Author Topic: Standard vibration levels.  (Read 764 times)

Offline macamx

Standard vibration levels.
« on: August 20, 2015, 18:25:22 »
I appreciate this is hugely subjective but can anyone put into words the level of vibration that one should expect to experience through the bars and the footrests on a well maintained Glee.

Geoff.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Standard vibration levels.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 18:30:21 »
If I think about it I get some in the pegs, but not much. Don't notice any in the bars. Used to get more with original OEM bars. I've always ridden V-twins so don't really notice though.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 18:44:53 »
A little bit through the pegs, a little bit through the bars, nothing too intrusive but I used to get slightly tingly fingers after a long ride
I thought my Heed bars amplified vibes after I fitted them, I repositioned the joining clamp and at the same time fitted heated grips - no more tingly fingers, don't know which improved it though!

Offline Chalkmyster

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 20:55:43 »
May be we should get all get together and ride each others bikes to see who's is the worst and what is acceptable....where could we meet? :shrug:  :)  .

I do think my bike vibrates more than others, on some days more than others but pending on fuel, tyres and weather through the pegs, handle bars (front tyre is due a change) and engine bars - these have been removed but not made any difference.
Regards,

Chalky,

Offline alibx11

• Bike: 2012 V Strom 650 al2
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 23:08:13 »
Balance the throttle bodies,

I did mine on Monday night and it seems to have made a difference.

Problem is that the TB's should be balanced at idle but I noticed my front cylinder was always sucking in a higher vacuum and was reading higher on the gauges when revved so also had to adjust the linkage screws, which then upset the idle vacuum, so took a bit of fiddling between the two but got it perfect over all revs.

Don't see the point in setting the TB's at idle when we are getting the vibs at the 4.5k rpm point anyway.
Same thing with the engine bars, they will only magnify any roughness in the engine at those revs, like a tuning fork at a certain resonance, so makes sense to balance the bike across the rev range.

That said you will always get a certain roughness with a V-Twin, called character.
I had a Varadero 100 before and sold it because I was getting numb hands after 300 miles but have ridden over 450 miles a day on the 650 Glee and had no such problem.