Author Topic: whine  (Read 1352 times)

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
whine
« on: June 05, 2015, 18:45:42 »
Hi All
I seem to remember someone on here stating that the DL650 has straight cut gears, hence will have a transmission whine.
I know that at the moment I have a really knackered chain and sprockets, but just wondered if transmission whine was normal for these bikes.
I am going to do chain and sprockets next week, any tips to make job go smoothly ?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
Re: whine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 20:25:06 »
Loosen the front sprocket nut before breaking the chain. Block of wood between the swingarm and spokes or sit on bike while standing on the brake pedal while cracking the nut.

Offline joderest

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 18:13:37 »
OK, started on chain and sprocket swap, tried every bolt/screw yesterday to make sure all would come apart, got home from work this afternoon and removed front cover, bent back locking tab, 32 mm socket and long bar, could not shift the nut. OK, block of wood through wheel and on swing arm, bar on, hit with lump hammer, still no go. OK, trolley jack out, bar on nut, jack bar up nearly lifting bike off the ground, tap with lump hammer, still the bugger will not come undone, neighbour came over, both of us on a very long bar, nope, still will not shift.
Put it all back together and will take it to a motor shop tomorrow and see if they can shift it with an air gun.

Why oh why do techs do things up so tight !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 19:12:28 »
Don't be too hard on the mechanic it something that happens, an impact wrench is the sure fire way to cracking that nut off

Offline joderest

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 12:02:56 »
I took bike to local garage, exposed nut for them, 5 seconds with impact gun, off it came !!!!!!!!!!!
Put it back on and nipped up, re tagged, hope it is good when I get home, so full strip down tonight with luck.

Next tool, 24 volt impact gun !

Offline joderest

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 14:06:40 »
Hello.
New chain and sprockets fitted, mucked up the link, managed to have one of the seals come out the side, oh well, doing that part again next week, kind dealers sent me two as a good will gesture (delivery of chain was late).
I have also checked over the brakes and other running gear. Re sprayed the wheels silver, looks very good.
Made "schoolboy" error with oil change, thought I had over filled it as could not see oil level in sight glass, so drained a litre out, still no level in site glass, then it struck me, it did not have enough in the bike to reach the sight glass, DOH.
It rides so much better, so little noise now, and dry "whine" sound has gone.
Next job, a belly pan to tidy up the bottom end.
Looked into fitting a DL1000 one, but every one said they will not fit, I like the look of the power bronze one, so may well go for that.
When I can work it out, I will post some pics of the bike with silver wheels, I think looks much better, but then I would !!!!