Author Topic: Changing spark plugs  (Read 8319 times)

ProfG

Changing spark plugs
« on: July 20, 2015, 15:59:53 »
OK, I did a search but could not find any reference to how you change the spark plugs, especially the front one.

Looking at and reading the workshop manual, it says to undo bolts A and B (as shown in the photo), which I did and pull the radiotor forward, again which I did. However, what they fail to mention is you can pull the radiator only about an inch or so and someone has to hold it in the 'pulled' position for you to be able to get to the HD lead.

Anyway, got to the HD lead and pulled it off. It came off very easily so I assume it had gone loose, hence the problem with the bike.

Now for the life of me I cannot get to the spark plug, cannot reach it with my fingers, cannot get it loose with the plug thingy and cannot insert the HD lead back onto it properly as the washer cap thingy on the HD lead prevents it from being inserted completely to clasp onto the spark plug.

Is there another way like removing the fairing, the forks, the tank, the front wheel and possibly just taking an electric saw to its front just to get access to the effing plug? How do you lot (who say you have changed plugs) do/did it?

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Re: Changing spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 16:07:21 »
OK, you have to remove the two screws that screw into the radiator via the tank fairings at the bottom, the manual does not really explain it clearly.
Push the radiator towards the headlight, away from the engine, you will now have enough room to get at and replace the plug, how do I know this?, just done it.
When you come to the rear one, seat off, side trims off, undo screws in tank panels and remove screws, no need to remove panels, undo tank, lift and support it, you can now get at plug.

Hope it helps

Offline boac

• Bike: 650 AK7
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 16:27:35 »
This might be helpful:

ProfG

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 17:00:44 »
Quote from: "joderest"
OK, you have to remove the two screws that screw into the radiator via the tank fairings at the bottom, the manual does not really explain it clearly.
Push the radiator towards the headlight, away from the engine, you will now have enough room to get at and replace the plug, how do I know this?, just done it.
That's exactly what I did.

The problem is the HD lead does not sit properly back on the spark plug

Offline greywolf

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 18:30:37 »
Take a look at the lead. It should have a rubber nose on the plastic. If it doesn't, the rubber piece could have stuck to the plug. If that happened, figure it's time the coolant should be changed anyway because it's time to drain it and remove the radiator for better access.

Also see if a valve check is due.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

ProfG

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:18:19 »
The nose is OK.

I press the HD lead in place but as soon as I press the start button it starts spitting and splattering and the HD lead comes off  :shrug:

The spark plug socket does not grip the plug, it just rotates freely  :shrug:

Offline V-Strom3

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:08:14 »
Can you not tweak the connector to make it a tighter fit (using an old plug to check fit)?
Mine is very difficult to pull off the spark plug particularly the front one as space is limited.
Life is short - You have to enjoy it on a Wee-Strom!

Offline joderest

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:47 »
Stop, is the plug tight in the engine????
is compression blowing by the plug and blowing the plug cap off ???

Little bit worried when you say plug spanner just keeps turning.
You need to check if the plug is loose before it blows out and wrecks the threads.

ProfG

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 12:43:20 »
I shall try and take a photograph of the plug using my phone camera. I am not sure whether there should be a rubber ring at the end of the HT lead (there is one on the Bandit HT leads) and if so whether that ring has come off and prevents the HT lead sitting properly on the plug. That will also explain why I cannot get a grip on the plug with the plug socket.

ProfG

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 12:51:40 »
Just checked on eBay. There are rubber ring ends on the HT lead. Mine does not have it so I assume it has come off which explains why I cannot get the plug socket to fit.

Now comes the hard part of extracting that rubber from the socket. Maybe a thin nose plier or a pincer would do the job but it is a very tight space to work in. I have pushed the radiator back and held it in place with a piece of copper pipe lodged between the radaitor frame and the engine to give me working room but it is still quite tight.

Stupid Suzuki design  :violence-smack:

Offline joderest

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 13:11:49 »
Phew, that's better. Glad not the plug loose
Have you got something like a small bit of weld rod ?
Make a hook on the end, push it past the rubber and then hook it out.

ProfG

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 13:16:22 »
good idea  :thumb:

Don't have a welding rod but a piece of wire coat hanger might do the trick

Offline joderest

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 18:10:45 »
Good thought, let us all know how you get on.  :old:

ProfG

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 18:42:02 »
No rubber ring and the photos seem to show the plug has dropped  :shrug:

I used the little tool a friend gave me but I could not feel anyrubber so I inserted the phone and took a few photos.

Any ideas anyone?

HT Lead

HT Lead

Spark plug

Spark plug

Scrape tool (or whatever it is called)

Offline joderest

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 18:53:13 »
hmmm.
The plug cap looks OK, the little wire bit grips the thread of the top of the plug.
what is more worrying is the shot of spark plug hole, I cannot see the top of the plug. You should be able to see the white part with the thread on top.
You really need to investigate further. either the plug has "blown" apart, or snapped and bits have exited from the top of the engine.
if you run it, can you feel a blast of air from the plug hole ? if so, compression is escaping.

Offline V-Strom3

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 18:54:26 »
A query for someone.
Would the rear pot spark plug lead fit the front?
As in fix the front and repair the rear with a bit more ease when parts are available.

Or is part of the lead still around the spark plug?

Did you get the spark plug out?
Life is short - You have to enjoy it on a Wee-Strom!

Offline greywolf

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 18:58:31 »
I can see the rubber ring at the top of the spark plug. It's exactly what I thought the problem would be.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline joderest

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 19:01:05 »
I agree, the ring looks like it is in there, however, the top of the plug should have a thread, not a hole.
I suspect something has happened.
Get the black bit out as greywolf states, then you should be able to get the plug out, as I cannot even see the hex part of the plug

ProfG

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 19:04:26 »
GW, when I insert and move the toolamathingy, all it does is scrape the metal. I do not feel any rubber bits. If you look carefully you will see a yellowish-greenish half crescent around the plug. The top of the plug seems hollow. Is that how it should be?

I asked a mechanic friend and he will come over on saturday to take the bike apart and fix it.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 19:11:50 »
There is rubber there. It is soft and difficult to feel. Another problem is you left the hourglass plug top on. It needs to come off to fit. The plug needed to look like this.

Not this. The top part unscrews.