »
As I mentioned in a previous post, front Tourances are often reported to cause a wobble.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Stromtrooper james

• Bike: DL650 2011 70K+miles DL1000 2017 12k miles
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 20:17:23 »
it does down in to a hole that I don't think a pin spanner will reach